Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-05, 12:25 AM   #13
Darkoz
lurking
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 677
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Looks like the patch is for multiplayer bug fixes only, nothing for single player.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 12:38 AM   #14
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere
Would you rather buy the game and wait on a patch to fix your troubles? Myself, I like the fact that they fixed the problems before I pick up my copy. Now I can play the game without the bugs the second I start it up.
I'd rather not have to patch the second I install the game period. As I already stated: this is not the norm for any game, besides an MMO.

If these were very specific things like, users with a 9600XT and 512MB RAM on a P4 2.8GHz w/HT enabled...or something, then it would be different. These things should've been caught well before release. It makes them look bad, I think.

You aren't going to change my mind on this. I would be saying this about any game that had a patch out before release. It just makes it look like the rushed it to the door and the game wasn't complete. I don't appreciate that. I don't turn in papers and tests at school only 70% complete and then the next week issue an addedum with the remaining work. It's not acceptable. So why do we allow this to happen?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 12:55 AM   #15
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo
 
marqmajere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,064
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I'd rather not have to patch the second I install the game period. As I already stated: this is not the norm for any game, besides an MMO.

If these were very specific things like, users with a 9600XT and 512MB RAM on a P4 2.8GHz w/HT enabled...or something, then it would be different. These things should've been caught well before release. It makes them look bad, I think.

You aren't going to change my mind on this. I would be saying this about any game that had a patch out before release. It just makes it look like the rushed it to the door and the game wasn't complete. I don't appreciate that. I don't turn in papers and tests at school only 70% complete and then the next week issue an addedum with the remaining work. It's not acceptable. So why do we allow this to happen?
We allow this to happen because every game has patches for it. This one got them out the door before the game is "officially" released. Now we wont have to wait on fixes that would otherwise take a week or more to get to us. FEAR would have gotten patches just like EVERY OTHER GAME. In this case, they had thier s**t together to fix a problem before it was supposed to hit shelves.

You want to give examples? Sure. I'd rather fix my cars brakes before they give out on the road. Not after they die on me and I'm left in a ditch.
__________________
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit


Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:03 AM   #16
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere
We allow this to happen because every game has patches for it. This one got them out the door before the game is "officially" released. Now we wont have to wait on fixes that would otherwise take a week or more to get to us. FEAR would have gotten patches just like EVERY OTHER GAME. In this case, they had thier s**t together to fix a problem before it was supposed to hit shelves.

You want to give examples? Sure. I'd rather fix my cars brakes before they give out on the road. Not after they die on me and I'm left in a ditch.
So, with the car brake analogy, what you're saying is that you expect games to deteriorate over time and require patches in order to keep running an at acceptable level? Sorry, that doesn't really work. It's not as though you bought the brakes but found out they were only 80% complete and you'd have to take them in order to be completed because the manufacturer wanted to rush them to the shelves to start making money before completing their product.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:15 AM   #17
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo
 
marqmajere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,064
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
So, with the car brake analogy, what you're saying is that you expect games to deteriorate over time and require patches in order to keep running an at acceptable level? Sorry, that doesn't really work. It's not as though you bought the brakes but found out they were only 80% complete and you'd have to take them in order to be completed because the manufacturer wanted to rush them to the shelves to start making money before completing their product.

I think you're smart enough to understand what I was trying to say. The point is, Regardless of when, FEAR would have gotten patches. It's better they got to it sooner than later. I think you can agree with that.
__________________
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit


Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:13 AM   #18
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist
 
Peoples-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,308
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

It's a shame there are no fixes mentioned that address issues relating to certain kinds of freezing / locking up / stuttering. Seems too much of a coincidence, too many people with similar issues on their forums. My hinkling , it's the fact a majority of them are only using 1GB Ram, which is why I won't even install the copy I got sat here until I get the cash to upgrade.

Patching a game before release does look bad, sure, but I would prefer that over more annoying bugs.
__________________
For The Fallen
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:35 AM   #19
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Maybe the crashing and freezing isn't on their side and its an nvidia issue? Plenty of reviews have claimed it as one of the most stable PC Games in a long time...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 05:28 AM   #20
Grechie
Powered By nVidia
 
Grechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 554
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

damn, im with a aussie ISP called optusnet cable, and i just got capped (12GB Limit a month) right wen i was about to get the patch, F$%#!
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 || XFX nForce 790i Ultra || Corsair XMS3 PC10666 DDR3 2 X 2GB || 2 x GTX 295 Quad SLI || Antec 900 || Thermaltake Tough Power 1200Watt
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-05, 07:13 AM   #21
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

at least they came out with a patch... look at BF 2 ... I think they just "say" they patch the game to make your insides feel good
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 11:52 AM   #22
myshkinbob
Registered User
 
myshkinbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 402
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

patch is out - ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/sierra/fear...en_100_101.exe

http://www.gamershell.com/download_11187.shtml
__________________
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:02 PM   #23
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH
 
SH64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,202
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

bah .. looks like no one noticed that the link i posted actually points to the download links already .. oh well
__________________


- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 04:13 PM   #24
OWA
...
 
OWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,481
Default Re: FEAR patch 1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
bah .. looks like no one noticed that the link i posted actually points to the download links already .. oh well
I couldn't find it at the initial link. The only link I saw mentioned something about the demo. I think it may have been the patch though since the size was like 21Meg and I think that was the size of the patch.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Max Payne 3 patch makes Max skinnier News Archived News Items 0 06-07-12 06:50 AM
AMD kernel patch question redmoose NVIDIA Linux 2 09-07-02 07:16 PM
Soldier of Fortune 2 patch -=DVS=- Gaming Central 7 07-30-02 02:31 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.