Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-01-05, 03:15 AM   #1
pierodesalvia

Default VIVO - tv-in

(I am reposting from the general linux forum)
Hi guys,

I have this card (6600 GT):

http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Product...X66T128VP.htm#

It's got tv-in and tv-out. I tried the tv-in on windows and it works fine. On linux, I don't get /dev/video* created, which, as I understand, are the representation of video input.

In various places I heard the 6600 GT does not have video input, so card manufacturers add another chip for that, usually a philips (SAA something).

In this case, should I stop trying to get the nvidia driver to do tv-in? I tried various tv-in drivers, like rivatv, to no avail.

Anybody knows what's going on with this card? Is there a way to reverse-engineer things in windows to find out the (supposed) tv-in chipset?

thanks

piero
pierodesalvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 07:50 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: VIVO - tv-in

Right now there's no TV-in support for Nvidia cards on Linux. In short there's a tvin chip on the videocard to which a driver needs access and second a driver needs access to certain parts of the GPU. The nvidia drivers refuse to let other drivers access their GPU at the same time they are loaded. (reason is that this can easily cause instability as both drivers would need to track what both are doing and there are more issues ..) There's one project called rivatv which does exactly this but for the given reason it doesn't work with (recent) nvidia drivers.

Nvidia itself doesn't support tv-in as on windows. They might provide support in the future but don't count on it.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 11:10 AM   #3
pierodesalvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Right now there's no TV-in support for Nvidia cards on Linux. In short there's a tvin chip on the videocard to which a driver needs access and second a driver needs access to certain parts of the GPU. The nvidia drivers refuse to let other drivers access their GPU at the same time they are loaded. (reason is that this can easily cause instability as both drivers would need to track what both are doing and there are more issues ..) There's one project called rivatv which does exactly this but for the given reason it doesn't work with (recent) nvidia drivers.

Nvidia itself doesn't support tv-in as on windows. They might provide support in the future but don't count on it.
Ok I got it. Thanks!
Old 11-01-05, 12:04 PM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

Arrow Re: VIVO - tv-in

Quote:
Bwah? This turns out not to be the case. NVIDIA certainly supports TV input under Windows. I've done this myself, and IIRC, I was both awake and sober.

If you have NVIDIA hardware with VIVO/personal cinema/NVTV, download the WDM drivers from the NVIDIA.com website to get Windows support for video-input. With WDM drivers, you can use video input for packages such as Windows Movie Maker, Intervideo, and AvidEditor. (Turn off nView...video input doesn't play nice with multiple monitors.)

Perhaps you mean to say that NVIDIA hasn't released any consumer PVR or video editing applications?
Old 11-01-05, 12:38 PM   #5
Thunderbird

I meant 'nvidia doesn't support tv-in in the way it does on windows' saying that they don't support it on Linux...
Old 11-02-05, 12:07 AM   #6
ricercar
fugue master

D'oh, of course.
Old 11-05-05, 04:33 PM   #7
pierodesalvia

Quote:

Uhmmm....just a sec...i reloaded the wdm driver on windows (and by the way, it comes from nvidia) with my latest nvida gpu driver....all of these accesses that cannot happen under linux, do happen under windows, and no instability ensues...maybe you linux nvidia guys need to walk across the hall and talk to your windows colleagues...
Old 11-06-05, 04:14 AM   #8
Thunderbird

On Windows the nvidia drivers provide all this functionality. (the tvin chip is accessed through the GPU and the driver communicates with the GPU)

The rivatv project isn't sponsored by nvidia, both drivers don't communicate with each other. Nvidia atleast up to now isn't interested in tvin for Linux.

Old 11-06-05, 11:01 AM   #9
klando

Nvidia will not provide good suport to Linux users ?
klando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 02:22 PM   #10
Thunderbird

I don't know what nvidia's plans are but as you can see they aren't very interested in tvin for Linux at the moment. (else there would have been drivers) The situation might change in the future but don't know anything about it.
Old 11-17-05, 06:21 AM   #11
workonwomen

Nvidia!
GIVE US on LINUX TV input support!
Or give enough information to rivatv project!
workonwomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 03:17 AM   #12
hotbelgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by workonwomen
Nvidia!
GIVE US on LINUX TV input support!
Or give enough information to rivatv project!
I second that.
hotbelgo is offline   Reply With Quote