Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-05, 06:38 PM   #1
Insomnia

Default ATI -vs- nVidia IMHO

After being a long-time ATI Linux user (I am the founder of the GATOS project and both an XFree86 developer and Xorg member, not to mention a contributor to wine, xmame and countless other projects), ATI's stand against free driver support and horrific latest Linux drivers inspired me to finally check out nVidia before purchasing my next round of video cards for playing Quake 4. I found an EVGA e-GeForce FX 5500 256MB card in a local store and tried it.

For the most part, I am pleased. The 3D picture quality is not as good as my Radeon 9200, but the performance is better. The drivers are far more stable (I had one lockup when swithcing between it and Xorg's NV, but none while just using 1.0-7676). There is one serious problem with XV support, but I will send that in another post for clarity.

On another, less important, note: one feature the ATI driver has that I found quite useful, which the nVidia driver does not seem to have, is that the ATI driver exports hardware-supported 8-bit visuals in 24-bit mode. This makes the playing of classic games like Total Annihilation and Starcraft in wine even better in performance than in Windows itself. Any chance nVidia could provide this feature as well?

I still haven't decided which way to go with my future card purchases, I guess the feedback I get here will be a big factor.

One other thing on that note, this forum's design needs a bit of help. Navigation is a bit of a nightmare. And, come on, having to wait 60 seconds before you can refine a search? What's that about? If you're worried about spamming searches, how about a limit of a few searches a minute. At least that would allow for search refinement. Also, figuring out how to post to a forum shouldn't be this complicated. It seems at first glace to still be a far better resource than anything the ATI Linux community offers though.
Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 11:19 PM   #2
Ironi

Default Re: ATI -vs- nVidia IMHO

Nevermind; misinterpreted "free driver support" as free as in freedom driver.
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 10:29 AM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're experiencing problems, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 01:35 PM   #4
Lithorus

Quote:
On another, less important, note: one feature the ATI driver has that I found quite useful, which the nVidia driver does not seem to have, is that the ATI driver exports hardware-supported 8-bit visuals in 24-bit mode. This makes the playing of classic games like Total Annihilation and Starcraft in wine even better in performance than in Windows itself. Any chance nVidia could provide this feature as well?
I was abit curious about this. Are you saying that Total Annihilation is running faster on your ATI in Xorg than Nvidia? Or is it just possible to make it run better? I have to admit that I hate the current perfomance of TA in Xor
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 01:54 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

You could start a second X server at depth 8 (startx -- -depth 8 :1, assuming you have a depth 8 Display subsection in your Screen section) and run your Wine game there.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 06:23 PM   #6
Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
I was abit curious about this. Are you saying that Total Annihilation is running faster on your ATI in Xorg than Nvidia? Or is it just possible to make it run better? I have to admit that I hate the current perfomance of TA in Xor
I was saying that running TA in wine in Xorg with the ATI proprietary driver actually runs it better than rebooting to Windows and running TA in actual Windows with the same ATI card. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old 10-23-05, 06:26 PM   #7
Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
You could start a second X server at depth 8 (startx -- -depth 8 :1, assuming you have a depth 8 Display subsection in your Screen section) and run your Wine game there.
Yes, though colormaps sometimes get confused, with or without a window manager. I should try that with your driver to see if its better than it is in the other setups I've done that in. One of the reasons I really like running it in the same X server is that I can then easilly switch between virtual desktops while playing. I can queue up a bunch of tasks for my commander and then check e-mail without switching servers. I can even run it in a window, which can be really nice (though frags mouse-scrolling). If I run it in another x server, that usually means switching causes an apparent mode change (at least to my monitor), which means a second or two of blanking between switches. That can get you killed in a lot of games.

Not to mention, native 8-bit visuals in the same 24-bit desktop makes things really simple for the end user. They just run the game and don't need to care or even know about how it works. I am starting to really like Linux as a general computing platform, including gaming, and have recommended it to a number of novice users who have been quite successful at using it thanks greatly to your quality (and not RedHat-centric, thank you) driver installer. These users wouldn't know the first thing about starting a second X server.
Old 10-23-05, 06:37 PM   #8
Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're experiencing problems, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.
Thanks. I figured since I was a total noob when it came to nVidia's drivers, I'd start here with my problems and only report them as bugs if I don't resolve them here quickly. I've already resolved most of my issues myself, so it seems like it was a good plan.

I still have two issues at the moment. One is that I have to specify my monitor mode at a lower refresh than the autodetected mode. This seems to be because my monitor is one of those that lies about it capabilities (the driver thinks the pixel clock is too high), but I can't seem to get any of the appropriate options in the nVidia driver to actually override this so it can use its normal mode. This isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to see it able to hande this kind of thing in a simpler way, like the free nv and all the ATI drivers do (they all just generate a warning and use the mode anyway).

The other issue is in Descent 3 (Yes, I still play Descent 3). In the game itself, there is no problem, but in the intermediate screens, when it changes modes, the modes themselves don't show up corrrectly. They either show up as a flickering tiled/distorted versions of the screen that my monitor thinks is still 1680x1050 (its native res), or as a blank screen which my monitor thinks is just some invalid mode. Unfortunately, D3 doesn't allow me to substitute a newer SDL library for testing, so I can only tweak with the driver. So far no luck, no matter which type of scaling/dithering I use. Fortunately, D3 implements ALT-ENTER fullscreen/windowed switching, so I can get around this problem that way (since these screens do display fine when in a window).

If I don't figure these problems out (or get a solution for them here) soon, I will create an official bug report. Thanks.

Old 10-24-05, 03:47 AM   #9
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Well after I started Xorg in 8-bit mode, cedega won't even start the game complaining about OpenGL. I will try with a Wine instead later..
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 04:04 AM   #10
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Well after I started Xorg in 8-bit mode, cedega won't even start the game complaining about OpenGL. I will try with a Wine instead later..
Wine crashes for me when trying to load Starcraft in 8bit depth...
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote