Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-05, 12:16 PM   #25
angshuman
Pink GBA

Default Re: World of Warcraft 10-Day Trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
WoW is all about rushing to level 60 when the game really begins. At that point a world of opportunities are opened to you, and the focus of the game becomes gameplay, character equipment, character talent build, etc. based on your goals. The game up until level 60 is basically moot, something you won't realize until attaining level 60 (not a particularly hard task). Once you hit 60 the training wheels come off and it's all about learning to play your class effectively. You can do PvE raids, PvP, or both if you take the time to build up a couple of different equipment sets. Blizzard is always adding more end-game content as well. The majority of your time in a WoW career by far will be spent at level 60, unless you're the type who rerolls characters frequently.
That is *completely* the opposite of what I have heard from several other sources. What you have described is almost exactly what people generally feel about *GW* and I can see where they are coming from. I have read feedback from several people who have played WoW that say, that the entire game is basically about getting from 1 to 60. After lvl 60, there's basically nothing left to do. You're the first person I've who has had such a positive experience after lvl 60. That's great, I guess
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 12:23 PM   #26
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angshuman
After lvl 60, there's basically nothing left to do. You're the first person I've who has had such a positive experience after lvl 60. That's great, I guess
That's probably the most absurd thing I've ever heard about the game. I'm interested to know where you got this from - the whole point of WoW is to get to 60 so you can start gearing up and getting into the raid content with your guild, as well as pvping and various class quests. The grind from 1-60 is trivialized by endgame content.

And by the way, I'm certainly not in the minority. This is by far the concensus among WoW players. Whoever told you otherwise either never got to 60 or had no friends in the game.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 12:39 PM   #27
angshuman
Pink GBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
That's probably the most absurd thing I've ever heard about the game. I'm interested to know where you got this from - the whole point of WoW is to get to 60 so you can start gearing up and getting into the raid content with your guild, as well as pvping and various class quests. The grind from 1-60 is trivialized by endgame content.

And by the way, I'm certainly not in the minority. This is by far the concensus among WoW players. Whoever told you otherwise either never got to 60 or had no friends in the game.
Okay, okay, Ninjaman, I believe you!!! I think one of the places I read what I said above was on Gamespot's daily editorial (I think it's called Freeplay or something) which is probably why I gave it that much weightage. The other place was possibly on the Obsidian Entertainment forums.... anyway it doesn't matter.
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 12:47 PM   #28
jolle

man.. this is dangerous... danger.. right here..
on my first day of the beta I played more then 24 hours straight, when the beta was over I was "free" again.. by sheer stupidity on my part I narrowly avoided getting sucked in since I was gonna buy it, but hadnt preordered or booked it anywere, and so when I called around to stores asking if they had it, they just laughed at me when I said I hadnt preordered..

But I get flashbacks, really wierd things.. emotions and memories triggered totally at random or by things.. like a few weeks ago I had a cup of freeze dried coffey for the first time in ages, and it unlocked a flood of WoW beta memories hehe, apparantly I was drank alot of taht stuff during the beta..
Also playing Beyond Good & Evil brought back memories, they got a style resembling WoWs style there.. semi cartoonish look to things..

Anyhow, now there is a trial and its really threatening to pull me in.. cause if I start it, I WILL buy the game after its over.. damn..
Im not the type of MMO gamer that has to play efficiently and get leveled up and stuff as fast as they can.
To me the fun is the journey to the top, being there is just boring after a while, so I really savoured the enviroments and just roamed around at random to explore and stuff..
Old 11-15-05, 01:02 PM   #29
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Okay, okay, Ninjaman, I believe you!!! I think one of the places I read what I said above was on Gamespot's daily editorial (I think it's called Freeplay or something) which is probably why I gave it that much weightage. The other place was possibly on the Obsidian Entertainment forums.... anyway it doesn't matter.
LOL didn't mean to sound like I was yelling...but yeah the editorials and all that are usually written long before the authors get to the endgame. Of course the levelling in the game is still awesome, great dungeons, locales, etc. Questing can be a double-edged sword but for the most part is very rewarding and fun.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-15-05, 01:31 PM   #30
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
That is *completely* the opposite of what I have heard from several other sources. What you have described is almost exactly what people generally feel about *GW* and I can see where they are coming from. I have read feedback from several people who have played WoW that say, that the entire game is basically about getting from 1 to 60. After lvl 60, there's basically nothing left to do. You're the first person I've who has had such a positive experience after lvl 60. That's great, I guess
Ninja and I have both played this game a lot and there is plenty to do after 60. Check your sources because they are wrong. Good luck getting into BWL, MC, Ony if you are not 60. With the cap lvl being raised to 70 in june and more content being relased next patch your sources are spreading FUD or are a alliance player still trying to find Razorfin Downs.

The next patch alone is releasing a 40 man instance and a 20 man instance.

As you can tell I came into this discussion late so ignore me.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 01:46 PM   #31
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Not bad. I made an Undead Priest named Wormfeast and got him to level 5.
I have to say that I like the eq in GuildWars a little better (I havn't found anything that increases mana etc.), but I don't know anything about how the world is balanced yet. Gameplay seems allright. Easy enough to figure out for the first time. Quests being "written" was kind of annoying because I can read faster than that. I don't see what the big deal about the game is though, but maybe I need to play to L60 or something.

Almost forgot a performance comment...
It seemed to run nice and smooth here using 81.94. I was playing at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8xAF, Vsync+TB, HQ, with all game settings cranked and I didn't get a single hitch. It looked pretty cool with the "Texture Smoothing" setting on, IMO.
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 02:08 PM   #32
Tr1cK
not coming back

Level 60 shaman here, and all I can say is I have had more fun at 60 than getting there. My guild has scheduled Molten Core, Zul'Gurub and Onyxia runs. We also do farming runs to gear ourselves up or just go PvP. I am working a rogue up the levels now in between instance runs. Anybody that thinks the game is over at 60 probably hasn't raided much, if at all. They also probably haven't played but one race or class. Each class is a different experience. I'm glad those people quit after 60...less idiots is always a nice thing.

TierMann: You haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg at level 5. I would say 40 is where the game really starts at. You get mounts at 40, many classes get their better abilities such as wearing upgraded armor types, and class balance comes more into play.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-05, 02:17 PM   #33
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierMann
Not bad. I made an Undead Priest named Wormfeast and got him to level 5.
I have to say that I like the eq in GuildWars a little better (I havn't found anything that increases mana etc.)
That will end after about level 10 or so. The game is extremely gear-oriented and all gear is focused on adding to your statistics and abilities, in fact arguably the entire point of the endgame is to optimize your gear for PvE and PvP. For example my Human Priest has a rare item called Robes of the Lich that adds 20 to my Stamina (200 HP) and 10 to my Intellect (150 Mana), amongst many other items. All told I get about +113 to Int, +108 to Spirit, and +86 to Stamina with my current gear at level 44.
Quote:
Quests being "written" was kind of annoying because I can read faster than that.
There is an option to turn quest text to "instant" in the interface menu. In addition the entire user interface is customizable with addons.
Quote:
I don't see what the big deal about the game is though, but maybe I need to play to L60 or something.
Dude...you played a character to level 5. I can do that in about 10 minutes (seriously). You haven't even scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. You haven't needed to group up to finish a quest yet, you haven't seen any of the other locations in the world, and you haven't been to any of the dungeons. You haven't started a profession yet. You have not even seen the talent tree for your class yet because level 10 is when you first start getting your talent points. You have not participated in either world PvP or Battlegrounds. You have not joined a guild. Basically you've turned the game on and looked around for a bit.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-15-05, 02:23 PM   #34
Tr1cK
not coming back

Ninja, you the man. I typically concur with you on everything.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 02:36 PM   #35
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Heh, thanks! Same to you.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-15-05, 02:41 PM   #36
MrSavoy

Well for me I was always anti MMO kinda guy, that is untill I started playing SWG a year and a half ago. I played pretty hard core, got my full template jedi last feburary and such. It was my first MMO. Since SOE/LA are ****ing up the game again and this time for good I've decided to get into WOW since alot of friends from swg have jumped ship since wow laucnhed last Nov. Now especially I will probably be cancelling my SWG account and moving to wow full time. I still play alot of other games, most notably FPS's but WOW has me hooked.
I tried the trial for a few days and went and bought it on sunday. This game is what a MMO should be and is a blast to play. Alot of people from my SWG guild have come over with me and so were on TS every night playing wow.

All in all I'm very impressed with everything in the game and highly recomend to any gamer to give it a shot, its that good imo. Oh and I play it all maxed out at 1280x1024 and the game runs flawless.
3x EVGA, GeForce GTX 470's Superclocked (TRI-SLI) / 2x WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) (Raid 0) / LITE-ON CD-R/CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive / SAMSUNG DVD R/RW / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Westy 37" 1080P
MrSavoy is offline   Reply With Quote