Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-05, 02:47 PM   #49
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Re: *** Official Quake 4 Feedback Thread ***

Hm, anyone know how i can get an 85hz refresh rate. i cant see my full screen on any ref but 85hz.

Ack nm just found

http://www.nvnews.net/tweaks/doom3/index.shtml

lol nice guide :d
Old 10-18-05, 03:19 PM   #50
evilghost

Have Q4 CD-Version in my hand. Do not see a Linux installer/client on the first CD. Guess I'll have to wait another week. Oh well, much better than having to deal with MS bloatware.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:45 PM   #51
Brimstone7

Just picked up the game and my initial impressions are that it's great. I'm one of the few people that actually LIKED Doom 3 (and played through it 3 or so times) but this game just blows Doom right out of the water.

First up, the feel of the weapons is great. I always hated Doom 3's machine gun because it just felt weak. The machinegun here sounds great and appears to do a whole lot of damage. Yes, there is reloading but it's done very quickly. You can also get upgrades to increase clip size. There is no reloading in multiplayer thankfully.

The squadmates definately add to the entire experience. It's not just Doom 3 with a few guys following you around like that spider robot. Squadmates come and go all the time, give you health and armor (sometimes weapons), and they're accurate enough that they actually help out.

I'm only a few missions into the game but so far the single player campaign is more than I hoped for. Unlike Doom 3, which gives you arbitrary objectives just to keep you busy, the objectives here are more meaningful. I suppose that they are just "get from point A to point B" or "find red keycard" in some sense but they actually fit in with the story. For example, in order to get past one door, instead of finding a keycard, you load up a huge laser and melt it down.

I don't have much experience with the multiplayer yet but the game physics do appear to be different than the single player and tuned towards creating a Quake 3 type experience. Player movement is faster, you can jump higher and farther, no reloading, etc. Runs blazingly fast as well.

All in all there is no way this game deserved a 70% rating. Normally I wouldn't care about the ratings but PCGamer carries a lot of weight and their review will undoubtedly turn off a lot of potential gamers. Quake 4 is fast, fluid, has a very passable storyline, and most importantly is just plain fun. I only wish they released a demo so the non-believers can see that it's not just Doom 3.5.
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:50 PM   #52
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Installing right now, but from the reviews on the net, the only reason this game gets around the 8.0 mark is because all the reviewers complained that the multiplayer is like Quake 3. Like gamespot for instance.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 03:52 PM   #53
Superfly
Retired

glad to see the masses are liking this, I love Raven's games and style, cant wait to play!!
Old 10-18-05, 03:54 PM   #54
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone7
Just picked up the game and my initial impressions are that it's great. I'm one of the few people that actually LIKED Doom 3 (and played through it 3 or so times) but this game just blows Doom right out of the water.

First up, the feel of the weapons is great. I always hated Doom 3's machine gun because it just felt weak. The machinegun here sounds great and appears to do a whole lot of damage. Yes, there is reloading but it's done very quickly. You can also get upgrades to increase clip size. There is no reloading in multiplayer thankfully.

The squadmates definately add to the entire experience. It's not just Doom 3 with a few guys following you around like that spider robot. Squadmates come and go all the time, give you health and armor (sometimes weapons), and they're accurate enough that they actually help out.

I'm only a few missions into the game but so far the single player campaign is more than I hoped for. Unlike Doom 3, which gives you arbitrary objectives just to keep you busy, the objectives here are more meaningful. I suppose that they are just "get from point A to point B" or "find red keycard" in some sense but they actually fit in with the story. For example, in order to get past one door, instead of finding a keycard, you load up a huge laser and melt it down.

I don't have much experience with the multiplayer yet but the game physics do appear to be different than the single player and tuned towards creating a Quake 3 type experience. Player movement is faster, you can jump higher and farther, no reloading, etc. Runs blazingly fast as well.

All in all there is no way this game deserved a 70% rating. Normally I wouldn't care about the ratings but PCGamer carries a lot of weight and their review will undoubtedly turn off a lot of potential gamers. Quake 4 is fast, fluid, has a very passable storyline, and most importantly is just plain fun. I only wish they released a demo so the non-believers can see that it's not just Doom 3.5.
One of the best user reviews yet, nice
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 04:02 PM   #55
Roch
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
why it works fine with 81.85
Many Thanks!!
Old 10-18-05, 04:06 PM   #56
OWA

Yeah, nice review. Thanks.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-05, 04:10 PM   #57
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Just played though a bit of the single player and its good, have to say much better than fear. Lots of action, good animations and weapon balance. The gameplay is very smooth and textures blend properly. Great game, must have.
Old 10-18-05, 05:16 PM   #58
HowlingPhoenix

I just played through the first two levels of single player and a little online, and this game is definetly awesome. So far I give it a 9.5/10. The only problem I have had with the game is after a while the screen goes blank on me and I have to restart my PC to get things back to normal. It may have something to do with my overclock or overheating. I'm gonna mess around with the settings to see if I cant make it stop doing that..Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Looks like my overclock was my problem, I lowered it a little and now it seems to work fine.
HowlingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 05:38 PM   #59
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

I think this game is better then FEAR so far. It actually makes you get interested in the game, while FEAR seems like a forced game. Couldn't grab my attention. Though I have to say MP is awesome!
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 06:20 PM   #60
Ghosthunter

well got it installed and up and running. So far running 1600x1200 high quality but no AA and AF, and seems to be running smooth and looks awesome

Multiplay is fun as anything...i was a big time q3 player..so i feel right at home.

Btw running on drivers 77.72 probably should upgrade, just everything is stable so havent done it yet.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote