Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-05, 06:59 AM   #73
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Default Re: *** Official Lost Coast Feedback Thread ***

Is it just me or does HDR hardly seem worth the cost right now? Until its imp[limented ground up in a game, its just something to look at. Maybe I should downlaod it and i'll disagree... but... nyuh...
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 07:23 AM   #74
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

I liked the level. It was REALLY short though. With all the hype surrounding it I thought it would be a bit longer, but I guess the hype was more about the rewrites of the code to incorporate the new technologies. I liked the HDR effect and would rather play with that than FSAA. HDR in Splinter Cell did seem cooler though.

For all those that haven't played it yet start off with the audio commentary off and then go back through it as god mode is activated when the audio commentary is enabled.

And I really liked the audio commentary. Especially when they explain how stuff works for both the tech and level design.

BTW Anyone find a way to get the console running? If I add -console to the hl2.exe found in the Loast-coast demo it errors out before even loading. I wanted to activate the in-game fps display, and more importantly make a short timedemo
Old 10-28-05, 07:36 AM   #75
macatak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanM

BTW Anyone find a way to get the console running? If I add -console to the hl2.exe found in the Loast-coast demo it errors out before even loading. I wanted to activate the in-game fps display, and more importantly make a short timedemo
It's the same as in HL2, at the Main Menu screen go to Options/Keyboard/Advanced and tick "enable developer console" then all you need to do to open the console is press the "~" key
Old 10-28-05, 09:34 AM   #76
Filibuster
1000 Needles!

There is fire after the Helicopter explodes, it left some parts on the deck that are on fire for a few seconds. I definately noticed that, but I didn't pay attention to how the fire is done (sprite or 3d).
AMD Athlon 64 3500 / Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Nforce4 / Samsung 1GB (512MB X2) DDR 400MHz RAM / BFG 6800GT OC PCIe / Viewsonic PF790 19" CRT / Swiftech MCX64-V / WD Raptor 74GB SATA / WD Caviar Special Edition 120GB USB 2.0 / Antec Neopower 480W PSU / Creative Audigy2 / Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 / Logitech MX 700 / Antec P160 case
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:47 AM   #77
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

It's neat and I liked the commentary. I'll probably never run it again.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:54 AM   #78
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filibuster
There is fire after the Helicopter explodes, it left some parts on the deck that are on fire for a few seconds. I definately noticed that, but I didn't pay attention to how the fire is done (sprite or 3d).
You're right, I forgot about that. I'll replay it tonight and see if I can get a closeup shot of how they implement fire. I think Sazar's earlier shot does seem to indicate that it has not changed though.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 10:10 AM   #79
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
You're right, I forgot about that. I'll replay it tonight and see if I can get a closeup shot of how they implement fire. I think Sazar's earlier shot does seem to indicate that it has not changed though.
The chopper fire dies out very quickly and it looks exactly the same as the fire from the actual game.

It is obvious that no time was spent with vegetation and things like that lol, it looks absolutely retarded twisting and turning in its 2d enviroment while you walk around. Fortunately specular, hdr and water effects are awesome and the old fisherman's model is very well put together.

Another thing that bugs me. Gordon freeman can withstand direct shots from bullets and missles, with his suit, he can fall large distances without dieing and yet little leeches chew him to bits in seconds?

It's just funny

Love how shiny the gun is at the start

I want me a shiny gun.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 10:11 AM   #80
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
That isn't a bug. The combine are at church, don't you know anything? They levitate and assume a special praying position while facing east when they worship their god.
They're supposed to bend over dammit

What good are they if they don't bend over?

Old 10-28-05, 10:12 AM   #81
ST:DS9

I was very impressed, wish all of HL2 looked just like that.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 10:22 AM   #82
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I wish instead of a tiny map that looks pretty in parts but is hilariously bad in others, they should have added it perhaps to something like "sand-traps" in an out-door environment, or route kanal and gotten things going that route.

Maps already there, throw in a high res G-man and blam

I liked a lot of the features but if its a tech-demo and runs as it does, why have stupid AI and un-needed NPC's? They are soooo scripted its too funny
Old 10-28-05, 10:52 AM   #83
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

WOW that was fantastic!! the way HDR meant to look IMO! i'm impressed!! now lets see more game uses this method of HDR.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 11:01 AM   #84
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

First off for all those saying it was too short, give it a rest. It is a single level demo of HDR not a full game. sheesh.

I really liked it. Some of the effects are really beautiful. The water is simply awesome and the way the light streams through the windows of the church is simply breathtaking. I'm still not a big fan of using HDR to blind the player, like when you come out of a dark tunnel into bright light, but I guess it has its moments. Seems to me that this is still being over done to a degree.

If you listen to the commenary they keep talking about how the parts of the engine and some shaders had to be re-written to be fully HDR so I would guess that Valve has a pretty good start on getting their engine fully HDR ready. I wonder how hard it would be to re-do the entire HL2 game with HDR. That would be really cool and I'll bet many of the areas would play totally differently with the HDR effects.

MY 6800GT ran this demo smooth as silk so I don't know if I agree that the cost of HDR is not quite worth the effects. My only complaint about HDR was in losing FSAA and that doesn't seem to be a problem here. HDR done right????
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote