Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-05, 04:23 AM   #49
Elvin Presler

Default Re: Browser Hijacking Popups From Here...

- The URL the pop-up is originating from - No. I don't touch popups in any way (not even a mouse over). I ALT+F4 them and the whole browser usually. Most of the time it's flash or some other nonsense to hide it anyway.

- A privacy report (provided by the browser) - I don't know about that one. Hard to get anything off a flash ad.

- Attach a screenshot of the pop-up - This I will do.

- Always ask for cookies
- Do not accept 3rd party cookies
- Update security settings to disable or ask to be prompted (ActiveX controls, scripts, etc.)

All done, a long time ago. It's part of the Windows install as far as I'm concerned.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 11:37 PM   #50
ninelven

Quote:
Yes. It can't. I make it completely offline. That is the whole point in it.
That doesn't mean anything. Was the original software (XP Pro) from an MS CD or OEM?

Also, as paranoid as you seem to be about security and as much complaining as you've done over this, why don't you just use a HOSTS file?

http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
ninelven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 12:31 AM   #51
Elvin Presler

I do.
Old 11-29-05, 01:39 AM   #52
ninelven

Quote:
I do.
Then I would get a better one, or it is getting hijacked.

You still didn't answer where your image file came from. Unless the install was from an MS cd there is no way to be certain that the image is spyware/malware/virus free. Also, software installed from offline sources can contain malicious content just as easily.

To me, this sounds like a virus or malware. I would perform a full system scan with your antivirus before windows loads up. Use either Avast or NOD32. One is freeware and the other has a trial, so there is no reason not too.

You might also consider running peerguardian2, viewing the allowed connections, looking up the ip, and then blocking the entire range for whoever it belongs too. Even if your system is still infected, it won't be able to access their servers.

Personally, I would just format and reinstall from the MS cd.
ninelven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 03:50 AM   #53
Elvin Presler

It's an official, retail Windows CD. The same one I've been using for years. All the apps I install with Windows are clean and stored on my backup drive or CDs, not downloaded. Stuff I've used for years like Winrar, Nero, Powerquest Drive Image, Spybot - Search & Destroy, etc. I don't use any download managers, screen savers, codec packs, media players or freeware junk like that that is risky. About the most risky thing I install is Quicktime, and I even have the stand alone offline installer for that.

My system IS NOT infected. It simply can't be (couldn't at the time anyway). I have scanned it for good measure though. Again, I have no problems at all any more (same Windows install), not even from this site in about 3 days. If there was anything undesirable on my system the popups would continue, here and elsewhere. They have not. Spyware doesn't just go away by itself...but bad banner ads, java script, cookies or whatever do...and apparently did.
Old 11-29-05, 03:58 AM   #54
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I think it is just related to one of the ads that is on this site. Increase your security settings and it should deal with it.

I have received the same popups as you took screens of and again the common denominator is this site. However this site itself is not the problem, the launches are related to one of the ads as far as I can tell. Mike said he does not use an ad-server so I am at a loss to explain it, but the pop-ups have not returned in about 6 days so something is working
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 02:21 PM   #55
Elvin Presler

Agreed. I did get a PM from Mike about it. Very friendly and he was looking into it, so I want to thank him for that. I don't want to come across like I am bashing him or the site, it's one of the few remaining sites I consider safe, and even...useful.

I just brought it up because I figured he or whoever polices the site might want to know. I don't like to block all ads on good sites like this...but it was becoming necessary.
Old 11-29-05, 03:13 PM   #56
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
Agreed. I did get a PM from Mike about it. Very friendly and he was looking into it, so I want to thank him for that. I don't want to come across like I am bashing him or the site, it's one of the few remaining sites I consider safe, and even...useful.

I just brought it up because I figured he or whoever polices the site might want to know. I don't like to block all ads on good sites like this...but it was becoming necessary.
We had a similar problem on my home site, but it was ad-server related and immediately addressed. This is why my first thought went to possible ad-servers.

Like I said though, things have been good for me for the past few days and thats a good thing
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote