Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-05, 03:39 PM   #1
nippyjun

Default Gaming difficulty level philosophy....

I've started playing Quake 4 and Fear. I always choose to play at a harder difficulty level then the "normal" difficulty.

I've enjoyed both games especially the visuals, but i'm wondering if i'm missing the "beauty" of the game world by playing on a harder difficulty. What i mean is, that since i have to focus more on my life i miss out on looking around at the game world. Harder difficulty means moving faster, and moving faster means leaving a scene faster and not getting to enjoy it as much.

On the other hand, i don't want to play on too easy of a difficulty that i can just walk through and not feel challenged.

I'm not really asking a question here, but i'm just wondering if others feel the same way as i do and what they prefer to do.

Thanks.
nippyjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 03:45 PM   #2
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Gaming difficulty level philosophy....

I always play on normal settings for the first time. Normal usually gives you enough of a challenge in MOST games(even though i have to admit FEAR is rather easy). I mean really who cares? Its not like someone is going to see you playing fear on normal and be like "pssst you suck hahaha". No, nobody cares even if they did find out. I like to enjoy the games i play. Perfect example of why you leave settings on normal is Farcry. I swear there are some parts in that game that took me 50 times to beat. I still haven't finished the game because i got so frustrated with one part(that and the not being able to save issue). If I would have had farcry on Hard i KNOW i would have quit a long time before i actually did. Thats a bad example because i still quit farcry... but you get the point.

Enjoy the game, its not like you are playing online.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 03:50 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Perfect example of why you leave settings on normal is Farcry. I swear there are some parts in that game that took me 50 times to beat. I still haven't finished the game because i got so frustrated with one part(that and the not being able to save issue). If I would have had farcry on Hard i KNOW i would have quit a long time before i actually did. Thats a bad example because i still quit farcry... but you get the point.

Enjoy the game, its not like you are playing online.
The AI scripting in that game is awful. It's bull how enemies perched with rocket launchers and sniper rifles can hit you with pinpoint accuracy from across the map while you're ducked under more than 50% cover.

I did trudge through the whole thing (was unemployed at the time with nothing better to do), but now that I found the cheats, it's tons more fun.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 04:02 PM   #4
ynnek

I play games on either normal or one notch above my first time.. I don't want it to be too easy..

Ever play Halo on the hardest level of difficulty? Almost turns into a whole 'nother game itself. Alot more fun, and fustrating at the same time.. especially that part where your squad gets beamed up the enemy ship, and the guys start pouring in for the 4 doors at the corners of the room, with the first apperance of the sword guys.. I dunno if it had the best AI, but it had the most effecitvely fun AI..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 05:27 PM   #5
rflair
W OOO OOO

I play all games on thier hardest difficulty level for the last couple of years, its more challenging, FEAR and Q4 being the latest, but Farcry and HL2 also.
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 06:00 PM   #6
FraGTastiK
'

I finished FEAR demo at highest difficulty with melee only.it was really fun and needed alot of saves but worth the experience.slide kick a dead guy and he would fly through the whole length of hallway painting a nice blood splash on the wall upon impact.slide kick is so damn powerful.

I like it when games at highest difficulty makes me use tactics and stealth alot instead of rambo-ing down all the enemies.

I agree with a poster above me,Halo is a completely different game at highest difficulty.

AMD X2 4400+@2750 MHz 24/7 ][ ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE 0903 ][ 2x1GB PC4000 CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 1T-1:1 ][ 2 XFX 7900GTX 512MB SLI 690/1750
PIONEERDVD-RW DVR-108 ][ MSI CD-RW CR52P AUDIGY2ZS ][ CREATIVE INSPIRE T7700
2xMAXTOR SATA160GB (RAID 0) ][ 2x MAXTOR IDE80GB ][ AOPENH700C
FraGTastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 10:36 PM   #7
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

I play most games on easy because I don't want any frustration and because I suck. Easy is usually challenging enough for most games. But since FEAR seemed a bit easy on easy I played at moderate and I still died lots but it was certainly fine difficulty. I'm a bit tired of people confusing difficulty with AI. One example is Halo, play on easy the bots jump behind objects and back behind doors, throw grenades, move away from grenades, use shields etc and all that AI stuff. Play on hard and they do the same stuff only this time they take more shots to kill and kill you much faster. I don't think this increase in difficulty should be called AI.
Old 10-20-05, 11:43 PM   #8
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Devil May Cry 3 is just too damned hard [just got the game].
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-05, 01:21 AM   #9
ynnek

Maybe, but with the diff cranked up, they seem so much more effective.. Probably because you can't immediatly waste half the guys when they pop up.. Else on the normal settings, you can usually just rambo your way thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
I play most games on easy because I don't want any frustration and because I suck. Easy is usually challenging enough for most games. But since FEAR seemed a bit easy on easy I played at moderate and I still died lots but it was certainly fine difficulty. I'm a bit tired of people confusing difficulty with AI. One example is Halo, play on easy the bots jump behind objects and back behind doors, throw grenades, move away from grenades, use shields etc and all that AI stuff. Play on hard and they do the same stuff only this time they take more shots to kill and kill you much faster. I don't think this increase in difficulty should be called AI.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 05:07 AM   #10
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Devil May Cry 3 is just too damned hard [just got the game].
Hehe yep that's a very hard game, very typical capcom these days...
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 09:34 PM   #11
sillyeagle
sillyego

Games are not the same as they used to be, back in the day. Way back it was actually a challenge to beat a game, now its a given. How many have beat Pacman?

Now a days you just walk through the game, enjoy the 10 hour show, and then its over. "I've seen that game twice now". Its more like and interactive movie than something you try to beat.

Though I agree there were some hard parts in Farcry, like the part where you blow up that control panel and head out the door where all the doods come down from the choppers. I hated that part. I had to watch him "I'm real good at staying put and waiting" like 30 times. I wanted to shoot him.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-21-05, 09:40 PM   #12
superklye

Whenever talks of game difficulty arise, this comic comes to mind immediately:

superklye is offline   Reply With Quote