Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-05, 03:31 PM   #37
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: World of Warcraft 10-Day Trial

Playing a charater to lvl 5 is basically solo grinding. Nothing gets going till you hit your first instance. BFD hooked me big time. When you get into more complex quests it gets fun. Also at lvl 10 you get your first talent point.

WRT to being at lvl 40, this is true. Most people don't realize what their roll is until lvl 45 or so. Most warriors have no clue how to tank until they get into a UBRS.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 10:43 PM   #38
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

I've had the game since launch. I have had a 60 mage, 60 Priest, 46shaman and I handful of lvl 20-30's. My take of this game...

The game does tend to get stale at 60 but then I'm the type of person to get bored of doing the same instance over and over. Usually after the 2nd or 3rd time I'm already bored to death of that particular instance. Trades unfortunaly are just shallow, no depth to them. Also I think the lack in gear design and character design is kind of disappointing. Every one running around looking the same, plenty of epics looking like the green counterparts, just blah..

BG imo ruined one of the best aspects of the game, town raids. They just don't happen anymore especially with the BG zone entrances now in place in the capital cities. I know from chatting around a lot of people miss this aspect of the game. Again, like instances BG just becomes boring.

I do think there is a bit of balancing issues also and more so with patch 1.8. I'm really not sure in which direction Bliz is going when they tend to buff/debuff the classes.

Those above issues are just minor quirks though and mostly my own issues with the game. My main complaint is, I would say the entire game base is full of self absorbed rejects. It's safe to say most of them being inpatient, disrespectful, anti-socialable kids. It's probably the biggest downfall and turnoff about the game.

That being said it still however is one of the best experinces I have ever had playing a video game. It's diffently one of the top 3 of all time best games I have played and strung me along for nearly a year. The world is just beautiful with music to match. Just truely a great atmosphere and I'd certainly recommend anyone to play this gem. I'd also recommend(I wish I would have rolled my mains on there) is if you'r looking for a bit more mature crowd roll on a rp-pvp server. Although it has it's idiots, it tends to be of a better experience.
Old 11-16-05, 12:03 AM   #39
MrSavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
I've had the game since launch. I have had a 60 mage, 60 Priest, 46shaman and I handful of lvl 20-30's. My take of this game...

The game does tend to get stale at 60 but then I'm the type of person to get bored of doing the same instance over and over. Usually after the 2nd or 3rd time I'm already bored to death of that particular instance. Trades unfortunaly are just shallow, no depth to them. Also I think the lack in gear design and character design is kind of disappointing. Every one running around looking the same, plenty of epics looking like the green counterparts, just blah..

BG imo ruined one of the best aspects of the game, town raids. They just don't happen anymore especially with the BG zone entrances now in place in the capital cities. I know from chatting around a lot of people miss this aspect of the game. Again, like instances BG just becomes boring.

I do think there is a bit of balancing issues also and more so with patch 1.8. I'm really not sure in which direction Bliz is going when they tend to buff/debuff the classes.

Those above issues are just minor quirks though and mostly my own issues with the game. My main complaint is, I would say the entire game base is full of self absorbed rejects. It's safe to say most of them being inpatient, disrespectful, anti-socialable kids. It's probably the biggest downfall and turnoff about the game.

That being said it still however is one of the best experinces I have ever had playing a video game. It's diffently one of the top 3 of all time best games I have played and strung me along for nearly a year. The world is just beautiful with music to match. Just truely a great atmosphere and I'd certainly recommend anyone to play this gem. I'd also recommend(I wish I would have rolled my mains on there) is if you'r looking for a bit more mature crowd roll on a rp-pvp server. Although it has it's idiots, it tends to be of a better experience.
Thanks for the heads up.
3x EVGA, GeForce GTX 470's Superclocked (TRI-SLI) / 2x WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) (Raid 0) / LITE-ON CD-R/CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive / SAMSUNG DVD R/RW / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Westy 37" 1080P
MrSavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 01:38 PM   #40
fugu_fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
WoW is all about rushing to level 60 when the game really begins. At that point a world of opportunities are opened to you, and the focus of the game becomes gameplay, character equipment, character talent build, etc. based on your goals. The game up until level 60 is basically moot, something you won't realize until attaining level 60 (not a particularly hard task). Once you hit 60 the training wheels come off and it's all about learning to play your class effectively. You can do PvE raids, PvP, or both if you take the time to build up a couple of different equipment sets. Blizzard is always adding more end-game content as well. The majority of your time in a WoW career by far will be spent at level 60, unless you're the type who rerolls characters frequently.

Sure, sure...of course it helps to have played WoW PvP to make the comparison.
For me the game ended at level 60. At least the fun factor did. The game has been reduced to endless instance grinding for purple gear. Log in, get an invite, wait an hour to get organized, listen to inane chatter on Ventrilo. Spam Shadowbolts, drink crystal water, rinse, repeat. Take down bosses, Yes LEWT! Epix! A small chance that something class specific might drop, but oh wait, then the DKP system comes into play. That's where the pasty white guy in his parent's basement with unlimited play time racks up huge DKP and outbids me for everything. Or even worse, we wipe and the blame game starts. 4-6 hrs. later I come away with nothing but 1-2G repair costs. Not fun.

PvP was fun at first, too. But the queue times are usually 35 minutes to an hour+. Again, it turns into grinding for honor points to get better gear to grind more, ad nauseum.

I've had the game for almost a year and have had a great time but lately as I've logged in, I find myself staring at the screen and realizing that I just don't like it anymore.

|Antec 900/GB X58A-UD3R|i7-930 @3.6|6GB OCZ|Corsair TX850|Hannspree HF289H 28" monitor |GB GTX460 SLI|Xonar DX|Seagate Hybrid 500GB| WD6400AAKS 640GB/SG 320GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB |Samsung SH-203B |Windows 7 Pro x64 |Sennheiser HD-280
fugu_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 01:41 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu_fish
For me the game ended at level 60. At least the fun factor did. The game has been reduced to endless instance grinding for purple gear. Log in, get an invite, wait an hour to get organized, listen to inane chatter on Ventrilo. Spam Shadowbolts, drink crystal water, rinse, repeat. Take down bosses, Yes LEWT! Epix! A small chance that something class specific might drop, but oh wait, then the DKP system comes into play. That's where the pasty white guy in his parent's basement with unlimited play time racks up huge DKP and outbids me for everything. Or even worse, we wipe and the blame game starts. 4-6 hrs. later I come away with nothing but 1-2G repair costs. Not fun.
We get our runs organized fast because we schedule them ahead of time, and we do not use a DKP system, rather we use a weighted dice system, which is much more fair for everyone involved. And of course all you're talking about is an MC raid which constitutes about 1% of what you can do at endgame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu_fish
PvP was fun at first, too. But the queue times are usually 35 minutes to an hour+. Again, it turns into grinding for honor points to get better gear to grind more, ad nauseum.

I've had the game for almost a year and have had a great time but lately as I've logged in, I find myself staring at the screen and realizing that I just don't like it anymore.
Well a year of frequently playing any game will burn you out. I had to take several 2-3 month breaks myself.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 01:45 PM   #42
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:

Remember that many of the epic setpieces are still with placeholder art - the next patch is supposed to update them. Other than that yeah the game can get a little stale after many hundreds of hours.
Quote:
I've heard a lot of people say this too, and I agree - I miss town raids. In fact, people actively avoid doing them because if you kill NPCs in towns you get dishonorable kills which will ruin your ranking.
Quote:
Honestly this probably has more to do with the realm you pick than anything else. I've had primarily positive experiences with people on Gilneas and Mannoroth.
Quote:
I should try rolling on a RP server, just to see how it is.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-16-05, 02:28 PM   #43
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Yes, I took a few months off also. You know what, there just isn't a game that compares to this game. I tried many(bf2, CofV, etc) over the last couple of months and.....boring.

To be fair, my mains are cloth, and imo cloth/casters are just getting the shaft right now. We just don't scale well at all and or only way really to do more damage at 60 is get a couple of epic trinkets and such. Which in reality is a rarity for most casters. Going the +damage route is also a joke because you lose all you stats. Instead of being 2 hitted, I'll be 1 hitted lol. Even with the better gear you obtain there just doesn't seem to be a happy medium and the scaling is next to none. You'll see the mages getting a 3000hit here and there but its so rare and uber epics and with those power boosts from the BG.

I did roll a warrior on one of the new PVP servers, got him up to lvl 22, blacksmithing 150 but I think I'm going to dump him. I rerolled a warrior(only lvl 6 right now lol) on one of the new rp-pvp servers and really, what a difference. Such a joy. I havent seen any BS on general chat, people come up and just give you armor packs, everyone seems helpful and not a smartass. I guess if you can get past the "geeky" rp sterotype I think this is the way to go. Personally I'm going to stick to this server, see where the mage class goes and just take my time and may even rp a bit.
Old 11-16-05, 02:31 PM   #44
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Yes, I took a few months off also. You know what, there just isn't a game that compares to this game. I tried many(bf2, CofV, etc) over the last couple of months and.....boring.
I know man I'm having the same problem - I just keep coming back to WoW. It's just so damn good.
Quote:
To be far, my mains are cloth and imo cloth/caters are just getting the shaft right now. We just don't scale well at all and or only ways really to do more damage at 60 is get a couple of epic trinkets and such. Which in all reality is a rarity for most casters. Going the +damage route is also a joke because you lose all you stats. Instead of being 2 hitted, I'll be 1 hitted lol. Even with the better gear you obtain there just doesn't seem to be a happy medium and the scaling is next to none. You'll see the mages getting a 3000hit here and there but its so rare and uber epics and with those power boosts from the BG.
Agreed, hopefully Blizzard will address this.
Quote:
I did roll a warrior on one of the new PVP servers, got him up to lvl 22, blacksmithing 150 but I think I'm going to dump him. I rerolled a warrior(only lvl 6 right now lol) on one of the new rp-pvp servers and really, what a difference. Such a joy. I havent seen any BS on general chat, people come up and just give you armor packs, everyone seems helpful and not a smartass. I guess if you can get past the "geeky" rp sterotype I think this is the way to go. Personally I'm going to stick to this server, see where the mage class goes and just take my time and may even rp a bit.
Yeah I'm going to give that a try, you've sold me on it.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 11-16-05, 05:51 PM   #45
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Dude...you played a character to level 5. I can do that in about 10 minutes (seriously). You haven't even scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. You haven't needed to group up to finish a quest yet, you haven't seen any of the other locations in the world, and you haven't been to any of the dungeons. You haven't started a profession yet. You have not even seen the talent tree for your class yet because level 10 is when you first start getting your talent points. You have not participated in either world PvP or Battlegrounds. You have not joined a guild. Basically you've turned the game on and looked around for a bit.
Yeah.. pretty much. But when the free trial is capped at L20 there isn't much else I CAN do :P.

For anyone who had questions... It looks like this is the full install (autorun.inf included). It also has a 250mb patch to v1.8.0 included. When you sign up you pick a package and need to provide a credit card incase you decide to continue playing/ upgrade your "guest pass" to a full account. So it doesn't look like you'll have to purchase the game at all.
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 06:10 PM   #46
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierMann
Yeah.. pretty much. But when the free trial is capped at L20 there isn't much else I CAN do :P.

For anyone who had questions... It looks like this is the full install (autorun.inf included). It also has a 250mb patch to v1.8.0 included. When you sign up you pick a package and need to provide a credit card incase you decide to continue playing/ upgrade your "guest pass" to a full account. So it doesn't look like you'll have to purchase the game at all.
That's complete BS if it's true.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you ~$40 as the first payment.

EDIT: And I used my friend's 10 day trial from his CE and they said that, in order to continue, I would have to purchase a real version of the game and enter that serial into it. I assume they use the same kind of serials for this since they’re limited to 10 days, but maybe they’ve changed.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 06:35 PM   #47
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
That's complete BS if it's true.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you ~$40 as the first payment.

EDIT: And I used my friend's 10 day trial from his CE and they said that, in order to continue, I would have to purchase a real version of the game and enter that serial into it. I assume they use the same kind of serials for this since they’re limited to 10 days, but maybe they’ve changed.
Yup. It is BS. I just logged in to edit my account and you need to put in a retail key to upgrade. There's nothing about that mentioned during registration and they completely make it sound like you don't need to purchase anything besides the monthly charge. That's bull too then that they need a CC just for the trial. Kinda pointless though since the download is a full install, so you're just paying ~$40-50 for a cardboard box and a sticker.
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 06:39 PM   #48
slick
Play with conviction.

On the page where it gives you the key for the 10-day trial there is a little blurb in the bottom right corner reading...

Quote:
Note that to create a World of Warcraft trial account, a credit card is required for verification purposes only. Your card will not be charged. If you wish to continue playing after the trial you will need to purchase a retail copy of the game.
Oh well.