Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-05, 01:49 PM   #157
Scunner
Veni, Vidi, Calcitro Anus

Default Re: *** Official Quake 4 Feedback Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle
During the "horror" sequence (no spoiler warning needed) since it appears that you are conscious and aware of your surroundings, I would have liked to have had the ability to "scream" as I heard others do so.

During that sequence it would have been simple to replace the "fire" action with a "scream" action.

You understand my meaning? Scream because you could.

Gentle
He was quite sedate about the whole thing, wasn't he? Screaming with sheer terror and pain would certainly have added to the effect, but I'm sure some people on the boards will argue that Kane is such a hard-ass, he took it all in his stride.

Or something like that.

I wonder how many kids are playing this, with parents who either don't know, or don't care what their little darlings are getting into. I think that's more disturbing than the game's visuals, to be honest.
Scunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 02:20 PM   #158
Lazaredz
Giggitty

Would have been nice to have been able to destroy the torsos/other bodies being used in the building for added horror effect. Something like, we need to shut down the power to X and torsos in building Y are powering them, go take them out. The implications of having not only to destroy those things but that fact that they are most likely the living remains of your fellow soldiers and you need to further desicrate them by turning them to gibs ..... wow, that would have been something. Or maybe some of the ones that still had heads/eyes would "rat you out" by screaming "OVER HERE!!" or something when you walked into the room.

Then again, I guess that is what mods are for!
Lazaredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 10:43 PM   #159
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

What are you guys with 6800GT's running it at? I installed it on the girlys machine today, and to my suprise it runs terrible. Suttering and such.

I'm just trying to figure out why. I tried all the way down to 1024x768 with medium quality 0xAA and it still stutters pretty bad.
Old 10-23-05, 10:58 PM   #160
pliflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
What are you guys with 6800GT's running it at? I installed it on the girlys machine today, and to my suprise it runs terrible. Suttering and such.

I'm just trying to figure out why. I tried all the way down to 1024x768 with medium quality 0xAA and it still stutters pretty bad.
my just fine.running at UH 1024 4AA16AF now

the suttering in this game is mainly caused by the lack of 512 vram.2G ram would help though.if you only have 1G ram and wanna play at UH,try enable usecache and it would run okay
pliflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 07:40 AM   #161
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp

smooth as silk @ 1280x1024 2xAA HQ settings + OpenAL sound.

not stuttering at all, it runs as well if not better than D3.

something's up with your girl's machine dude.
Old 10-24-05, 11:34 AM   #162
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

1600x1200 2xAA HQ on my 68GT. I get the occasional slow down here and there but I'd consider it fully playable.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 02:02 PM   #163
|MaguS|

I picked the game up and installed it but have yet to really sit down and play it. I did just load it up to check out the intro part but Im having a big issue with the game. No matter what settings I set the game to the textures look like crap. Im talking no bump maps or sharpness, only thing that sticks is resolution.

I did get the graphics to improve some by disabling compressed textures in the cfg manually but would rather have the actual options menu working.

I still dislike the idea that I have to reload weapons, never had to in any quake game...
Old 10-24-05, 02:17 PM   #164
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
smooth as silk @ 1280x1024 2xAA HQ settings + OpenAL sound.

not stuttering at all, it runs as well if not better than D3.

something's up with your girl's machine dude.
yea somethings not right.. i'm gonna have to check it out again

Old 10-24-05, 02:30 PM   #165
NiukNiuk
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I picked the game up and installed it but have yet to really sit down and play it. I did just load it up to check out the intro part but Im having a big issue with the game. No matter what settings I set the game to the textures look like crap. Im talking no bump maps or sharpness, only thing that sticks is resolution.

I did get the graphics to improve some by disabling compressed textures in the cfg manually but would rather have the actual options menu working.

I still dislike the idea that I have to reload weapons, never had to in any quake game...
Erase you autoexec.cfg and quake4config.cfg files
Start the game
Change the settings as usual
in "system" option menu, select "autodetect parameters" or something like that (I don't know the english name of this option), then quit the game and restart it.
This should have fixed your texture problem...I hope.
Ram: G.Skill Kit Extreme2 2 x 2 Go PC6400 PK
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512 Mo
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2 sound card
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite B2403WS -B1
NiukNiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 04:12 PM   #166
MikeC
Administrator

Holy cow batman - Quake 4 is awesome!

I spent quality time this weekend playing the single player mode using OpenAL (http://developer.creative.com/articl...&top=38&aid=46) on a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

I've turned into a sound ***** as I spent 20 minutes fine-tuning the rear, center, and subwoofer channels on a Klipsch 5.1 speaker system. But it's time to get down to business as I plan to spend this evening recording a demo that we can use for benchmarking.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 06:17 PM   #167
OWA

Will you make the demo available for download? I think people have been looking for something to use for comparisons.

Anyway, wish I could use my Klipsch speakers but these days I'm mostly limited to headphones.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 06:31 PM   #168
Superfly
Retired

bring on your timedemo MikeC, we need an official nvNews benchy!!!

Q4 = the nuts!!