Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-05, 05:09 PM   #73
Skinner

Default Re: Lost Coast... NEXT WEEK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
The only thing that really has me interested in Loast is that the grape vine is suggesting that all of the textures will be in 4096x4096 resolution. But judging from the screenshots seen, I don't think this is the case, so thus I am only mildly interested.

I wonder that too.
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Old 10-24-05, 05:24 PM   #74
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailthatguy
the point being, is labels on people are bad, aparently you think thats ok though, you seem to throw enough of them around.
Labels are bad M-may..,

There is nothing wrong with labels. I could get this moved to the PF in one fell swoop.
Old 10-24-05, 05:28 PM   #75
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Only reason I want Lost Coast is to see what HDR in HL2 looks like without having to waste my money on a MOD called DOD
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
Old 10-24-05, 06:39 PM   #76
jolle

Quote:
The only thing that really has me interested in Loast is that the grape vine is suggesting that all of the textures will be in 4096x4096 resolution. But judging from the screenshots seen, I don't think this is the case, so thus I am only mildly interested.
I guess it depends on how large a surface you stretch the texture over..
if its on the old mans face for example, it should look good tho, on terrain it might be less obvious..
Not every texture would be that large tho.
Old 10-24-05, 07:01 PM   #77
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

I don't like HDR in DoD:S in general it's just too bright when the transitions occur however without it some sections of the map become much darker. I'm not really looking forward to better graphics or fancy pants HDR (biggest fad ever) I'm looking forward to more HL2, even if it's short.
Old 10-24-05, 09:20 PM   #78
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
I guess it depends on how large a surface you stretch the texture over..
if its on the old mans face for example, it should look good tho, on terrain it might be less obvious..
Not every texture would be that large tho.
From what I read - EVERY texture is supposed to be. Course I don't know if that source was the most reliable.

However, valve has stated on numerous occasions that this "level" is supposed to require the highest of high end systems. That can't be strictly due to the HDR effects, as my system isn't even remotely in that category yet it way more than adequately fits the listed requirements of DOD:S with HDR enabled.

Speak of HDR though, I really don't get what the big deal about it is.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-25-05, 12:08 PM   #79
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
There are two reasons why the Lost Cause level will not feature 4kx4k textures:

* Are you aware that a non-compressed 4k texture eats up 48mb of RAM? This means you could store 5 textures into 256mb of video RAM and not have anymore RAM left to store the image your trying to render with your card. Of course you could compress those textures and find space for 20 textures in your video memory. A single level however can easily contain 100 textures.

* The only cards currently on the market which support more than 2048x2048 big textures are GeForce cards starting with the GF256. All GF cards support up to 4096x4096 however ATI cards (except the new X1000 series) are limited to 2048x2048.

So simply by offering 4kx4k textures, half of the market wouldn't be able to use them. Not gonna happen
Old 10-25-05, 04:27 PM   #80
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow
* Are you aware that a non-compressed 4k texture eats up 48mb of RAM? This means you could store 5 textures into 256mb of video RAM and not have anymore RAM left to store the image your trying to render with your card. Of course you could compress those textures and find space for 20 textures in your video memory. A single level however can easily contain 100 textures.
Well, you don't necessarily have to fit all of them into video memory at once in order to have a high framerate. Provided you have a fast bus speed and fast memory, it can juggle it around with no skips. If you use DXT1 compression, you could fit about 23 into the vram at any given moment, which should be plenty. Especially given the LOD adjustments which will free up memory otherwise used by textures that are seen from a long distance where you can't possibly see that much detail anyways.

Quote:
* The only cards currently on the market which support more than 2048x2048 big textures are GeForce cards starting with the GF256. All GF cards support up to 4096x4096 however ATI cards (except the new X1000 series) are limited to 2048x2048.
This could be the big reason why they waited so long to release this level. Its original name was the "ati level," and they stated repeatedly that you'll require a tip top system in order to play it at all. However, engineering problems at ATI's end caused them to put a very long delay in their next generation of GPUs. Meanwhile, nvidia continued to pump out new cards that have increasingly fast memory bandwidth that can handle this kind of thing quite well.

Quote:
So simply by offering 4kx4k textures, half of the market wouldn't be able to use them. Not gonna happen
They have already said that most people won't be able to play this. Like I said, it was probably only intended for ATI's latest generation of cards, but they didn't anticipate ATI doing as bad as they did, nor nvidia doing as well as they did.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-25-05, 05:53 PM   #81
ST:DS9

Quote:
Well, you don't necessarily have to fit all of them into video memory at once in order to have a high framerate. Provided you have a fast bus speed and fast memory, it can juggle it around with no skips. If you use DXT1 compression, you could fit about 23 into the vram at any given moment, which should be plenty. Especially given the LOD adjustments which will free up memory otherwise used by textures that are seen from a long distance where you can't possibly see that much detail anyways.

This could be the big reason why they waited so long to release this level. Its original name was the "ati level," and they stated repeatedly that you'll require a tip top system in order to play it at all. However, engineering problems at ATI's end caused them to put a very long delay in their next generation of GPUs. Meanwhile, nvidia continued to pump out new cards that have increasingly fast memory bandwidth that can handle this kind of thing quite well.

They have already said that most people won't be able to play this. Like I said, it was probably only intended for ATI's latest generation of cards, but they didn't anticipate ATI doing as bad as they did, nor nvidia doing as well as they did.

I could see threads popping up now with people saying that the level was coded badly because it doesn't run well on thier system. When its explained to them that the level was meant for tip top high end systems, they'll complain that Valve screwed 80% of thier customers, and then the same old arguments will happen again.
Old 10-25-05, 06:11 PM   #82
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

OMG THEY FOUND TEH LOST COAST. IT'S TEH FOUND COAST NOW HAR HAR HAR.

edit: caps circumvent
Old 10-25-05, 09:12 PM   #83
Redeemed

Will it be free to those whom already own HL2?
Old 10-25-05, 10:33 PM   #84
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Will it be free to those whom already own HL2?
Nothing is completely free today. You will have to download it so unless you get internet for free, it will cost something, and let it be time. Also, as any recent Valve product, it will give you some headache one way or the other.

But to answer your question seriously, yes its free if you own HL2.
Closed Thread