Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-05, 02:17 PM   #37
Clay

Default Re: Laser gaming mice suck (firsthand report).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert305
I THINK THIS BOARD (NVNEWS) BASHES PEOPLE TO MUCH... damn if the man does not like the mouse and had a bad time with it who cares.

I have noticed so many comments are bashed on this board and its kind of annoying.. I know I know bash me after I write this comment. But I am just stating my opinion.
Noone is forcing you to stay here. You're free to move one, turn the page, turn the channel, ouch the stove is hot, etc.

If he wants to complain that's fine but he should be equally accepting of rebuttals and not just expect others to blindly agree. Boo hoo.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:21 PM   #38
|MaguS|

Quote:
I THINK THIS BOARD (NVNEWS) BASHES PEOPLE TO MUCH... damn if the man does not like the mouse and had a bad time with it who cares.

I have noticed so many comments are bashed on this board and its kind of annoying.. I know I know bash me after I write this comment. But I am just stating my opinion.
It's not his comments but his trying to force his opinion as the correct and only one. He basically stated that he is right and everyone elses opinion did not matter. Do not buy the mouse because HE said so.

Opinions are like Aholes... everyones got one but only the good ones should be shown... wait... that doesn't sound very good... anyway...
Old 10-18-05, 02:24 PM   #39
slick
Play with conviction.

I am considering get either a G5 or a Copperhead to go with the new system (which just got here today! WOO WOO!), though I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet. I think I'll like the feel of the ambidextrous copperhead better as I use an ambidextrous mouse now. When I game pretty much the only thing touching the the mouse are the pads/tips of my fingers, so I don't know if I'll like the G5's ergonomics or not... I just have a hardtime justifying $75 for a mouse... even $55 for that matter.
Old 10-18-05, 02:25 PM   #40
angshuman
Pink GBA

He's right - kind of. I kind of understood what he was trying to say, but I didn't believe my MX1000 exhibited this characteristic. So, I tried out his experiment.

I usually have acceleration ("enhanced pointer precision") enabled from the Windows Control Panel -- I refuse to use bloated unnecessary Logitech software -- and I love the response of my mouse. This software-enabled +ve acceleration feels very natural and does indeed somewhat assist precision.

I disabled this feature and tried out his experiment. Indeed, the mouse pointer was moving NOTICEABLY longer distances when I was moving the mouse slower!!! However, if you sit down and think about it, it seems perfectly natural. If you're moving your mouse fast, your movement is usually a lot more erratic than it is if you're moving it carefully. As such, I am sure any less-than-perfect tracking mechanism would "miss" a few frames, which results in your pointer traveling a shorter distance.

But this contradicts Arch2's claims that laser mice exhibit this characteristic more. If the -ve acceleration was happening due to the sensor skipping frames during fast movement, laser mice should suffer LESS from this effect due to their superior sensors. Standard optical (and probably mechanical) mice should exhibit this more.

At any rate, it clearly DOES happen with my MX1000. Maybe my desk surface is not good enough, maybe my hand movement is horrible, I don't know. At any rate, I'm switching s/w acceleration back on.
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:29 PM   #41
Rakeesh

Quote:
found this review on new egg about your G5.. its not the only bad review

After purchasing this mouse and finding out that it does not play nicely with either my desk top, my XTrack Pro HS mouse pad, nor my Black Icemat, I called Logitech. According to their customer support person named Jerry, this mouse WILL NOT work with any mousemat that is glass, WILL work poorly with any black mousemat, WILL work poorly with any mousemat that is remotely reflective, and it ONLY WILL WORK PERFECTLY on a sheet of white paper taped to your desk. Congrats Logitech, you really have outdone yourselves on this one. But it tracks great on a sheet of paper.....
Wait...I thought the whole point of a laser mouse vs an LED mouse was that it can track on just about any surface, including a mirror? Or at least that is what people claimed about the mx1000.

Bleh. I am just going to stick to my mx500. It has a forward button, and it isn't wireless so I can increase the polling rate beyond 125Hz.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:34 PM   #42
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatFresh
Love my G7 wireless laser mouse. Very precise mouse. Best I ever used actually.
where'd you find the G7? Have been looking all over to try one out.

acrh2, go take a breather, its not that big a deal. Your copy of Q4 come in yet?
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:39 PM   #43
EatFresh

don't know about the G5, but I just replaced my func 1030 with a much better Func F-series F10.s and it's a dark color, but I haven't experienced any tracking issues as described in that newegg review..
EatFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:53 PM   #44
acrh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angshuman
He's right - kind of. I kind of understood what he was trying to say, but I didn't believe my MX1000 exhibited this characteristic. So, I tried out his experiment.

I usually have acceleration ("enhanced pointer precision") enabled from the Windows Control Panel -- I refuse to use bloated unnecessary Logitech software -- and I love the response of my mouse. This software-enabled +ve acceleration feels very natural and does indeed somewhat assist precision.

I disabled this feature and tried out his experiment. Indeed, the mouse pointer was moving NOTICEABLY longer distances when I was moving the mouse slower!!! However, if you sit down and think about it, it seems perfectly natural. If you're moving your mouse fast, your movement is usually a lot more erratic than it is if you're moving it carefully. As such, I am sure any less-than-perfect tracking mechanism would "miss" a few frames, which results in your pointer traveling a shorter distance.

But this contradicts Arch2's claims that laser mice exhibit this characteristic more. If the -ve acceleration was happening due to the sensor skipping frames during fast movement, laser mice should suffer LESS from this effect due to their superior sensors. Standard optical (and probably mechanical) mice should exhibit this more.

At any rate, it clearly DOES happen with my MX1000. Maybe my desk surface is not good enough, maybe my hand movement is horrible, I don't know. At any rate, I'm switching s/w acceleration back on.
Let me state my credentials first.
I guess I should have done this first. But my original post, at some very early morning, was just to warn others quickly not to make a hasty decision to buy without knowing the whole truth.
I wasn't expecting so much flak so right away from angry G5 owners, and I got pissed. For that, I appologize.

Credentials:
1) I know A LOT about mice. I used to play quake1/2/3 with those who played games for a living. These people, like Zero4, Fatal1ty and others, (yes, I have played with them on lan and know them personally, in fact, I was one of 3 Fatal1ty's training partners right before Razer CPL, when he won his first big event) know more about mice than some second rate PR person from a company like Logitech.
I picked up a lot of things along the way from these guys.

2) I've owned every single Logitech optical mouse, except for mx310 and a couple of laptop ones. I've owned saveral Razer mice. I've owned a number of microsoft mice. I'd say I've probably owned close to 15 different make/models
of mice all together. This was all for the purpose of finding the best mouse for competitive gaming.

3) I'm a PhD scientist in my 30s (with a short fuse at times). As a scientist, I am trained not to make rash statements w/o first having proof.

I bought this mouse and played with it for about 4 hours. When I say played, I mean screwed around with the drivers trying to make it work right, then reading forums, and just anything I could find on this problem on google. Pro gaming sites were a big help, as the general cosumer usually is not that senstive to mouse issues.
After about 3 hours of installs, uninstalls, patches, registry hacks, system restores and so on, I gave up.
I found a number of posts, mostly from pro gaming scene, on the issue, and my conclusion after all this reseach was that the concensus on the issue is that it's a hardware bug.
Which is why I made the post.

Now, that I have explained myself, I'm going to excuse myself here and go play quake4.

Cheers.

P.S. I didn't have "negative acceleration" issues with mx1000. However, mx1000 had a much worse problem - it would skip just like the first generaion optical technology did. I tried two different ones and they did it without a hitch. Skip like a bitch.
2 x WD 74GB Raptor Raid0, 160GB storage, Plextor PX-716UF, 24x CDRW, 12x DVDROM
U2-UFO case, 7 x 120mm case fans, 2 x Coolermaster Aerogate 3 fan controllers
PCP&C 510W Deluxe, Antec Truepower 430W
Logitech mx518 mouse, Saitek Eclipse keyboard
acrh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-05, 02:54 PM   #45
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

long live my mx310
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:07 PM   #46
acrh2

2 x WD 74GB Raptor Raid0, 160GB storage, Plextor PX-716UF, 24x CDRW, 12x DVDROM
U2-UFO case, 7 x 120mm case fans, 2 x Coolermaster Aerogate 3 fan controllers
PCP&C 510W Deluxe, Antec Truepower 430W
Logitech mx518 mouse, Saitek Eclipse keyboard
acrh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:08 PM   #47
Riptide

acrh2 which Logitech mouse is your favorite?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 05:16 PM   #48
rohit
Awaiting WGF 2.0

Who here ownz a G7 mouse??. i was buyin it, this week. and after goin thru this thread, i am in 2 minds.

Plz clarify, the effect on games, mainly CS, Source, HL2 if possible.
Also if you had a mx700 earlier, how is the G7 compared to it? Weight wise, gameplay wise, smoothness wise..
plz plz plz reply to this.
|Sound: RealTek Integrated. |
|P.S.U : PowerSafe 450w |
|MISC.: Logitech Cordless DUO(MX700 + Wireless Keyboard)||Lite-On DVD CD-RW Combo 52x16x52
|3dMark'05: 4893 [@ 350/1000]
rohit is offline   Reply With Quote