Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-05, 08:03 PM   #13
Q

Default Re: Pop-ups

It's more than likely spyware that responds to keywords found in certain webpages. There are numerous apps that have this tendency, and its likely that NVnews just has some of the words that trigger the popups.

Run Adaware, Spybot, and MSAntiSpyware all in safemode along with your virus scanner. Make sure you have System Restore turned off before entering safemode. Remove anything that these pick up and then reboot and come to NVnews. I can almost guarentee you that you won't see the first popup.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 08:29 PM   #14
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
mmmm no more stupid green mouseover links in the posts.
And hopefully you send money to Mike to help pay for the site.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 10:52 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Firefox+adblock people!!!!

mmmm no more stupid green mouseover links in the posts.
Firefox == too slow.

If it was any faster I would use it. I have installed and uninstalled it soooo many times.

Like I said, with the appropriate precautions, the ads should just not appear.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 11:02 PM   #16
Clay

Firefox is slow? That has never been the case for me or anyone I know that uses it. Opera can be a bit snappier at times but IE always seems slower to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Like I said, with the appropriate precautions, the ads should just not appear.
Very true, now take those precautions by getting that malware off your rig.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 11:18 PM   #17
Son Goku

Well a good Adaware or Spybot scan never did a comp any harm; just to make sure an all...

That said, popup blocker programs and the like only work for so long it seems before adware developers find a means to circumvent them. I used to use Proxomitron, which was a freeware web proxy one could install on their PC that kept these undesireable things outa the pages.

Back in it's day it used to work great (even though the user interface could have been better...but hey it was free) and nothing, and I do mean nothing seemed to get through it. Then this year (it's an abandoned project and hasn't been developed for over a year now) I started noticing some ads get through. Ad developers can develop their software to circumvent blocking software, just as anyone else can. An update to your ad blocking might be in order from time to time. Flash ads had become the worst for me of late...

Now I'm using Donzilla (a variant based off the Mozilla code base) which includes the ad blocker plugin with a bunch of other stuff. Only thing is adding some plugins (like flash) and the content doesn't show in the pages even when I want, though the plugin is in place.

And yes, Mozilla and Firefox take longer to load into memory (the splash screen displaying a bit before it loads for instance), but once loaded not sure if it's too much slower... IE on the other hand probably doesn't have to load the entire program, as it's integrated into other parts of Windows now, and some parts of it are probably running in memory at all times
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 02:40 AM   #18
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Firefox is slow? That has never been the case for me or anyone I know that uses it. Opera can be a bit snappier at times but IE always seems slower to me.
Must be my system.

Quote:
Very true, now take those precautions by getting that malware off your rig.
As the other 2 or 3 threads on this matter have proven, malware on systems is NOT the problem.
Old 12-11-05, 02:42 AM   #19
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Firefox is bloody fast. Much faster than IE was (and IE was fast for me) when you run Firetune.
Haven't used firetune. I am just not a big fan of firefox because it is slow to load for me.

IE all around is just snappier and I am used to it.

Considering the vast majority of all users on the internet use IE, the solution to this problem, if it does stem from this site, should not be to switch.
Old 12-11-05, 02:17 PM   #20
retsam

Quote:
Haven't used firetune. I am just not a big fan of firefox because it is slow to load for me.
firetune fixes all of that stuff...i have found that firefox is as fast if not faster then IE...
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-05, 02:34 PM   #21
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yea, Firefox is faster for me by default, and especially if I use Firetune.
Old 12-13-05, 12:32 PM   #22
Elvin Presler

Just curious, what is all the Java Scripting for here? EVERY click here want's to run Java script. Blocking it doesn't seem to break anything. EDIT: Ah, it sends me to pricegrabber for ads, and more java, for more ads, etc. Once I allow nvnews.net java to run, pricegrabber java starts to run, and if I allow pricegrabber.........

......Also I found when I was getting my hijacking popups here, there was always a Java script called iframe2 in my temporary internet folder that had a boatload of references to the scum site h++p://www.zedo.com/. I think they are the bastages doing the hijacking after this site loads up their malware java via ad banners or whatever.

Who is Vibrant Media at h++p://intellitxt.com/site2005/index.html (ad server?)? They are the ones your java is aiming at? (EDIT: Ah, these must be the turkeys who track and spy on us then create those annoying links all through the text here!)

I'm just trying to understand why when I come to nvnews.net with a pristine, clean cache, I instantly have temp internet files full of java scripts from zedo.com and scripts from intellitxt on EVERY click and who knows what all trying to run and redirect and popup and hijack....AAaaaaAAARGH!

Don't get me wrong, most other sites are worse and try to run java from like 3-6 other domains. When I go to h++p://whatever.com, I don't want to go secretly to anywhere else, or anything from any other domain being secretly loaded, downloaded, redirected, whatever.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 01:34 PM   #23
Elvin Presler

No ad server? What do you call this then?

About Vibrant Media

Vibrant Media is uniquely positioned at the junction of advertising and online publishing. For over 5 years its suite of contextual advertising solutions have been pioneering some of the most intelligent and forward-thinking developments online.

With offices in San Francisco, London and New York, Vibrant Media enables its International Network of leading web publishers and advertisers to realize the value of contextual relevancy by connecting users, advertisers, and web publishers to drive a more organic and therefore fulfilling online experience.

About Our Products

Advertising has changed. By embracing this change Vibrant Media’s solutions have improved the way businesses communicate with their customers online.

In the past web publishers have had to struggle to generate sufficient revenue from the content they produce online. We have solved this problem by working directly with the web publishers to increase the effectiveness of the advertising relationships and maximize their revenue potential. The result? Publishers are now able to realize the true value of their content. Learn more…

Currently users are forced to wade through a sea of irrelevant and potentially intrusive advertising messages. As a business we understand that the most effective advertising reaches the right customer at the right time, driving the most positive marketing relationship possible for advertisers and their customers. This in turn leads to high conversion rates and increased sales. Learn more…

Our suite of contextual advertising solutions focuses on relevancy, convenience, empowering users to initiate their own online experience.

Translation. "We use java and cookies to spy on your visitors for you, then spam ads all through your web site in the form of annoying links that may get clicked on by accident and create popup sumary text when their mouse accidentally passes over that blocks the text on your site so your visitors can't even read what they came for anymore!"
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 08:32 PM   #24
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
Just curious, what is all the Java Scripting for here? EVERY click here want's to run Java script. Blocking it doesn't seem to break anything. EDIT: Ah, it sends me to pricegrabber for ads, and more java, for more ads, etc. Once I allow nvnews.net java to run, pricegrabber java starts to run, and if I allow pricegrabber.........
Java <> Javascript...two completely different languages. No Java applets are running here. Javascript? Yes, along with 500 million other websites as you correctly stated. Whatever is going on with some of you is no doing of ours. Along with many others, I have no such popups, no junk in my cache from zedo.com, etc. What does that tell us?
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote