Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-05, 04:16 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce 6200 freezes and no video

Does this problem also reproduce with the 1.0-8174 driver?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 03:25 AM   #14
Druker

Yesterday I tried Q3A on my FSC 3438G (SUSE 10.1 Alpha3, 8174 nVIDIA binary drivers). Intro video plays sound but does not show video itself. Pressing escape skips intro video and I can see "Please enter key:" window. After I enter license key, I'm presented with main game window showing "single player, multiplayer, settings...". At this stage game is working perfectly, it's possible to alert settings, and I can even fight first arena in single player. But after I win first arena, game hangs at the screen where awards are given. After I restart game, I have second, third and so on arenas unlocked, but trying to enter them hangs game. When the game is hang I switch to vt1 and see that quake3.x86 consumes ~99% CPU. Sound plays looped during hang, so that's not only screen redraw problem. If I kill quake3.x86 process from vt1 control returns to X11/KDE and I can use desktop as usual. This isn't sound problem either because ingame (playing first arena and browsing main menu) sound works perfect.

I tried fullscreen mode so far (1440x900@24bpp).
Druker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 11:14 AM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Those could be Quake3 bugs you're hitting. Please generate a bug report while those problems are present.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 11:09 PM   #16
burnin1965

Hey Lonni, guess what, the new drivers took care of the AGP+6xxx problem, WOOHOO!!!

I just ran the new drivers and the same setup that was giving grief with the GeForce6200 and GeForce6600GT AGP cards and there are no further issues. The game video starts up right away, no more blank dislpay, and it continues to play without the pauses and loss of video.

Nvidia rocks! Its nice to have you guys takin' care of us linux guys.

burnin
burnin1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 12:39 AM   #17
madcoder

I have a feeling this problem has not completely been resolved. I'm running Gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.16, and the nvidia driver version 8178, and I'm experiencing similar problems.

My problem is not intermittant however. It seems ANY kind of video causes X to freeze, consuming 100% CPU. I've experienced these freezes while attempting to play a DVD (originally I thought it was the DVD drive giving me problems, but..) and I just recently discovered that it freezes even when playing a .avi or .mpg video. If I play the DVD or video with a null video output (mplayer -vo null dvd://1), then it plays fine, as I can watch the counter display advance, I hear the audio playing perfectly, and when I press Q, the player exits successfully. If I try outputting to the screen though, it freezes instantly.

With the DVD, I see the widescreen window appear, but no visual appears in it, and I hear sound for about 1 second. Then the audio stops and everything freezes. The mouse cursor moves, but X does not respond to anything at all. If I SSH in, I see that 'X' is consuming 100% CPU.

I'm running X at 1920x1080 (or 1776, or a variety of other HD1080i resolutions), at 24bpp. The problem occurs whether I connect the HDTV via component or via DVI-to-HDMI.

The problem is not OpenGL (apparently), as I am able to view all the GL screensavers in xscreensaver, and glxgears runs fine. I am using the nvidia-glx module as well. I've already tried disabling agpgart in the kernel, and have tried various xorg.conf options (NvAGP 0 and 1, disabling RenderAccel, disabling Composite, etc).

It appears that this problem is quite rampant among the 66xx cards, as I've seen numerous forum posts (here and on other sites) complaining of similar problems. I haven't seen anyone complain of a problem like mine, where they get *no* video though -- it seems to be most often a problem of a game freezing (100% CPU, mouse moves, but X doesn't respond) a while after playing the game.

Should I try to downgrade the nvidia driver to the version that fixed burnin1965's problem? I'm confused, because the problem occurs with each of the 3 drivers i've tried (6129, 71xx, and 8178). I can try the 8174 driver to see if that helps. I'll also produce a bug-report log if you'd like.
madcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 04:28 PM   #18
madcoder

Wanted to update on this problem. It appears the freeze only happens when using the xv or x11 video output drivers. If I use opengl (mplayer -vo gl, or xine -V opengl), the video will play fine. In fact, my step mother put it through the ultimate test by watching 6 hours of a Korean TV show DVD set (don't ask..)

But as soon as I try to play any sort of video using xv or x11 drivers, it freezes and my only option is to reboot. Which seems to be a problem cause I can't seem to get mythtv to play video using opengl. The PVR records video as an mpeg, and if I try playing those mpg files outside of myth, using mplayer or xine, they play fine. But if I try watching them in Myth, or watching livetv in Myth, it will crash. I've already changed the "player" settings to include the appropriate video output driver for opengl, but apparently the TV part of it is not configurable like that. This *does* allow me to watch a DVD from within mythtv, because it just launches xine.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it would be freezing when I use xv or x11? It may not be nvidia-related as I originally thought.
madcoder is offline   Reply With Quote