Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-05, 12:25 AM   #13
Darkoz
lurking

Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Looks like the patch is for multiplayer bug fixes only, nothing for single player.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 12:38 AM   #14
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere
Would you rather buy the game and wait on a patch to fix your troubles? Myself, I like the fact that they fixed the problems before I pick up my copy. Now I can play the game without the bugs the second I start it up.
I'd rather not have to patch the second I install the game period. As I already stated: this is not the norm for any game, besides an MMO.

If these were very specific things like, users with a 9600XT and 512MB RAM on a P4 2.8GHz w/HT enabled...or something, then it would be different. These things should've been caught well before release. It makes them look bad, I think.

You aren't going to change my mind on this. I would be saying this about any game that had a patch out before release. It just makes it look like the rushed it to the door and the game wasn't complete. I don't appreciate that. I don't turn in papers and tests at school only 70% complete and then the next week issue an addedum with the remaining work. It's not acceptable. So why do we allow this to happen?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 12:55 AM   #15
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I'd rather not have to patch the second I install the game period. As I already stated: this is not the norm for any game, besides an MMO.

If these were very specific things like, users with a 9600XT and 512MB RAM on a P4 2.8GHz w/HT enabled...or something, then it would be different. These things should've been caught well before release. It makes them look bad, I think.

You aren't going to change my mind on this. I would be saying this about any game that had a patch out before release. It just makes it look like the rushed it to the door and the game wasn't complete. I don't appreciate that. I don't turn in papers and tests at school only 70% complete and then the next week issue an addedum with the remaining work. It's not acceptable. So why do we allow this to happen?
We allow this to happen because every game has patches for it. This one got them out the door before the game is "officially" released. Now we wont have to wait on fixes that would otherwise take a week or more to get to us. FEAR would have gotten patches just like EVERY OTHER GAME. In this case, they had thier s**t together to fix a problem before it was supposed to hit shelves.

You want to give examples? Sure. I'd rather fix my cars brakes before they give out on the road. Not after they die on me and I'm left in a ditch.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:03 AM   #16
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere
We allow this to happen because every game has patches for it. This one got them out the door before the game is "officially" released. Now we wont have to wait on fixes that would otherwise take a week or more to get to us. FEAR would have gotten patches just like EVERY OTHER GAME. In this case, they had thier s**t together to fix a problem before it was supposed to hit shelves.

You want to give examples? Sure. I'd rather fix my cars brakes before they give out on the road. Not after they die on me and I'm left in a ditch.
So, with the car brake analogy, what you're saying is that you expect games to deteriorate over time and require patches in order to keep running an at acceptable level? Sorry, that doesn't really work. It's not as though you bought the brakes but found out they were only 80% complete and you'd have to take them in order to be completed because the manufacturer wanted to rush them to the shelves to start making money before completing their product.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:15 AM   #17
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
So, with the car brake analogy, what you're saying is that you expect games to deteriorate over time and require patches in order to keep running an at acceptable level? Sorry, that doesn't really work. It's not as though you bought the brakes but found out they were only 80% complete and you'd have to take them in order to be completed because the manufacturer wanted to rush them to the shelves to start making money before completing their product.

I think you're smart enough to understand what I was trying to say. The point is, Regardless of when, FEAR would have gotten patches. It's better they got to it sooner than later. I think you can agree with that.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:13 AM   #18
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

It's a shame there are no fixes mentioned that address issues relating to certain kinds of freezing / locking up / stuttering. Seems too much of a coincidence, too many people with similar issues on their forums. My hinkling , it's the fact a majority of them are only using 1GB Ram, which is why I won't even install the copy I got sat here until I get the cash to upgrade.

Patching a game before release does look bad, sure, but I would prefer that over more annoying bugs.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:35 AM   #19
|MaguS|

Maybe the crashing and freezing isn't on their side and its an nvidia issue? Plenty of reviews have claimed it as one of the most stable PC Games in a long time...
Old 10-18-05, 05:28 AM   #20
Grechie