Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-19-05, 07:26 AM   #85
emailthatguy

Default Re: *** Official Quake 4 Feedback Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
I certainly understand that someoone that does not like Q3A would not like Quake4. However, you are teh wr0ng!!!!111!!1one

Heh. You probably like leaning and hiding behind stuff and driving vehicles over fast gameplay, right? No flame intended, just asking...

no im just disappointed that theres no innovation at all in the gameplay department when it comes to multiplayer and ai in single player. too many reviews ive read all agree they seriously lack in those 2 departments.

dumb ai w/ pretty graphics? been there done that

q3a style multiplayer? well.... been there done that too.

i just expected a little something to push the genre forward ya know? ut2k4 stepped it up HUGE w/ onslaught and assault. bf2's gameplay is dynamic, diverse, and loads of fun. fear's ai i hear is second to none.

so looking at whats out there, i just dont see any reason to want to buy this game. it just sounds like id be doing things ive done before in games 6 years ago, just w/ better graphics now and a worse soundtrack.

not hating on it, in fact, im actually really bummed about the reviews, i so wanted to be excited about this game.....
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 07:52 AM   #86
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

TBH the idea of a simple fun game is quite a good and noble one. How much can multiplayer be innovated these days without it being a gimmick? The word immersive seems to have overtaken fun, but I don't see why the two can't co-exist or even exist independantly of each other
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 08:33 AM   #87
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I'd be all about multiplayer being exactly like Q3. I hate team-based games (therefore Battlefield, CS and their ilk are out). I was going to get F.E.A.R., but upon reading more about this game, I may just change my mind. I'm so on the fence.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 08:38 AM   #88
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailthatguy
no im just disappointed that theres no innovation at all in the gameplay department when it comes to multiplayer and ai in single player. too many reviews ive read all agree they seriously lack in those 2 departments.
Who cares? If the game is fun what difference does it make how "innovative" it is (and there hasn't been a truly innovative shooter since probably System Shock 2).
Quote:
dumb ai w/ pretty graphics? been there done that
What games have come out recently that actually have good A.I.? I don't know what you were expecting.
Quote:
q3a style multiplayer? well.... been there done that too.
Ummm....this was the STATED PURPOSE of the game developers. Maybe you missed it.
Quote:
i just expected a little something to push the genre forward ya know? ut2k4 stepped it up HUGE w/ onslaught and assault. bf2's gameplay is dynamic, diverse, and loads of fun. fear's ai i hear is second to none.
LOL on all three accounts. Onslaught and assault were ripoffs of other games' good ideas and had been done before, BF2 is the same game as BF1942 with better graphics and commanders, and FEAR's AI is *ok* but certainly not as good as everyone says. In fact I find the game to be extremely scripted (still awesome though).
Quote:
so looking at whats out there, i just dont see any reason to want to buy this game. it just sounds like id be doing things ive done before in games 6 years ago, just w/ better graphics now and a worse soundtrack.
LOL maybe you should play it and see for yourself.
Quote:
not hating on it, in fact, im actually really bummed about the reviews, i so wanted to be excited about this game.....
The reviews are mostly full of crap, and there's plenty of enjoyment to be found here. This game met and exceeded my expectations, and is a breath of fresh air in this stagnating genre. It works right straight out of the box, it's fun, the multiplayer is a blast, blah blah blah...but I'm wasting my breath. Sounds like you made your mind up already.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 09:22 AM   #89
TB303

Well,
I have played both FEAR and Q4, and quale owns without any doubt.

Q4 is superior in just about any area I can think of, so I will note the only area where FEAR is actually a bit better and that is indeed with AI.

However,
with regards to anything from graphics (and polish), to sounds, gameplay (!), fun and story Q4 owns.

In fact, IMO, by comparing those two games we can see exactly the difference between thse who are out to demo a tech engine (FEAR), and those who want to have good fun with a shotgun!

PS
I didn't like D3.

Just my 2p,
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 09:57 AM   #90
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Whats is the gore like in this game?
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 10:17 AM   #91
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaahu_Akbar
Whats is the gore like in this game?
There is indeed gibs for multiplayer if no one has mentioend before! bump mapped gibs mmmm!
Old 10-19-05, 11:47 AM   #92
ynnek

Quake 4 SP does really play kind alike Q2 SP, for better or for worse. Enemies look nice, but I'm too busy fragging them to bother to notice... heh.

i briefly tried multi player.. Couldn't find a low ping server.. found a few, but for osme reason, i would lag out occasionally.. DM Feels exactly like Q3A, at least at first glance and play, which I hated.. Ehh, if I want fast funny dm, I'll play UT2004, which I like better... can't play without the double jump/strafe anymore in quick DM games..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-05, 11:53 AM   #93
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I'm actually not liking the MP very much... even though I was a huge quake3 fan. Something doesn't feel right about it...

The SP is great though.

I dunno why people are saying it has better graphics than FEAR though, it doesn't even compare. The water in fear is the best I have ever seen. The outdoor environments in quake4 look a little bland too.
Old 10-19-05, 12:58 PM   #94
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

The water in FEAR does look awesome but any of the other environments in Quake 4 look vastly superior to FEAR, from my point of view. After playing Quake 4 for a while, playing FEAR made me think "man, this doesn't look anywhere near as good". Then again I've only played the first level in FEAR, I'll have a better chance to judge it tonight.

As for the textures, the ones in Quake 4 are very high resolution, I haven't seen any that I thought were very blotchy like Doom 3's.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 10-19-05, 01:54 PM   #95
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Some of the textures on some of the spaceships, and a few textures here and there are really ugly, that one introduction sequence... the beginning with the spaceship is kinda meh.

But Fear has some low res textures here and there also..heh
Old 10-19-05, 01:58 PM   #96
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah that's true but really I think the texture art in both games is fantastic. There just seems to be a tremendous amount of attention to detail in the Quake 4 environments, they really feel alive. Almost over-detailed, you know? The level geometry just seems a lot more fluid and rich. In FEAR it's just very blocky and bland by comparison. It's still awesome though, I mean really, both games have exceeded my expectations so I'm enthralled with both of them.

edit: You know what? I think it's the lighting. The Doom 3 engine's lighting is incredible in Quake 4 and it really makes the environments feel alive. I remember thinking many times while playing that it looked like I was playing in an live-action movie the whole time, much more so than in Doom 3.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410