Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-05, 07:38 AM   #1
holdenb

Default Poor FEAR performance....is it time for 512mb Vid cards

Even with all the speed in my rig....if I run everything maxed out with 2xAA/4xAF soft shadows off 1600x1200 I get a horribly chopppy gameplay experience......

my overall frame rate seems fine however (stress test min 38/max 156/ avg 63)

This all reminds me of the day i ran call of duty on my 128mb 9800pro....then ran choppy as hell until i got my my 1st 256mb card

I think the high res textures are being swapped out to system memory.....anyone got a 512mb card to check my theory.....

Incidentally i see a good improvement if i set my drivers to "performance"

Win XP
holdenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 07:52 AM   #2
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: Poor FEAR performance....is it time for 512mb Vid cards

Nope its actually your amount of RAM. its recommended to have 2GB of system RAM for smooth gameplay. of course a 512MB card would be great , but getting 2gb ram will help you alot aswell.

also for better SLI performance look here :
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58893

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 08:09 AM   #3
holdenb

I'm a bit confused now.....

I was just about to stick in my new 2gb of ballistix tracer when i thought i would fire up my FEAR for a "before and after" type effect.....

To my surprise the stuttering has pretty much gone!!!

Now i am no n00b when it comes to tweaking my rig, but i can't think of anything i have done differently since last time i ran it EXCEPT used the "no DVD crack"

Now, the fixed exe has fixed the stuttering in the title screen and the bug i was getting where i could not launch from the desktop, but only from the auto-launch..........it seems it also improved my frame-rate!!!!

WTF???? Is the copy protection really that intrusive??

for now i'm gonna stick with my current RAM.....nothing can beat my BH-5 @ 258mhz 2-2-2-5

Win XP
Old 10-29-05, 08:11 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

SecuROM and Safedisc 3 are known to cause problems like this. Hopefully Monolith will follow Epic's footsteps and release a patch for the game that will eliminate the copy protection after a while.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 10:08 AM   #5
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
SecuROM and Safedisc 3 are known to cause problems like this. Hopefully Monolith will follow Epic's footsteps and release a patch for the game that will eliminate the copy protection after a while.
Yeah, I really like that about Epic. They seem to realize how much of a pain copy protection can be and are willing to compromise on it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 10:21 AM   #6
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

I haven't fully understood the problem with this type copy protection in games. Can someone explain?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 02:59 PM   #7
Despotes

With my system and FEAR TEST showing Above 40fps at 100%, it's not smooth as butter. Many scenes dip fairly low to at least be annoying.
All Max with 8X Ani/2XAA SS off 1600X1200.
Maybe 2 dual gpu 7800GTX's running in SLI would give acceptable performance??
Asus 5870
74Gb Raptor/250GbHD/WD6400/1001
X-Fi Platinum
Silverstone Zeus 850
Dell 2405FPW
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's
Lian Li PC73-SLB

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler, 1935
Despotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 03:03 PM   #8
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Actually its video card ram that the game needs. 512mb of GDDR will make it completely smooth.

Once again, it goes like this:

Game fills up texture memory on graphics card, swaps to system memory, if you have only 1GB of system memory, it runs out of system ram, then it swaps to the HD. Swapping to the HD causes all the stuttering.

The temporary fix would be 2GB's of ram.

I say temporary because system ram is incredibly slow compared to memory on a graphics card.
400MHz DDR vs. 1.2GHz GDDR3.

512mb of video ram is the best solution to resolve stuttering.

Check out this quote from Firingsquad:
Quote:
While this probably isn’t pertinent to the mainstream graphics card segment, we still wanted to get a quick answer to this question. Our testing with Sapphire’s RADEON X800 XL 512MB showed some pretty surprising performance gains with the 512MB board. In fact, the Sapphire X800 XL 512MB outperformed the RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition once 4xAA/16xAF was turned on.
Using AA/AF ups the texture memory requirements even further, so its not suprising that the 512MB card is able to perform, since the system would be starving for fast ram. Very rarely does overall video ram actually impact your overall FPS though, its more of a stutter/lag, Fear/BF2 is more of an extreme situation.

Even with 2GB's of ram, sometimes in Fear or BF2, if I turn a quick corner, the scene seems to "lag" its pretty hard to explain, I don't see this issue with the lower texture settings, so a 512MB card should help even myself in that sense.

Old 10-29-05, 04:06 PM   #9
holdenb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Actually its video card ram that the game needs. 512mb of GDDR will make it completely smooth.

Once again, it goes like this:

Game fills up texture memory on graphics card, swaps to system memory, if you have only 1GB of system memory, it runs out of system ram, then it swaps to the HD. Swapping to the HD causes all the stuttering.

The temporary fix would be 2GB's of ram.

I say temporary because system ram is incredibly slow compared to memory on a graphics card.
400MHz DDR vs. 1.2GHz GDDR3.

512mb of video ram is the best solution to resolve stuttering.

Check out this quote from Firingsquad:

Using AA/AF ups the texture memory requirements even further, so its not suprising that the 512MB card is able to perform, since the system would be starving for fast ram. Very rarely does overall video ram actually impact your overall FPS though, its more of a stutter/lag, Fear/BF2 is more of an extreme situation.

Even with 2GB's of ram, sometimes in Fear or BF2, if I turn a quick corner, the scene seems to "lag" its pretty hard to explain, I don't see this issue with the lower texture settings, so a 512MB card should help even myself in that sense.

All that's pretty much what I thought so i'm glad someone agrees

Is it still gonna be worth it putting 2GB system RAM in?? I am a bit reluctant as my overclock is pretty good at the moment and i think 2gb might compromise this a bit......at least in the synthetic benches....

Win XP
Old 10-29-05, 04:20 PM   #10
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Synthetic benchies will hurt a bit because you will need to go down to 2T timings. You should be able to keep the same OC, you may need a little more voltage, but you will definetely need to move it up to 2T timings... about 200 or so 3DMarks I believe... Games such as BF2, EQ2, Fear, and Quake4, you will see noticably less stuttering.

BTW, talk about a hardcore rig, man that AMD system you have is a beast And on air cooling, nice I have always dreamed of hitting 3GHz, but, not gonna happen for me, at least not yet.
Old 10-29-05, 05:25 PM   #11
holdenb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Synthetic benchies will hurt a bit because you will need to go down to 2T timings. You should be able to keep the same OC, you may need a little more voltage, but you will definetely need to move it up to 2T timings... about 200 or so 3DMarks I believe... Games such as BF2, EQ2, Fear, and Quake4, you will see noticably less stuttering.

BTW, talk about a hardcore rig, man that AMD system you have is a beast And on air cooling, nice I have always dreamed of hitting 3GHz, but, not gonna happen for me, at least not yet.

Thanks buddy ..........I have been very pleased with my FX-57 much better overclocker than i thought it would be!!

Don't worry though your dual core system will soon wipe the floor with it once dual threaded games touch down

Win XP