Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-05, 01:00 PM   #133
OWA

Default Re: *** Official Quake 4 Feedback Thread ***

This is what zoomy posted a little earlier:

Quote:
i just go into the config file and add this line in the section that looks similar....

seta r_useDepthBoundsTest "1"

after you load the game, this may disappear from the cfg file, but go into the game and pull down the console by pressing crt+alt+~... and type in whats above, it should say the default is 1
Edit: Oops, you beat me to it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 01:11 PM   #134
Lazaredz
Giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
How long did it take you to finish it? Also, if you don't mind and if you played Doom 3 to completion, how long is Quake 4 compared to Doom 3? I'm trying to get a feel for how long it'll take me to finish it.
I'd guess between 10-15 hours of actual play time. Doom 3 felt a little longer, but then again, I moved slower through it. If I had gone through at the same pace, I'm sure they would have been about equal.

Its run&gun vs sneak&peak so its kinda hard to compair.
Lazaredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 01:23 PM   #135
emailthatguy

what difficulty you play it on?

dispite saying i wasnt going to pickup this or fear.... well yesterday i just happen to run into both collectors editions and said wtf lol.

waiting for my 2nd 7800 to get delivered tuesday before i play either of these bad boys.
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 04:15 PM   #136
Brimstone7

Quake 4 is a much shorter game than Doom 3 by any standards. However, I think even the biggest Doom 3 fans (such as myself) can agree that those levels just dragged on and on. I mean, do we really need 4 Alpha labs? 6 Delta Labs?! I would say Quake4 has about 2/3 of the levels of Doom 3 but the variety factor is just so much higher it feels like Quake 4 has more locations.

I think we can divide Quake 4 up into 3 distinct sections. I don't want to ruin what seperates the sections but it should become very obvious as you play. The first two sections are great, with the second section the best of the three. The final section of the game definately has a slightly different feel than the rest of the game: there are fewer squadmates that work with you, and less variety in the mission objectives. I would say that the third section plays more like Quake 2 than the other parts of the game. It's not bad by any means but it does feel like it's dragging its feet.
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 05:49 PM   #137
DJMONDY

Ive only today been able to play qauke 4 and all i can say is WOW. its a fantastic game. so far its been non stop action and ive only played for about an hour or so.

It looks absolutly stunning and when i first turned it on i was like OMG

Today, im a very happy gamer
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 06:20 PM   #138
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

I'm going to post a reasonably lengthy review of the game from a QII player's perspective once I've finished it (I got it yesterday, and I'm quite busy at the moment), but as a kind of "damn I'm already half-way through" first-look from my perspective, I think this game is GREAT. I'm really really digging it. It feels like quake - none of this stuffing about garbage - Matthew Kane is a war machine (as he damn well should be). Sort of. I'll explain that later.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 06:24 PM   #139
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone7
Quake 4 is a much shorter game than Doom 3 by any standards. However, I think even the biggest Doom 3 fans (such as myself) can agree that those levels just dragged on and on. I mean, do we really need 4 Alpha labs? 6 Delta Labs?! I would say Quake4 has about 2/3 of the levels of Doom 3 but the variety factor is just so much higher it feels like Quake 4 has more locations.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was getting at. Doom 3 is my favorite game but I'm fairly slow compared to most gamers and it took me *forever* to finish Doom 3. So, I was kind of hoping Quake 4 would be a little shorter.
Old 10-22-05, 03:45 AM   #140
OWA

I just can't believe how life-like the characters are in Quake 4. They did such a great job with the details, making the characters move in a realistic way. They're not stiff like in most games. The way they sway, move around while working, have their arms crossed, etc. is amazing. Just wandering around the ship (the ship is impressive), the briefing, watching guys slide around in their chairs as they're working at computers stations, even stretching as they try to grab something out of their reach, is just incredible. They did a great job selling it, making you feel like you're participating in a movie. I thought Doom 3 did a pretty good job of that but Quake 4 has so much more detail. Wow.

Old 10-22-05, 03:50 AM   #141
EvilEye
Got my eyes on you!

I think it's great!! Raven has done an exellent job with the doom3 engine, and the textures are alot sharper then in doom3

Added a pick to show some of it's good looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot00011.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	13994  
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2,85 GHz | ASUS P5B Deluxe | OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | ASUS 8800GTX | Antec P180B| SeaSonic 500W |ViewSonic VP191b 19" 8ms | Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Gamer Pro | Hitachi T7K 160GB SATA2 + 7k 160GB Sata | Plextor PX-716A | Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550 | Logitech MX1000 | Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit |

My other gaming rig:
Pioneer PDP-436 FDE Plasma | XBOX 360 Premium

"I'm concerned because there's nothing wrong."
EvilEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 05:25 AM   #142
angshuman
Pink GBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEye
I think it's great!! Raven has done an exellent job with the doom3 engine, and the textures are alot sharper then in doom3

Added a pick to show some of it's good looks.
Nice shot. But didn't you feel that there was a bit *too* much detail in that screenshot? It took me a while to get a correct idea of the depth in that scene... I figured that out only when I noticed the two tiny characters in the background. Obviously, if you're playing you have a much better idea , but a Depth of Field effect would be so nice...
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 05:50 AM   #143
ralinn
Masters

I love the parts when you're waling through dark rooms and all you see is your fellow squad shining their tourches everywhere. I ended up turning mine off so I could see what they were all looking at better.

I remember going up to a wall and one of my squad members behind me aimed his tourch at the wall infront of me, lighting up a corpse on the wall. I **** my pants!!! Was like something out of aliens!!!

Now I've completed it, I can really recommend it to ANYONE!

How cool was the crashing pod part

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 06:06 AM   #144
firestartar

I dont normally post, but this time i just had to...

Quake 4 Rocks! Excellent use of the doom3 engine. Always wanted doom3 to be like this.. + multiplayer rocks even harder! Well done Raven and Id...

Cheers
firestartar is offline   Reply With Quote