Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-05, 02:21 AM   #49
ST:DS9

Default Re: Lost Coast... NEXT WEEK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
ID said it would be out "when it was done," not November 2004, then May 2005, August 2005, September 2005...etc.
Actaully they did make a date, Todd Hollingshead gave a date, it was suppose to be out around the Geforce 3 days.

Also, can you give any links to Valve saying release dates for Lost Coasts. Because I dont ever remember seeing release dates given. Then again I dont go to thier forums, or go looking for information about Valve products. Heck the only place I read anything about Valve stuff is Nvnews and Rage3d, I haven't even launched Steam in many months now. I just dont follow the development of any of their projects like I do with Egosoft, Bethesda, Pirahna Bytes, and Arcane Studios.
Old 10-23-05, 02:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
From what I have seen, they miss them by about a month or two at most. Valve misses them by years.

Well...no...CS:CZ came about a year and a half after its initial announced release date. Not only was it a year late and a few hundred dollars short, but it also delivered to its customers way less than valve promised. People were pretty damn pissed off about that. Valve ended up repeating this mistake with HL2. Its main saving grace is that it uses a mostly up to date game engine, whereas CZ didn't.
I do agree with that they need to focus thier efforts more on fewer projects.

They kept on telling people that CS:CZ was postively coming out on a certian date up until just a few days that it was suppose to be in stores? I didn't know that. Guess it took them 2 times to learn that. But as far as I can tell, they have changed thier ways since HL2 fiasco and dont give contrete release dates and not tell anybody until a few days before it was suppose to hit the store shelves. I didn't even know about CS:CZ until I saw it in my Silver package, never heard of it before then.

Did Valve really give a contrete release date for CS:CZ, kept on saying that it was a concrete date up until a few days that it was suppose to hit the shelves at the stores?

Also, through out the years I have heard about Blizzards release dates, I have always heard people saying that they miss thier dates by more then a year.
Old 10-23-05, 03:01 AM   #51
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
But as far as I can tell, they have changed thier ways since HL2 fiasco and dont give contrete release dates and not tell anybody until a few days before it was suppose to hit the store shelves.
No, they did the same thing with lost coast. You don't have to watch the steam forums or anything to see that though. I rarely watch G4TV (it's pretty lame) but one time when I did they happened to have Gabe on there plugging the crap out of lost coast and talking about how it was going to come out within the next month. This was back in either March or April.

And BTW, lost coast was actually supposed to come out at about the same time that HL2 did, only back then its official title was "the ATI level." Technically it isn't a free addon, but rather it was something that was promised to come out before anybody even bought the game.

Quote:
Did Valve really give a contrete release date for CS:CZ, kept on saying that it was a concrete date up until a few days that it was suppose to hit the shelves at the stores?
I don't know if they gave actual dates, but as early as a year and a half before it ever sold on store shelves, they made quite a lot of "within the next few weeks" "within the next month" and "next <insert season here>" promises, much like they did with loast. They also kept promising increased graphics details, better models, and a number of things along those lines, which never even showed up even after the game was released.

They did a similar thing with Team Fortress 2, only much much worse. That game will probably never be released.

Quote:
Also, through out the years I have heard about Blizzards release dates, I have always heard people saying that they miss thier dates by more then a year.
The only things I remember that happening with are lord of the clans, which was actually scrapped entirely because blizzard felt that the game wasn't going to be any good, and starcraft: ghost, which AFAICT is being put off because of the recent jump in console hardware generation that has come up.

Quote:
Actaully they did make a date, Todd Hollingshead gave a date, it was suppose to be out around the Geforce 3 days.
I never heard of that as even at that time ID was still vehemently sticking firm to their "when it's done" plan, and thus I doubt it is true. To whom did he state this?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-23-05, 03:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
No, they did the same thing with lost coast. You don't have to watch the steam forums or anything to see that though. I rarely watch G4TV (it's pretty lame) but one time when I did they happened to have Gabe on there plugging the crap out of lost coast and talking about how it was going to come out within the next month. This was back in either March or April.

And BTW, lost coast was actually supposed to come out at about the same time that HL2 did, only back then its official title was "the ATI level." Technically it isn't a free addon, but rather it was something that was promised to come out before anybody even bought the game.

I don't know if they gave actual dates, but as early as a year and a half before it ever sold on store shelves, they made quite a lot of "within the next few weeks" "within the next month" and "next <insert season here>" promises, much like they did with loast. They also kept promising increased graphics details, better models, and a number of things along those lines, which never even showed up even after the game was released.

They did a similar thing with Team Fortress 2, only much much worse. That game will probably never be released.

The only things I remember that happening with are lord of the clans, which was actually scrapped entirely because blizzard felt that the game wasn't going to be any good, and starcraft: ghost, which AFAICT is being put off because of the recent jump in console hardware generation that has come up.

I never heard of that as even at that time ID was still vehemently sticking firm to their "when it's done" plan, and thus I doubt it is true. To whom did he state this?

It was in an interview, cant remeber with who though.
Old 10-23-05, 05:03 AM   #53
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle
I've read all this and all I have to say is you guys need to get out more.

Plain and simple.

It's a game.

It's a company that makes games.

If Valve and Half-Life 2 got you this worked up, you really need to step back and rethink your priorities in life.

I for one can do that.

Can you?

I am also one that has not had the issues that some people claim a majority of users have.

I've been a computer gamer since 1983 on 4 very different types of computers.

I've learned patience when dealing with computers and gaming.

One point addressed directly at Superfly...

That is being childish. Really. Think about it.

I really hope that your "personal mission" involves making statements you can back up by *FACTUAL DATA* if not, I'd watch your back, because I think that may very well be actionable in a court of law.

Gentle
thats the funniest **** I've ever read.
Old 10-23-05, 09:11 AM   #54
F_L_C
Fun Lovin' Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Valve has cried wolf on "Loast" way too many times now. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-23-05, 07:02 PM   #55
aAv7

oh you'll see it now, they claimed they werent waiting for ait's card to come out, it's out now, and lo and behold so is the loast coast....just like half-life 2 will be available sept 30th 2003, just like there is no stuttering problem, just like valve is the perfect company they are. They do no wrong, how dare we not find a way to fix the stuttering ourselves, us 60% of the affected gaming community.... And how dare we get upset over a "game" that was highly anticipated, even lied about, hacked and finally delivered a year later, how dare we expect a decent product for the money we put down...and dont even get me started on the situation in my sig....

The deal is, I LIKE half-life 2, it's a good game, I dont like valves lies and dirty antics, I dont like that they constantly keep us in the dark. Anyone remember that little thing called aftermath? That was supposed to be out already, where is it? Not even a new screen, and let's not forget most of aftermath is the stuff they cut out of half-life 2 to get it out the door. So most of the stuff should be developed, and here we are...left in the dark. Then the random stuttering issue they dont say a word about...oh but you can plunk down $17.95 to play dod:s, God forbid they fess up to the botchy development and engine.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 10-23-05, 07:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aAv7
oh you'll see it now, they claimed they werent waiting for ait's card to come out, it's out now, and lo and behold so is the loast coast....just like half-life 2 will be available sept 30th 2003, just like there is no stuttering problem, just like valve is the perfect company they are. They do no wrong, how dare we not find a way to fix the stuttering ourselves, us 60% of the affected gaming community.... And how dare we get upset over a "game" that was highly anticipated, even lied about, hacked and finally delivered a year later, how dare we expect a decent product for the money we put down...and dont even get me started on the situation in my sig....

The deal is, I LIKE half-life 2, it's a good game, I dont like valves lies and dirty antics, I dont like that they constantly keep us in the dark. Anyone remember that little thing called aftermath? That was supposed to be out already, where is it? Not even a new screen, and let's not forget most of aftermath is the stuff they cut out of half-life 2 to get it out the door. So most of the stuff should be developed, and here we are...left in the dark. Then the random stuttering issue they dont say a word about...oh but you can plunk down $17.95 to play dod:s, God forbid they fess up to the botchy development and engine.

Though I agree with some things that you have said, I want to say this,
How do you know its 60% of the community?
I still believe it is unfair to blame Valve for what the publisher decided to do with the CE package.
Also they did mention why something did not make into the game, like that tenacle thingy. They said that it was cool seeing it take the Combine soldier, but it wasn't fun to fight at all, so they saw no point in keeping it in the game. From what I understand is someone is still working on that creature to make it more fun to fight, which tells me that they yet have another project taking resources away from things they need to be fixing.
I do agree that they need to really be more informative and be more involved with the community.

Old 10-23-05, 09:10 PM   #57
angshuman
Pink GBA

Quote:
How do you know its 60% of the community?
Same old story... only the people experiencing the problem comment about it in the online community, thus giving the impression that the problem is a lot more widespread than it actually is. However, in this case the absolute *number* of people facing the problem definitely appears to be much larger than usual... although I'm sure it's nowhere close to 60%, or Valve would be out of business by now. They may be "evil" but they can't be that stupid.

Edit: I just noticed that aAv7 had said "60% of the affected gaming community", so he probably wasn't implying that 60% of the community is affected. My bad.
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
Old 10-23-05, 09:41 PM   #58
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
ID said it would be out "when it was done," not November 2004, then May 2005, August 2005, September 2005...etc.
What was it that was said about D3 not being shown in 2 straight e3's?

What was that again?

Kyle, I understand your angst against Valve, but ID also strongly implied (though I don't think they gave out hard dates) that their product would be out within a certain timeframe. It was not and yet I didn't hear people go ballistic over ID not delivering on time.

Heck you remember the whole thing about it being designed for the gf3 and all that jazz?

Valve has a bad habit of missing dates and this is from the HL days.

It would be nice if this came out now so I can check it out, but hey if it doesn't come, it won't be a surprise.
Old 10-23-05, 11:39 PM   #59
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailthatguy
its a game, if you dont like it, dont play it. play something else. i think youre taking this whole video game thing way too seriously
Video and computer gaming are as part of my life as the oxygen I breath. It is a very, very important aspect of my life that I take very seriously. So much so that my career is being based off of my love for gaming. Do not act like gaming is some type of unimportant fad. That is fine if it is to you but do not treat people that think otherwise like we are on some lower intelligence level. We hardcore gamers have a name for people like you: "casual gamers". Idiot comes to mind also...

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
Old 10-24-05, 12:02 AM   #60
Lazaredz
Giggitty

Wow. This has gotten really out of hand. Lets all just take a deep breath and agree that:

1. Valve has had/has some buiness practices/choices that at best some consider "bad ideas" and at worst others consider "lies/false advertising".

2. Valve is NOT the only company ever guilty of doing something some would percieve as wrong/distastful.

3. Some people are VERY passionate about expressing their displeasure with different companies, their products, and business tactics. That is their right as it is your right to disagree with them.

4. Their is no pending legal action against any software developer reguarding "false advertising" because some people felt that the product did not live up to the promise made.

5. As there is no real legal course for unsatisfied customers to regain even a part of their hard earned money on a product they are unsatisfied with/feel is defective an apropriate action would be to let others know of their experiance in hopes that: a) the company will respond (either with a fix, appolgy, or refund), b) warn others so they can make an informed choice to purchase the product.

6. Being concerned with consumer protection/rights is an admirable goal. Even if others feel they don't "need" their rights/interests protected.

7. If one feels that a company is getting a "bad rap" then they also have the right to support said company passionately if they feel.

Look some people like Valve and their products, others don't. Same could be said for any company/business/product. Some are passionate because they feel they have "been burned" while others don't see what all the "hub-bub" is all about. Everybody just chill out, agree to disagree, and give it a rest. We all got your point and its (most likely) not going to change anyones mind.

As for Lost Coast, their giving it away ... can't really bitch about that. I mean, its free, who cares if its late???

Now if it was part of what I PAYED for (and an arguement could be made that it was) that would be a different story....
Closed Thread