Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-05, 11:27 AM   #1
ViN86

Default CS:S crashes...

im getting crashes when i play source. does anyone else get this?

what happens is that sometimes ill get a BSOD and then the computer will restart and proceed to tell me that the system has recovered from a critical error after the restart. also, when im playin, sometimes the computer will freeze, or just source will freeze and give me a windows error notification.

this has to be a problem with source, as i play other games that do not respond the same way. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory does not freeze and neither do my OpenGL games.

im using the 81.85's from Tweaks R Us. before i was using the 81.84's and had the same problem. maybe ill try using some WHQL certified 7x.xx series drivers and see if it helps.

does anyone else get these crashes? is it caused by the dual core cpu? when i set affinity to cpu 0 it helps, however it freezes off cpu 1.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 12:03 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: CS:S crashes...

Do you have CnQ on?

I was noticing weird hangs with CnQ on when it was rapidly changing speeds between apps (when loading certain apps). Turning it off it fixed everything for me.

Might be teh AMD driver.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 01:40 PM   #3
nVidiaGuru
nvidias #1 fanboy!

Send a message via AIM to nVidiaGuru Send a message via Yahoo to nVidiaGuru

i had similar errors when i had my memory timings too tight. For one reason or another the source engine is picky about tight timings.
nVidiaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 01:15 AM   #4
ViN86

thx guys

it seems to be the dual core cpu for me. its weird, and i dont know why, but when i run without affinity set (using both cores) the game is choppy and has a tendency to freeze. when i run the game just on the second core, it freezes, but when i run it on the first it runs fine.

both cores are prime95 stable though, so i dont really know why. maybe the games just picky....
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 01:58 AM   #5
nVidiaGuru
nvidias #1 fanboy!

Send a message via AIM to nVidiaGuru Send a message via Yahoo to nVidiaGuru

I was getting close to the errors your describing. I could not run any game in dual core with 81.84's, it would freeze randomly but when i set it to one cpu it ran flawlessly. When i went back 78.03's i could run dual cores fine, and the last 2 beta drivers did not have the bug either
nVidiaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote