Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-05, 04:25 PM   #25
ST:DS9

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

From what I can tell, the new retail packages out there don't even have EA on the box. I believe Valve is being the official publisher, and they are only using EAs resources to get it on the shelves, so I have a feeling that Valve is even making most of the money from the retail sales, instead of EA since EA is not the publisher. Valve is probably paying them a set price to make the retail versions. Soon there will be no more Vivendi versions out there, and only the GOTY edition will be out there, which is the same as Vivendi version. So this is the way I look at it.

HL2, LC only 39.99
HL2, CS:S, HL2M, LC: 49.99 (retail, Valve Published version, EA distrubuted)
HL2, CS:S, HL:S, HL2M, DOD:S, LC: 59.99
HL2, CS:S, HL:S, HL2M, DOD:S, LC, back catalog: $79.99

I noticed a pattern here, if you look at the first 3 packages here, you will notice that you pay $10 more for 2 more games over the previous packages. Then you pay $20 more for the whole back catalog. The new pricing seems very reasonable. Heck the retail package at 49.99 is set at the normal price of any top tier games, and many games still sell for that price even after a year or more. So I don't see any problem with this new pricing.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 04:36 PM   #26
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan
Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Hey everyone ... I just saw on a webpage ... HL3 is going to be $99 .. will come with no other mods or games.. but will come with a free toaster!!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 04:38 PM   #27
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
The new pricing seems very reasonable. Heck the retail package at 49.99 is set at the normal price of any top tier games, and many games still sell for that price even after a year or more.
Except it doesn't actually sell at that price. In the case of valves games, cutting out the middleman adds to the consumers cost.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 04:40 PM   #28
superklye

Quote:
So I don't see any problem with this new pricing.
Of course you don't. You don't see any problem with anything VALVe does. Gabe? Is that you, man?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 05:00 PM   #29
slick
Play with conviction.

As much as VALVe might be screwing people CS is worse than crack.
Old 10-12-05, 05:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Except it doesn't actually sell at that price. In the case of valves games, cutting out the middleman adds to the consumers cost.
Vivendi's version doesn't really count. The price for Vivendi price seems very normal when it is a product that is not going to be sold and not going to be made anymore, Vivendi needs to get rid of thier surplus so they sell cheap to retailers. Vivendi version is a discontinued product, and will be off the shelves soon. So I don't see how the 49.99 price is increasing the cost to the consumer, HL2 should not have dropped to 29.99 in the first place, and it would not have if it wasn't for the fact that Vivendi is no longer the publisher. In other words, the price would still be 49.99 for retail if Vivendi was still the publisher. Why should Valve base thier prices on a discountinued product, when that package is still worth the 49.99 price. Remember, the price of a product is going to be set based on what the consumer is willing to pay. I garuntee you that Valve did the research and found that people are still willing to pay the 49.99 price for retail, and those prices for the Steam versions. Maybe because of my retail back ground and my schooling in buisness I have a better understanding about this kind of stuff, so I can understand these prices.
Old 10-12-05, 05:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Of course you don't. You don't see any problem with anything VALVe does. Gabe? Is that you, man?
No, they do have problems, this pricing isn't one of them though. Thier pricing is within the industry standard.
Old 10-12-05, 05:14 PM   #32
slick
Play with conviction.

And on a side note, they are selling CS:S bare for $20. That is a steal IMO. Then again CS is pretty much all I play.

Old 10-12-05, 05:15 PM   #33
Rakeesh

Quote:
Vivendi's version doesn't really count. The price for Vivendi price seems very normal when it is a product that is not going to be sold and not going to be made anymore, Vivendi needs to get rid of thier surplus so they sell cheap to retailers. Vivendi version is a discontinued product, and will be off the shelves soon.
Retailers still have ample supplies of that. They are selling it at a reduced cost because they can't get rid of the damn thing. Every month fry's has a sale and they put that at $19.95. They do these discounts with all of their products that aren't selling, thats why once a month they have a four page ad. In spite of this happening 3 months in a row now, that same block that contains about 80 copies of the game at my local fry's is still completely full.

By the time the vivendi version is sold out, the same price reduction will happen with the GOTY version, I guarentee it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
And on a side note, they are selling CS:S bare for $20. That is a steal IMO. Then again CS is pretty much all I play.
Just wait til Fry's has another sale. You'll get that plus HL2 and HL2DM for the same price.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 05:35 PM   #34
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
Just wait til Fry's has another sale. You'll get that plus HL2 and HL2DM for the same price.
Unfortunately I don't have a Fry's within an hour drive from my place, which really sucks because I'm always hearing about these great deals that they're running.
Old 10-12-05, 06:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Retailers still have ample supplies of that. They are selling it at a reduced cost because they can't get rid of the damn thing. Every month fry's has a sale and they put that at $19.95. They do these discounts with all of their products that aren't selling, thats why once a month they have a four page ad. In spite of this happening 3 months in a row now, that same block that contains about 80 copies of the game at my local fry's is still completely full.

By the time the vivendi version is sold out, the same price reduction will happen with the GOTY version, I guarentee it.

Yet, my local Gamestop and EB Games are out of them and not getting any more in, but they do have the GOTY edition that thay always seem to be selling and repleneshing. Perhap Frys just bought a huge boat load of them, and now they have alot to get rid of.
Old 10-12-05, 07:06 PM   #36
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Soon there will be no more Vivendi versions out there, and only the GOTY edition will be out there, which is the same as Vivendi version.
No, the GOTY edition now includes HL:S. This makes the comparision:

$39.99 - Steam
  • HL2
  • Lost Coast

$49.99 - Retail
  • HL2
  • Lost Coast
  • HL2: DM
  • CS:S
  • HL:S

$59.99 - Steam
  • HL2
  • Lost Coast
  • HL2: DM
  • CS:S
  • HL:S
  • DoD:S

The ONLY difference between the $49.99 and $59.99 version is DoD:S, and of course you get a physical copy of the game from retail. There really isn't ANY reason to get the $39.99 version unless you have absolutely no interest in multiplayer or HL:S (in which case, the Vivendi retail version can be bought for cheaper). Plus, there's the fact that the game has been out for nearly a YEAR, and the prices are INCREASING instead of decreasing. For a distribution method that's supposed to benefit consumers, it seems to be having the opposite effect.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote