Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-05, 08:57 AM   #109
Brehon

Default Re: Call of Duty 2 DX9 performance fixes

It's the sound folks. If you have an audigy, switch to EAX 3. You should see a huge impovement in FPS. If not, switch back to miles, and the re-initialilization of the sound will make your fps soar. No joke. Try it and sit back in amazement. Dual Gfx cards are for 2036 widescreen gaming. Save your money.
Brehon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 03:16 PM   #110
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
imo you where misinformaed.
oh really? well that's good news. what's with that stupid boycott thing then?
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 07:08 PM   #111
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0j081
oh really? well that's good news. what's with that stupid boycott thing then?
the stupid boycott thing is about an anti cheat, but personally i dont care if they ever get a AC. take FarCry for eg, it uses PunkBuster but cheating is still rampant, and there sure are alot of people playing it online. so it can't suck that bad ! personally i really enjoy it despite the cheaters.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 11:33 PM   #112
balex99

This seems to be the only thread I can find pertaining to DirectX9 and Call of Duty 2. Is it just me or does DX7 look better than DX9? Playing the Pipeline section and under DX7 the textures are much better. The floor grating, the brick walls, and the woooden floor. DX9 showed snow(looks good btw) but textures are def lower. Performance is def better with DX7.

This applies to the demo as well. At the first when you are in the truck, under DX9 the wood and the soldiers uniforms were pretty plain, but under DX7 they looked a whole lot better.

Has anyone else seen this or is this a well known issue and I didn't search well enough?
balex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 05:10 AM   #113
j0j081

what card are you using?
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 12:52 PM   #114
balex99

I am running 2 x 7800GTs on a EVGA N41 SLI board. When I ran the demo I used a single card. Using the 81.95's
balex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 06:00 PM   #115
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

I've given up trying to run this game at my LCD's native res which is 1280x1024, and settled for 1024x768 noAA. At least I get reasonable fps (45-50 average) with all the details on and DX9 on my 6800GT then.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 07:51 PM   #116
/<evin
teh sexz0r

Send a message via AIM to /<evin

oh man two words for you my friend, utterly amazing. My fps jumped a little too high? you saved me from buying a new gfc, it went from 33fps when i came in server to about 60-90 fps and goes even higher into gameplay, its incredible. The weirdest thing is that i dl teh cfg into main (not player profile) and i see the folder and the two cfgs inside. The codes "," "." and "/" dont work? but how come i get a high fps rate since i downloaded? Maybe it does but nothing happens when i press them, my screen doesnt even freeze as you said it would, and i dont see anything. Did i put it in the wrong place? maybe it is working bc my fps jump? Who knows im not complaining but if i could get it to work and my fps would be even "higher" it would be appreciated

oh and yes in console i type /exec autoexec.cfg
what could be wrong?
/<evin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-05, 09:57 PM   #117
Aphot
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Aphot Send a message via MSN to Aphot

I cant run DX9 no probs but the textures look like crap. I have to swtich it to DX7 to get it to run "Extra" textures
2 HIS HD6970's in Crossfire
Western Digital;
2 Velociraptor 300GB in Raid 0
2 Caviar Black 1.0TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Denon PRA-1000 , POA-1500
Celestion Ditton 442's
Corsair HX 1050
Antec P183
Dell U2410
Sennheiser HD 555
Razer Deathadder / Razer Lycosa
Aphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 05:38 PM   #118
Zazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
I've given up trying to run this game at my LCD's native res which is 1280x1024, and settled for 1024x768 noAA. At least I get reasonable fps (45-50 average) with all the details on and DX9 on my 6800GT then.
Sorry but, could you please tell me your configuration? Because here, with my 6800GT@Ultra at 1024x768 and detail to the max, I get crappy FPS (25-30 minimum)...
Zazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 04:11 AM   #119
Frag Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkinbob
...then in the console type "exec autoexec.cfg" to enable the first tweak and misc other minor tweaks...
According to Tweakguides.com, this should not be necessary. Using the advice from that site, I added "+exec autoexec.cfg" to the target line of the launch icon (without the quotes, and a space first) to enable my autoexec.cfg file com_hunkMegs 512.

Even with the cfg file left to the default 200 for hunkMegs, I now see 512 listed when I do a "com" search in the console.

The picmips tweak you mentioned makes no sense to me. You start off saying using a textue setting of Extra (ie: 0) boosts fps, but in the tweak show both 0 and 2 values. I'm using an X800XT, and don't see ANY commands in the config file to do with multigpu or gpusync, so apparently those tweaks are not needed or even usable to ATI owners.

So, at this point I'm not understanding whether you are saying the setting itself, or changing it without a vid restart is actually doing the boosting? It appears to me it's the latter and is a result of the game being fooled by changing it without a vid restart, which may only work for Nvidia users as well. At any rate, if it's the way it's changed, rather than the setting itself, I can't see any practicality to doing that every time a level loads. If this is the case, adding +exec autoexec.cfg to the target line of the launch icon to automatically apply the settings would probably not do any good. I tend to wonder too if eventually this console changing method would have any adverse effects.

Apparently one other thing they could have done better is for the game to automatically recognize autoexec.cfg files WITHOUT the launch icon target line modification, like many games do. I also find it odd that despite setting the in game menu to trilinear for textures, the cfg file reads 8 for anisotropy. Most devs use 8 to signify 8x anisotropic filtering, could this be a bug too? It is well known that dropping the default 8x filtering that some games use (Doom3 for instance) to a value of 4 increases fps dramatically while effecting IQ very little.

http://www.tweakguides.com/COD2_7.html
(Look for the "Autoexec.cfg" paragraph under Config Files)

This is exactly how that added line should look:

+exec autoexec.cfg

...I'm showing this because in the article the space is not clearly shown between the +exec and the autoexec.cfg due to them being on separate lines in the paragraph.

To modify the launch icon, right click on the game's desktop icon, click Properties, and the line you need to modify is in the box where it says Target. Note that this will only work if you use the desktop icon to launch the game. This means you need to exit out of the autorun menu of the game that appears when loading the disc, and use the desktop icon instead. It's a lot simpler and quicker than remembering to type something in the console with each level load though.

If anyone has completed the game on Veteran and is looking for more of a challenge, you can disable the crosshair, compass, grenade and damage indicators, hints, and mesasages, simply by changing some of the values in the config file to "0". You can also do it via making an autoexec.cfg file, but if you copy your default cfg file and save it to another location first, it's just as good.

So far I've got the game looking pretty realistic, but am still trying to eliminate some of the onscreen indicators, like the friendly soldier names when you aim at them. If anyone can offer some further help on this I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-23-06 at 05:09 AM.
Frag Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 02:09 PM   #120
myshkinbob

First off, i just want to say thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback on the tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag Maniac

The picmips tweak you mentioned makes no sense to me. You start off saying using a textue setting of Extra (ie: 0) boosts fps, but in the tweak show both 0 and 2 values. I'm using an X800XT, and don't see ANY commands in the config file to do with multigpu or gpusync, so apparently those tweaks are not needed or even usable to ATI owners.

So, at this point I'm not understanding whether you are saying the setting itself, or changing it without a vid restart is actually doing the boosting? It appears to me it's the latter and is a result of the game being fooled by changing it without a vid restart, which may only work for Nvidia users as well. At any rate, if it's the way it's changed, rather than the setting itself, I can't see any practicality to doing that every time a level loads. If this is the case, adding +exec autoexec.cfg to the target line of the launch icon to automatically apply the settings would probably not do any good. I tend to wonder too if eventually this console changing method would have any adverse effects.
Thanks for the +exec shortcut info, i'll edit that into the original post.

Now regarding the picmip tweak. I didn't say setting picmip 0 alone will boost fps, but i did say setting 0 (extra) doesn't reduce framerate compared to the other settings, at least on my old 6800GT. Texture resolution doesn't seem to impact framerate on a powerful card, that was the point.

I am saying it's not the setting itself that makes a difference, but that applying the picmip setting after and without a vid_restart will boost fps.

I'll try to explain the tweak so it makes sense to you. Essentially, applying your picmip setting after the rest of the video settings have been initialised by the engine, appears to boost framerate. Without any visible loss of IQ either. Doing a vid_restart will initialise picmips in the default running order and you lose the tweak's boost. This is why the tweak has to be run after every map load. You're shifting picmip application to the last step in the video initialisation.

In order to re-apply your picmip value, you need to first change them. This is because r_applypicmip will only function if the r_picmip value is different to the active value. If it sees no change will be made by running the command, it won't run. So here's what the picmip tweak does....

First of all i assumed the desired picmip value is 0, extra texture resolution.

r_picmip 2
(change picmip value from the current one, so r_applypicmip will run)

r_applypicmip
(applies the tweak, r_applypicmip will run as the value above changed from the currently applied. We're now running at texture resolution below the desired level though...)

r_picmip 0
(Set our texture resolution back to the level we want, extra)

r_applypicmip
(apply the restored texture resolution)

That's it. Those four steps are required to run the tweak; first we change from chosen picmip to enable r_applypicmip to run, run it, then we change it back to the value we actually want. It's the only way to run r_applypicmip after map load.

Regarding how practical this tweak is, i'd say the proof is in the hundreds of other people who've verified an fps boost from it. That and nearly 100,000 views on this thread.

I can't comment on whether it works for ATI cards, but you could go through this thread and i expect find someone with an ATI card has tested it.

Edit:

I haven't gone through all the pages of this thread to check, so this may already be known. But i just re-installed COD2 and then patched it to version 1.2.

The picmip tweak isn't needed in version 1.2 of COD2. It seems they fixed whatever was broken and you get the fps boost without needing to run the tweak.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)

Last edited by myshkinbob; 04-23-06 at 02:49 PM.
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote