Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-05, 05:56 AM   #1
i.r-fool

Default which linux?

I hear there are so many linux os's out there, especialy ones that are questionable. i am thinking of trying linux out to see if its any good. are there any opinions as to what i should look for, like eg. i see there's many different companies or so that release their own linux. so should i try one of them, if so which one is best, or should i go for the one of the free ones?
i.r-fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 07:58 AM   #2
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Default Re: which linux?

Fedora Core is my favorite for noobs.
Linux is FREE.

Why the h would you pay.

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 10:55 AM   #3
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Mandriva, used to be Mandrake (www.mandrivalinux.com), is my first recommendation for a new linux user. Most say it is a pretty easy install.

I would recommend downloading the distros that the folks here recommend, and loading them one at a time, play with it a few days, and blow it away with the next distro. Each distro has something that appeals to a group of people. There really isn't the "best" distro IMHO, it is just what you like.

I have loaded a good twenty or so different distros over the years. I probably should do a comparison again to see how they all stand.

If you get fairly good with Linux and want to jump in head first, go with Gentoo (www.gentoo.org). I find it an excellent all around distro, but it is not for a new user. Start with a stage 2 install.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 01:33 PM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

IIRC RedHat (Fedora Core) is the most common Linux among the customers of my workplace's shipping products for Linux. We also use Fedora core for our server product (VMware ESX Server)

Then SuSE, then Mandriva. You can expect to find help on the web from just about any Linux, but the most common Linuxes have the most prevalent posting of problems, and the most widespread posting of solutions.

I find SuSE wonderful for their support of ThinkPads, but for nForce desktops, I choose Redhat
Old 10-30-05, 04:11 PM   #5
i.r-fool

I tried looking 4 drivers 4 my pc to go with linux, but I only found drivers for my display card (ATI). I couldnt find any linux drivers 4 my m/board (pf5 extreme) - is there any other place where one can find drivers for components 4 linux except from the manufacturers site?
i.r-fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 04:37 PM   #6
tabanus

If you just want to try Linux out first, you could do a lot worse than try Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which you run from a CD or DVD, and is based on Debian. Personally I use Gentoo, because of it's configurability and ease of updating, but it takes ages to install and fully set-up.
tabanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 05:23 PM   #7
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

I just recently moved to the most recent release of Ubuntu, and I have to say, I'm rather impressed. Very nice, and pretty easy to set up.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 09:30 PM   #8
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.r-fool
I tried looking 4 drivers 4 my pc to go with linux, but I only found drivers for my display card (ATI). I couldnt find any linux drivers 4 my m/board (pf5 extreme) - is there any other place where one can find drivers for components 4 linux except from the manufacturers site?
I know that Fedora carries a huge amount of drivers, you probably don't have to worry about that. Linux is very mature now.

Though an ATI card for Linux might not be a perfect fit.

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-05, 09:00 AM   #9
evilghost

Another vote for Ubuntu.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 10:22 PM   #10
retsam

Quote:
If you just want to try Linux out first, you could do a lot worse than try Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which you run from a CD or DVD, and is based on Debian. Personally I use Gentoo, because of it's configurability and ease of updating, but it takes ages to install and fully set-up.
knoppix...boots right from the cd...no formats no partitions...nothing ...just load and go ...great way to get your feet wet....
i use knoppix-std by the way .... its great if your into security...
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 08:23 AM   #11
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
knoppix...boots right from the cd...no formats no partitions...nothing ...just load and go ...great way to get your feet wet....
i use knoppix-std by the way .... its great if your into security...
Most of the newer distributions will also have a live CD version, like Knoppix. I know Ubuntu has one as well.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 01:26 PM   #12
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

I use Debian GNU/Linux sid myself, but from what I've heard, I'd recommend Ubuntu for people who are new to Linux. And just to start another war between Gnome/KDE, you may want to try Kubuntu as well.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote