Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-05, 01:39 AM   #13
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
And now, apparently, you get MORE for cheaper if you go retail :\.
So if they eliminate retail entirely, they'll not only save cash by not using a publisher, but they can make even more cash by charging whatever they want, whenever they want. If they charge too much, less people will buy, perhaps, but since their overhead is so low, they'll make a killing regardless. This is one company that should have no control whatsoever in the pricing of their product.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 01:48 AM   #14
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Wow... what the hell is wrong with Valve, are they really trying to detroy the good name that Half-Life got them??? With the horribly organized packages (as well as retail), all the gripes about bugs going unfixed (and updates that break things), all the unnecessary problems caused by Steam, the crappy marketting and PR, now they are OBVIOUSLY milking their fans for all they are worth, despite all they said Steam would bring for the gamers.

With Steam, prices are higher and the money all goes to Valve as far as I know... the game is practically un-piratable as it as (dont quote me on that) so they have made back huge amounts of money that way and they have managed to avoid publishers for a pretty decent chunk of their sales, yet for some reason they still feel the need to raise prices.

Its pretty pathetic when the first example of this "major advancement" in computer gaming (online distribution without a publisher getting in the way) is exploited and abused to no end.

Kiss my ass Valve

Everyone says its the greedy publishers that are killing PC gaming, but its not... its greedy people in general.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 01:54 AM   #15
de><ta
prodigy

Talking Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

HL2? What is this HL2 you speak of?

/me gets back to playing the FEAR mp demo

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 01:59 AM   #16
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Well, so much for people saying that with Steam both the consumer and the developers would have benefits. Right now, I'm seeing that only the greedy developers are having benefits. (Wait, wasn't the publishers the bad guys ?)

I the end, I say: long live the (greedy) publishers!
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 02:33 AM   #17
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
With Steam, prices are higher and the money all goes to Valve as far as I know... the game is practically un-piratable as it as (dont quote me on that)
Gonna have to quote you anyways

Actually the ironic thing is that in spite of steam being required to activate the game in the first place, many of the people who downloaded pirated copies actually got to play the game before the legit users did. Valves content servers were pretty clogged up on that day. However, bittorrent wasn't clogged up on that day, apparently.

You probably can't play it multiplayer with a pirated copy (actually that is true with pretty much any game these days,) but sure enough, the pirates have had HL2 ever since the beginning. Steam has done almost nothing to prevent piracy, other than add a bit of inconvenience.

Actually strike that. I have heard a few times that steam has done the opposite of preventing piracy. Apparently some people have figured out how to discreetly hack steam so that it'll give them free access to the games. One such method was leaked to the public once and valve fixed that loophole, but I am sure there are other non-public methods in existence which valve isn't aware of. Worse is they'll probably allow multiplay whereas this is not possible with casual piracy of most games.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 03:02 AM   #18
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Crap like this makes me want to club people to death with my dick.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 03:41 AM   #19
jolle

Hmm.. Steam sales are going directly to Valve and not to the publishers..
Didnt Valve sign a dark unholy contract with EA?
Maybe EA said to valve "Hey, you thinking of playing us like you did Vivendi? no way man, you either up you Steam prices ALOT or you dont have a publisher"
EA is a big fan of money, and if my sources are right, not a big fan of loosing money...

Just a thought *Insert eerie X-files music here*
Old 10-12-05, 03:43 AM   #20
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

That's pretty disappointing I must admit. I wonder if the new pricing structure has been arranged by the EA guys, since we all know EA are always after more money. I'm not looking for a scapegoat, it probably is Valve :/

Old 10-12-05, 03:54 AM   #21
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
That's pretty disappointing I must admit. I wonder if the new pricing structure has been arranged by the EA guys, since we all know EA are always after more money. I'm not looking for a scapegoat, it probably is Valve :/
Yeah maybe the Steam Sales were going so well they figured "lets se how much they will pay".. there is after all a convinience thing about buying online..
But it shouldnt be more expensive since ALOT of middle hands are cut out, the actual "hardware" (dvd, case, manual), the pressing of the DVDs, the shipping around the world, the sales in store etc..
Compared to the single cost of bandwidth on Steam.
So basicly I would guess if they charged the same on both retail and Steam, they would get more money from the Steam sale..

I cant really se anything that would motivate a higher price, when its ONLY affecting the online sales, other then a deal with the new publisher to keep Online sales DOWN, since the publisher isnt getting any of that action..
Or Valve is just greedy, but then they could have raised the retail price aswell..
Old 10-12-05, 05:14 AM   #22
grey_1

Hmmm, Looked thru all their packages and can't even find a kiss to go along with the screwing.....*uninstalls hl2/steam AGAIN*
Old 10-12-05, 04:05 PM   #23
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
Hmm.. Steam sales are going directly to Valve and not to the publishers..
Didnt Valve sign a dark unholy contract with EA?
Maybe EA said to valve "Hey, you thinking of playing us like you did Vivendi? no way man, you either up you Steam prices ALOT or you dont have a publisher"
EA is a big fan of money, and if my sources are right, not a big fan of loosing money...

Just a thought *Insert eerie X-files music here*
Haha, you know, when I saw these new packages I thought to myself "Wow, Valve has really gone the way of EA", and I didn't even remember that EA was handling retail distribution at the time. The two most greedy videogame companies out there are both involved in the same game, go figure

I don't think EA had much to do with it though. More than likely, with the release of DoD:S, Valve knew that they could charge a lot more for packages that included it. Back when Silver was made, the only advantage that it had at the time was the back catalog, since the promised DoD:S was a ways off (and HL:S, but you could get that in a retail package so it wasn't exclusive to the Silver/Gold). Now that you get DoD:S immediately when you buy the game, they no longer need to have the back catalog as an incentive for people to buy the $59.99 package.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 04:17 PM   #24
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Crap like this makes me want to club people to death with my dick.
I want to write a book of all your quotes...hahahaaha
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote