Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-05, 11:23 AM   #133
macatak

Default Re: *** Official F.E.A.R. Feedback Thread ***

I just checked, with AA on Soft Shadows don't work
Old 10-18-05, 11:25 AM   #134
myshkinbob

That's kind of what i said 6 posts back, hehe. Still good to hear some confirmation.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 11:48 AM   #135
|MaguS|

Jin thinks Im cute!

Man, I think this is probably one of the most interactive FPS games ever, Im not just talking about enviroments, You can actually interupt conversations or linger in the dark and hear even more...

Anyone who has a complaint about the graphics needs a swift kick in the nuts, these are by far some of the best I have ever seen. I just love how I got my ass handed to me because I couldn't see through the dust that was kicked up during a hallway firefight.

btw Im playing on the hardest difficulty!

EDIT: I have not experianced any issue with the game so far, It would pause for acouple of seconds during a checkpoint save but thats normal for most games which incoperate it. Im running at 1280x960 @ 4xAA/8xAF and max settings minus Soft Shadows.
Old 10-18-05, 11:51 AM   #136
Superfly
Retired

the UK version (which ships on DVD) and got delivered to me this morning seems to also contain all the extra content from the special edition??

even the auto run menu clearly states its the "DVD Special Edition" yet I only paid standard price and the game came in the standard box and cover.......
Old 10-18-05, 12:02 PM   #137
myshkinbob

Just to update, with patch 1.01 and the 81.85 drivers, the softshadows selection is still ignored when you use AA. I wonder if this is a fear problem or driver problem.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
Old 10-18-05, 12:08 PM   #138
|MaguS|

You cannot use AA and Soft Shadows with FEAR, its a Engine Limitation. Its not a driver bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadMe
GENERAL Graphics Issues:

* The Soft Shadows option will have no effect if the Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing
(FSAA) option is enabled. Also, you may notice odd rendering issues with
shadows in the game if you enable this option while FSAA is enabled
through the Windows(R) control panel.
Old 10-18-05, 12:52 PM   #139
myshkinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
You cannot use AA and Soft Shadows with FEAR, its a Engine Limitation. Its not a driver bug.
Oops, would help if i actually read the readme, thanks.

I did just go back to the SP demo, cus i was sure i could enable AA and soft shadows at the same time in the performance menu. I thought maybe in the SP demo it just worked vice-versa and ignored the AA if you selected soft shadows. But it actually applies both without issues.

noAA

2xAA

4xAA

All selected using the ingame performance menu. I played the demo through and didn't see any rendering problems either, strange they took it out, oh well.

Edit:

I just figured out how to run softshadows and AA in the retail game. If you try to force AA through the control panel, when you enable softshadows the shadows are totally screwed up. However, i've found a way to trick the game into applying the AA itself without any crazy artifacts. You'd need to do this each time you load the game, as it doesn't save.

This step might not be neccessary, but i set up a fear profile in nhancer.

1. load the game
2. go to options, performance, graphics - set AA to off, set softshadows to off, then to on.
3. Click back, test settings, hit esc when you see it's rendering the soft shadows in the test.
4. go back into the graphics options, set AA to 2x or 4x.
5.click back, test settings, you should see softshadows and AA working, without artifacts.
6. Go load your savegame.

Here's my test result, 1024x768, 2xAA, softshadows on
Old 10-18-05, 01:26 PM   #140
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Here's my 2 cents on playing for about an hour so far . . .

This game is fantastic; some words just can't describe this game. The gunfights are amazing and so different from any FPS I've ever played. The SlowMo effects are gorgeous, AI is really cool (they like to flank me alot lol) and so is the effects on the environment (bullet holes and stuff).

One complaint I do have is the performance. Maybe I don't have everything tweaked out but I'm working on it. When running the game in wide screen (1680x1050), I got an average of 25-30 FPS but was pretty choppy. I cut the res down to 1280x1024 and it boosted me up to about 50-70 FPS. Also, the graphics aren't the best that I've ever seen. Maybe I should just say that this wasn't groundbreaking visuals ya know?

Has anyone checked out the bonus content yet? It's really cool to see how they made FEAR. Instead of just making the game, BETA testing and throwing out on the shelves, they made the primary focus play testing. Looks like there were a ton of play testers that really enjoyed their job.

Overall, I'd give FEAR a 9.8 out of 10. And just to throw this in, I'm enjoying FEAR a little more than I did Doom 3. Compared to Half Life 2 (as a whole), FEAR and HL2 are neck and neck.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-05, 01:32 PM   #141
Roliath

With the new patch and new drivers, I no longer am experiencing any lock ups (Thank God!)...
However i'm now at a part in the game that is freaking hard, and i keep dying (god damn rockets)...
Old 10-18-05, 01:35 PM   #142
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

woot just bought FEAR... when i get home from work its playtime
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:38 PM   #143
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

haha there is a guy in the game who has a belt that says RTFM on it!! ROFL!!
Old 10-18-05, 01:46 PM   #144
|MaguS|

I found one annoying bug, Sometimes enemies will spawn either invisible or in a wall... they can still shoot you aswell. To fix it, just reload the last save. Sucks but for the only bug in the game that I found, I can forgive it.

Man, At the highest difficulty the game is TOUGH. This is probably one of the first FPS games that I have played in awhile that I have died often because of the AI and not my own stupid mistake.

9.9 out of 10 for me. I love the authentic scariness of it.