Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-05, 03:54 PM   #97
anticitizenzero

Send a message via AIM to anticitizenzero
Default Re: *** Official Lost Coast Feedback Thread ***

Quote:
I find HL2 HDR quite nice but it not as great as Far Cry HDR, I wished Far Cry had FSAA with HDR so I hope Crytek will find a workaround in future patch.
Far Cry HDR was horrible, it was just like they slapped it on the game and said heres HDR, Lost Coast they took time to implement it correctly, so light bulbs wouldnt put out the same amount of light as a small sun like far cry does.
anticitizenzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 03:56 PM   #98
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yea, I also think that HL2 HDR looks better than FarCry. Its way overdone in FarCry.
Old 10-28-05, 04:02 PM   #99
holdenb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Yea, I also think that HL2 HDR looks better than FarCry. Its way overdone in FarCry.

agreed....

the HDR in farcry is just way over the top bloom effects....

the HDR in lost coast is a lot more subtle and also shows in the way light interacts with surfaces

Win XP
holdenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 05:00 PM   #100
sillyeagle
sillyego

Wow an amazing demo, by far best graphics in a game I have seen. Beats the **** out of FEAR for sure, especially in the visual impact vs. performance area. The masters at valve certainly know gameplay and technology.

For those that are whining about how long it takes to produce something like this, if you think you can do it faster, I'd like to see it. Nobody else has produced Half Life 2 or Lost Coast faster than Valve has, so how can you whine? Obviously these things take time....
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-28-05, 05:05 PM   #101
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticitizenzero
Lost Coast they took time to implement it correctly,
This is true, Valve has done it all just right. There's a real level of genius in thier implimentation. I doubt anybody will be able to do it better for a long time.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-28-05, 06:09 PM   #102
angshuman
Pink GBA

I don't know about genius... though they *have* used a couple of innovative tricks to make HDR work with AA. They're not using the "easy way out" FP16 pipeline; rather I believe they use the INT16 path and a bunch of other tricks. However, IMHO something about the overbright bloom seems unnatural, especially on large flat surfaces (such as walls)... some guy at B3D pointed out that they were blooming with a threshold 0.5 instead of 1.0 or something, that could be the cause of it.

However, from a layman's (my) perspective, on large flat walls, the bloom seems a lot more intense in the center than at the edges... I can't really place it, but it looks really weird in Lost Coast. Check out screenshots of The Getaway 3 (PS3)... that's what I think HDR bloom should actually look like on large flat surfaces... it's beautiful, and it looks completely natural and correct.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/t...reenindex.html
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 07:12 PM   #103
technoid

I just got through playing Lost Coast and to be honest I didn't like it all that much. It did have some nice things, the high res textures were good and the fisherman with more polys looked nice but I'm just not that excited about HDR. It may be better than the other games that did it, this is the first I've seen. The bright and then adjust dealie doesn't do much for me and the overall effect is just so so. I think if they toned it down about 50 percent it would look better. I know they're trying to add more realism but it doesn't seem that real to me, just another effect that's over done.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 07:55 PM   #104
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenb
agreed....

the HDR in farcry is just way over the top bloom effects....

the HDR in lost coast is a lot more subtle and also shows in the way light interacts with surfaces
Uhh, you people DO realize that Far Cry's HDR was fully adjustable? A simple console command can set the blooming amount to whatever you want, and it supported many variations of HDR which produced different results. In Lost Coast, you simply don't have an option.

I'd be much more impressed with the HDR if it would actually work with already existing content instead of having to convert everything to it in order to use it. Putting a single effect into a 7-minute map is hardly as worthy of praise as implimenting it into a full game that wasn't even made for it, imo.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-05, 08:01 PM   #105
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I liked the variations. Thats the key thing for me is the way the bloom changed with the duration of time you spent looking at the light source.

The flashlight is still one of my favs and I am completely disregarding the whole AI/NPC aspect here because they didn't add anything to the experience.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:00 PM   #106
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

I just got this message when logging in to steam:
Quote:
Friday, October 28 2005

We hope everyone is enjoying Lost Coast. We've received a number of e-mails with positive feedback about the commentary system included in Lost Coast, so it's a safe bet that we'll look for ways to include commentary in future products.

We're now going to be looking toward releasing some new Counter-Strike: Source content we've been working on. The next two maps coming will be updated versions of de_nuke and cs_militia, along with a number of new player models for both sides. We'll give everyone a sneak peek at Nuke and some of the new models next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two weeks ago we mentioned our affinity for all things zombie, along with the note that someone here at Valve had made a short movie on the subject. Zombie Movie has won Best Comedy Horror Short down at Screamfest L.A. and we're looking forward to delivering the movie over Steam soon. We think everyone will get a kick out of it.
So more HDR maybe to look forward to? I wanna see those zombies too.
(New thread here for off-topic comments on this.)
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:08 PM   #107
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Oh my gosh. de_nuke is coming back

TOTALLY AWESOME.

It was my fav map back in the day. cs_militia will also be kewl.

And just think if they ever do a new VIP map for oilrig with HDR and water effects

How awesome would that be.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:19 PM   #108
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Yeah
I'll repost this in a new thread since it'll get off-topic fast. I just figured it was directly related to the feedback that they got for Lost Coast.

Here we go. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=731307
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote