Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-05, 09:15 AM   #49
ST:DS9

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar
To the poster that said $20 is a "steal" for CS:S: I know what a "steal" is. It's not paying for a game that the seller didnt make. How about we go "steal" someone elses work and charge people 20 bucks to play it? I know I know, Valve upgraded CS. They upgraded it with 10 fewer maps, including those which were there back in beta 5, 1 character model per team, and buggy hitboxes. Hey, looking at it this way, it really does look like a good deal to me!
How can they steal someone else work, when they paid the modding team and hired some of them, and these people are the ones that made CS:S?
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 09:36 AM   #50

Default Re: Hope none of you were planning on buying HL2 from Steam anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
It took you long enough...

And, look, I don't care if you think they're doing "the right thing" because these Steam packages don't affect me. I already bought the game and I'm not going to buy it again. The only reason I argue with you about what a piece of sh!t VALVe is, is because it THEIR game and regardless of the CE being "Vivendi's product" there is nothing stopping VALVe from giving the CE owners DoD:S. I know it didn't say anything about it on the box, but does that mean they can't do a nice thing? You seem to think they're so ****ing great and wonderful, yet they can't give an extra game to people that overpaid $80 for something not worth $40.

We don't see eye to eye and we won't so there is no point in arguing about it. I think VALVe is a bunch of used, dried up condoms on some scuzzy gas station bathroom floor, and you think they're the second coming of Christ. Whatever. It's cool.

You are getting confused with agreeing with a buisness practice, and being a fanboy of a developer. Like I said, it could be any developer, whether I like thier games or not, that could do the same exact thing and I would still agree with that buisness practice. So don't be confusing me agreeing with a buisness practice as being a fanboy. I would think that I would have to think that HL1 and/or HL2 are the greatest game ever made to be a fanboy, and I dont think they are anything more special then any other top tier FPS. There is no FPS on my list of the greatest games ever made, because there doesn't seem to be a FPS that really stands out agains other FPS, that and the lack of innovation in FPS.
Old 10-14-05, 07:19 PM   #51
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
But DOD:S is not just run of the mill mod, it was a game created from the ground up using the Souce engine. Its not fair to consider every game that Valve makes using the Source engine as a mod, if you do that then you would have to consider every game that uses Souce engine as a Mod like Vampires Bloodlines.
Maybe you forgot that DOD is/was a simple mod created way back on the first HL engine and was free for a LONG time. Also, valve did not build DOD:S from the ground up... they used much of the content and game from the original mod and just upgraded some of the textures and models (maybe a few new maps .. not sure). Its hardy a new game built souly by valve. Id pay $10 tops for DOD:S and thats being kind....
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 08:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
You are getting confused with agreeing with a buisness practice, and being a fanboy of a developer. Like I said, it could be any developer, whether I like thier games or not, that could do the same exact thing and I would still agree with that buisness practice. So don't be confusing me agreeing with a buisness practice as being a fanboy. I would think that I would have to think that HL1 and/or HL2 are the greatest game ever made to be a fanboy, and I dont think they are anything more special then any other top tier FPS. There is no FPS on my list of the greatest games ever made, because there doesn't seem to be a FPS that really stands out agains other FPS, that and the lack of innovation in FPS.
I wish that I could make a good enough mod, that a developer/publisher decides to buy if from me, and even hire me. Do you guys ever think about the people who made the mod? The modders could have said no to Valve, but they didn't, they would have been morons to say no. If you made a mod and a developer wanted to buy it from you, would you really say no? Valve buying these mods have given more incentive to make better quality mods, modders now have a chance to make money off thier work, and might even get a career from it.
Old 10-15-05, 01:37 AM   #53
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
. Do you see me flaming people for having a differnet opinion them me. At least I can respect some elses opinion, even if it is different then mine. Its called maturity.
It isn't a flame, it is called objectivity. BTW, why do you quote yourself?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 02:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
It isn't a flame, it is called objectivity. BTW, why do you quote yourself?
Whoops, didn't mean to quote myself, meant to quote the post below that one. Some forums I goto the quote button is on top.
Old 10-15-05, 08:23 AM   #55
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Less of the name calling please! We're not kids here.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote