Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-05, 01:37 AM   #1
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Yay (rant inside, valve fans, steer clear)

Well... like I said in the other topic... Hidden Source beta 2 came out... so I went to play it and of course Valve has to release a patch that completely breaks every user mod... so anyway... Steam crashes and when I go back, it is saying I don't have Half Life 2 or Counter Strike Source installed. So I go to my folder and sure enough... they are still there... but does Steam let me play ANYTHING USING SOURCE? Of course not... so now I am left with a pile of crap piece of software I hated to begin with... and now it won't even let me play my freaking game without downloading the entire thing again, which I refuse to do because I shouldn't have to since it is Valve's problem... but of course I know not to email them, because they SUCK with support and I would either get some copy and paste reponse if I was lucky... or of course NO RESPONSE AT ALL.

Great software valve... glad you like to delete my games randomly and not allow me to play them unless I install it TWICE. Can't wait for more games to be released for ridiculous prices that you won't be able to play after a few months... I also love that a 1 meg update takes 2 years to download.

GO GO PILE OF TRASH BLOATED TRASH SOFTWARE!
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 02:43 AM   #2
Rakeesh

Default Re: Yay (rant inside, valve fans, steer clear)

Yeah I hear that. Myself and many others posting to the beta wiki recommended to the steam developers that they hold off the beta for another week and continue agressively patching it. Instead they went ahead and just released it that day. I am not currently having any outstanding problems with it, but there are quite a bit of issues (some major) listed on the bugs wiki.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 05:19 AM   #3
ST:DS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Well... like I said in the other topic... Hidden Source beta 2 came out... so I went to play it and of course Valve has to release a patch that completely breaks every user mod... so anyway... Steam crashes and when I go back, it is saying I don't have Half Life 2 or Counter Strike Source installed. So I go to my folder and sure enough... they are still there... but does Steam let me play ANYTHING USING SOURCE? Of course not... so now I am left with a pile of crap piece of software I hated to begin with... and now it won't even let me play my freaking game without downloading the entire thing again, which I refuse to do because I shouldn't have to since it is Valve's problem... but of course I know not to email them, because they SUCK with support and I would either get some copy and paste reponse if I was lucky... or of course NO RESPONSE AT ALL.

Great software valve... glad you like to delete my games randomly and not allow me to play them unless I install it TWICE. Can't wait for more games to be released for ridiculous prices that you won't be able to play after a few months... I also love that a 1 meg update takes 2 years to download.

GO GO PILE OF TRASH BLOATED TRASH SOFTWARE!

Well that really sucks. I searched through the Steam forums to see if other people were having this same kind of problem, and there were others. The discussions have not yet found a solution to this problem. Even if you don't think that you will get a response or a response that will work, I would still suggest following that what this page says CLICK HERE . This will atleast let Valve know about the problem if they dont know about it, or if they do then they'll might know just how much of a problem.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 09:37 AM   #4
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Well that really sucks. I searched through the Steam forums to see if other people were having this same kind of problem, and there were others. The discussions have not yet found a solution to this problem. Even if you don't think that you will get a response or a response that will work, I would still suggest following that what this page says CLICK HERE . This will atleast let Valve know about the problem if they dont know about it, or if they do then they'll might know just how much of a problem.
That is worthless, you aren't going to get anywhere with that. If you want results, you have to wait until the next open beta when the developers are taking open requests for bug fixes, and submit bugs to them directly. That is the only way I was able to get my biggest beef with steam resolved. It took longer than a year of waiting on the support system and you know what? They still haven't responded to it yet even though I just had the steamUI team fix it. Its like they just aren't even aware of it, even though I told them.

The fact of the matter is that the valve support system is just a black hole. They just put it there so that you think you are being helped when in fact you aren't.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-15-05, 09:39 AM   #5
slick
Play with conviction.

So what's new with Source that requires this new beta?
Old 10-15-05, 10:42 AM   #6
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
I'm guessing ultra realistic additions to the physics engine. Check out the CSS screen I took last night.

Game physics at it's finest.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 11:13 AM   #7
Rakeesh

Heh. Yeah, a lot of people seem to praise the source engines physics, but I personally am not terribly impressed. Fast moving objects that are anchored have a chaotic movement pattern rather than a fixed one like they should, impaled objects are never attached to whatever is impaling them (if they are, it is attached in the wrong spot,) often times corpses will slide around in a corner perpetually, and it occurs frequently that a corpse is hanging from a ledge by nothing but its hand.

It is no wonder they disabled most of the physics in CS:S as well. In HL2 and HL2DM you can nudge objects in just the right way that they'll make you jump 300 feet in the air. Or sometimes if you brush up against a filing cabinet or boiler the wrong way, you'll find yourself crushed to death instantly even though it didn't actually move more than a quarter of an inch (let alone fall on top of you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
He is actually referring to a third party mod, called "The Hidden: Source"

Old 10-15-05, 02:39 PM   #8
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

I swear I leave Steam on all the time and I NEVER have the problems I keep hearin about. Granted I may not play anything Source related a whole lot but its always running regardless, and always updating. Weird.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-05, 04:35 PM   #9
ST:DS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
That is worthless, you aren't going to get anywhere with that. If you want results, you have to wait until the next open beta when the developers are taking open requests for bug fixes, and submit bugs to them directly. That is the only way I was able to get my biggest beef with steam resolved. It took longer than a year of waiting on the support system and you know what? They still haven't responded to it yet even though I just had the steamUI team fix it. Its like they just aren't even aware of it, even though I told them.

The fact of the matter is that the valve support system is just a black hole. They just put it there so that you think you are being helped when in fact you aren't.
Well I have had a different expierence on 2 seperate occassions with Valves Tech support. Both times they initially sent a pre-generated email, and the things it told me to do worked for one problem but not the other. I sent them another email, and I got a personalized email from them with other things I could do and that worked, and it took a total of a week from my first email till I got it fixed. It doesn't take very long to submit a problem to the support system, what harm can it do to make one, it may just help you, but you won't know until you try.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 10:14 PM   #10
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Well I have had a different expierence on 2 seperate occassions with Valves Tech support. Both times they initially sent a pre-generated email, and the things it told me to do worked for one problem but not the other. I sent them another email, and I got a personalized email from them with other things I could do and that worked, and it took a total of a week from my first email till I got it fixed. It doesn't take very long to submit a problem to the support system, what harm can it do to make one, it may just help you, but you won't know until you try.
I sort of agree. I have only used valve support once.. and that was for my linux source server. They released some update that totally F'ed up my server so I followed the directions in the crash and emailed them and sent them my core dump as requested... they replied back in about a day... and after about 4 days they released a temp update which rolled back the linux servers untill they fixed the issue.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 10:12 PM   #11
OWA

Argh, it was fine the other day after the update but now I'm getting the below in HL2 and CS:Source but Day of Defeat still works.

Did you find a solution or do I just need to go ahead and start the download process again? I'm tempted to just remove it since this kind of thing is just ridiculous. It's also another reason why I won't be purchasing any more games that use Steam.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind on a potential solution. I exited out of steam but then thought of one other thing I wanted to try. Launched HL2 again and this time it worked (no message telling me to install it)??? Man, glad I didn't start the download process again...
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 11:48 PM   #12
Mudcrutch

steam and windows are alike. restarting them can sometimes solve odd issues.
Mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote