Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-05, 04:48 AM   #25
Belarnion
Crazy Scientist

Default Re: Brand new 7800GT on A64 3500+ can't run AOEIII on "Very High" - What's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
(...)fully smooth, and by fully smooth, I mean an average of 40fps or higher.(...)
Ehm.
40fps on average is smooth? Eh... no way.
40fps on average probably means minimum fps in the area of 25-30fps?
That would physically hurt my eyes.

I would consider smooth to be minimum fps in the area of 60fps. This is roughly 100fps on average.

In AoE3 that would translate to me running the game on
Vsync: on
Shader Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Low
Water Reflections: [yes]
Bloom Effects: [yes]
High-Poly Models: [no]
Terrain detail objects: [yes]
Particle Quality: Normal

4xAA
1600x1200

I have 2x 7800GT in SLI. With these settings I run the game above 60fps 98% of the time.
This game is *really* demanding
Belarnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 09:32 AM   #26
faraday

Default Re: Brand new 7800GT on A64 3500+ can't run AOEIII on "Very High" - What's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream
Ah touche.

It would appear Wookies don't in fact live on Endor.
Ewoks live on Endor ... Wookies in Kashyyyk
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 10:12 AM   #27
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarnion
Ehm.
40fps on average is smooth? Eh... no way.
40fps on average probably means minimum fps in the area of 25-30fps?
That would physically hurt my eyes.

I would consider smooth to be minimum fps in the area of 60fps. This is roughly 100fps on average.

In AoE3 that would translate to me running the game on
Vsync: on
Shader Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Low
Water Reflections: [yes]
Bloom Effects: [yes]
High-Poly Models: [no]
Terrain detail objects: [yes]
Particle Quality: Normal

4xAA
1600x1200

I have 2x 7800GT in SLI. With these settings I run the game above 60fps 98% of the time.
This game is *really* demanding

If you need 60fps min for a freaking RTS game you need to re-introduce your head to the wall and hope it undoes the damage it did the first time.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 11:17 AM   #28
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Quote:
If you need 60fps min for a freaking RTS game you need to re-introduce your head to the wall and hope it undoes the damage it did the first time.
I agree, in a somewhat less violent way..

I can understand some people not coping with the fps dipping to 25-30 in some areas like it does on mine in FEAR in very intense scenes, so minimum fps at like 25-27 in some cases. But considering 60fps "minimum fps" smooth? 100fps average?

Honestly, I feel sorry for you that you have so much bigger demands. You're still gonna play the same game as me and probably gonna have the same experience that I do with your super demanding "eyes", except for the fact that I don't need to spend a buckload of cash for my needs.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 11:18 AM   #29
Belarnion
Crazy Scientist

I don't "need" min 60fps as in "It's impossible for me to beat anyone if I don't maintain 60fps all the time"

It's more "need" as in
1: "If I don't use Vsync, I can see tearing. Tearing is horrible. Gah, I hate tearing".
2: "If I turn on Vsync I have to stay above 60fps all the time. If I don't, the fps will drop to 40fps. My monitor only supports 60Hz with this videocard."
3: "You can easily see that 40fps is not smooth. If you don't see that, something is probably wrong with you, or you have played around with a too weak videocard for too long."
(Not trying to jump on someones toes here, just trying to make you see how I see it )

To test the last statement, download and run fraps.
Find a scene and graphics setting that gives you as close to min 40fps as possible. Preferably with Vsync on. Save the game. Scroll around the map, play for a while. Feel how 40fps feels like.

Next:
Load the saved game. Decrease your video settings so that you get about 60fps in the areas you got about 40fps the last time. Again preferably with Vsync on. Scroll around the map, play for a while. Feel how 60fps feels like.

Now:
Was there any difference between 40fps and 60fps? If no: Hmmmm... really? You're lucky.
If yes: Did the game feel much smoother=better?

I'd sacrifice IQ for 60fps any day. Sorry.
Which also means: No consoles for me.

Edit:
MustangSVT:
IMO "smooth" is when you have so many fps that increasing the fps would be hard to notice. To me that limit is close to 60fps. I can see a difference between 60fps and 100fps. You can probably too. If you dare to try. Just don't get hooked on high performance. It's expensive. If the world was perfect I would run all games with more than 100fps all the time.

My demands are big. I totally agree. But I hardly think they're unreasonable. And I do not have "super demanding eyes". I'm just used to "super high performance". And if that's expensive, so be it.
If you think the experience will be the same with your rig compared to mine, you should try gaming on mine. I can promise the difference will be *very* noticeable.
Belarnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 05:54 AM   #30
Xophile

I agree with you Belarnion!

I also prefer around 60FPS (which I more than get when using the High shader and not the Very high). I haven't tried disabling high poly models yet but will do it tonight.

I just thought (and hoped) my 7800GT would manage this game a bit better...
Xophile is offline   Reply With Quote