Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-05, 01:30 PM   #1
zampe
HVO Master Sergeant

Send a message via ICQ to zampe
Default UFO: Aftershock Demo

Cenega Publishing released the demo which contains three tactical missions situated in London, Paris and Stuttgart.

UFO: Aftershock Demo (267.83MB)
zampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 02:53 PM   #2
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: UFO: Aftershock Demo

Thanks looks interesting will give it a try.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 07:57 PM   #3
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

I'm going to give this a shot - just installed it, but it needs to reboot to actually run. Just for all those who are cautious about Starforce, this DOES contain it, and will install it.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 06:04 AM   #4
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Just played a bit - it didn't grab me. I know the old UFO games really demanded time from you, but this just wasn't as fun as the old turn based mechanic. Why must everything happen in real time these days? I don't know.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Old 10-16-05, 08:12 AM   #5
zampe
HVO Master Sergeant

Send a message via ICQ to zampe

Is there any significant difference between Aftermath and Aftershock?
Screens from both titles looking indentical?!?

and yes StarF*beep* virus infected demo/game, one more reason for avoid them
All games should state on the packaging what protection they use, then the end user knows what they are getting. There is no good reason not to inform us what protection is used after all!
Consumer really have zero rights
zampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 03:10 PM   #6
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Never played Aftermath, which could be why I'm disappointed. I just want Enemy Unknown back

Old 10-22-05, 09:51 AM   #7
Greg

I just tried the demo. I believe Aftershock is an improvement over Aftermath. Its strength and weekness is its attention to detail. You can queue up orders like walk, put grenade in hand, throw, draw weapon and then watch it play out. If any new event occurs, such as spotting a new enemy, the game pauses and you can clear or modify the orders. You still have to baby sit or micromanage your squads actions.

The 3D view is also a strength and weakness. like most 3d strategy games, the scenery now looks quite good, but you have to zoom and rotate to get situation awareness in order to make intelligent moves. If you recall the last official XCom, the units were more autonomous, with an 'attitude' model of reaction. This is quite a different system, I wouldn't say better or worse, just different.

The bottom line is that the game is a valiant effort at recreating UFO/XCom, but may still be a little too complex to have mainstream appeal. If the game remotely interests you, try the demo rather than listen to me, I only played the game for a short time. It is obvious that a large amount of effort was put into this game.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote