Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-05, 01:34 PM   #25
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Vista and OpenGL

Dante: That's not quite true. I've installed a recent Distro of Linux on my desktop AND my notebook, and even though I've found it pretty good on both, I've still not managed to get ACPI working on my notebook, which incidentally allows both the fans and the soundcard to work at all, and getting dual monitors working on my desktop required hacking around in Xorg. I shouldn't need to 'fight' or ever enter text files to get these things to work, and under Windows, I wouldn't. I'm not saying Windows is better - far from it. Linux is MILES ahead of when I last gave it a real shot. Nevertheless, it still isn't as easy to set up as Windows. Still, I feel that it will eventually get there - appget under Ubuntu is just superb.

EDIT: Incidentally, I agree - it's hardware manufacturers that are the significan't problem for Linux progress at the moment, and if it weren't for games, I'd give Linux a shot as a full time OS.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 04:54 PM   #26
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante_uk
The bigger picture is worse:
M$ Vista cripples OpenGL.
No one writes OpenGL engines any more.
No games get ported to Linux(or Mac).
Linux's hope of being a Home OS for the family dies.
Alot of the OpenGL supporting games also have D3d renderers as default on Windows.. like Unreal games and World of Warcraft, so that wont really change.
And the rest, the native OpenGL games, like Doom III for example, will ONLY be affected if you decide to run them in WINDOWED mode, that can also be resolved by disabling the 3d accelerated desktop, if you absolutley have to play in Windowed mode.
When it comes to pro apps, like 3d Studio max, you can either run it in D3D9 mode, or again, disable the 3d accelerated desktop.

The problem that occurs (as has been explained before) is that the Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM) has included some bits about sharing the GPU over a number of applications, so the driver can juggle the desktop, and what other windowed D3d apps you may choose to run at the same time (Prolly geared mainly at apps using the Avalon API to run realtime 3d stuff, like the demo with game boxes you could flip around and stuff).
However it doesnt include sharing the GPU over 2 different APIs simultainiously..

So the Options are:
Run FullScreen OpenGL.
Run Windowed, but then wrapped by D3d (to retain the "multitasking ability" thing), ofcource slower and limited to 1.5 was it?.
Disable The D3d accelerated desktop and run Windowed OpenGL.

Other features of the LDDM is less CPU usage, less latancy as the hardware and driver is more selfreliant and not so controlled by CPU and OS.
Validating commands for increased stability (OpenGL does this), but in hardware, without adding stress to CPU..
Well Im mainly quoting from this article here, might aswell read it yourselves.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/longhorn.html
The LDDM combined with improved APIs such as first D3D9.L(WGF1.0) and then DX10 (WGf2.0), sounds very promising.
OpenGL should be able to benefit by the more efficient drivermodel aswell.
Old 11-20-05, 05:21 PM   #27
Rakeesh

one of the first things I do when I install XP is right click my computer > properties > advanced > performance > settings > adjust for best performance > ok

I leave the two pane start menu intact, but I honestly don't really care for brightly colored windows and rounded edges - in fact I prefer not to have them.

Also, the window fades and open delays are crap - I get rid of those too. The only thing I kinda like is the mouse shadow, but then I never look at the cursor so I just leave it off.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:44 AM   #28
jolle

hehe, I run the Silver colored theme (without background) for about a week after a reformat, then go back to Windows classic and set everything to "Performance".

Ive tried downloading themes and stuff, cant seem to stick with them for more then a week usually.. end up with windows classic in the end..
If Vista offers the "windows classic" look, but drawn by GPU, and that in the end means a bit more snappy Windows, Im there.
Old 11-21-05, 12:28 PM   #29
Rakeesh

BTW, when most of you say classic, are you referring to the one pane vs two pane start menu?

Or are you referring to the folders being in classic mode? Honesly I don't know how you can possibly be more productive with folders in non-classic mode. The new mode actually hides stuff from you and requires more steps to get to navigate to where you want to go.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 11-21-05, 01:45 PM   #30
alucard_x

he's referring to the Windows GUI without any skinning. ie. looks like Windows 2000.
alucard_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 03:59 PM   #31
jolle

yeah, unskinned.
I keep the XP startmenu, dont really use it often enough to care either way.
got all my apps and games in "Toolbars" shorted down so it sais "Programs >>" and clicking it opens a list of shortcuts..
Old 11-21-05, 09:21 PM   #32
Rakeesh

Hmm...how would turning skins on increase productivity?

Old 11-22-05, 03:40 AM   #33
jolle

who said anything about productivity?
What are we? sweatshop workers? hehe..
I just turn it off cause it seems to speed things up slightly to do so, specially when unloading heavy games like BF2..

Dunno what you mean with the folders, I just hit Windows+E and get the explorer going, removed all the "Remember settings for each dir" and have all dirs list with "Detailes" sorting so I get the small icons listed top to bottom with size and all that..