Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-23-05, 02:23 PM   #1
locster

Default 6600GT black screen / Restart

Hi,

I get a black screen from time to time with my 6600GT..the screen goes black for 1 sec and goes back to normal this happens if the computer is idle, im surfing the web or doing graphics etc..somtimes it happens 5times in 1hour and other times its just happens once every hour..the real problem comes when I start playin games that some games just crash back to the desktop without an error or I get a black screen n my computer just restarts..I wonder how to fix this as its annoying having the black screen because once in a while the screen turns black and even im just surfing the web or just listing to music the screen stays black! the monitor LED goes orange n thats it..gotta reboot..that happens rarely but it happens so its annyoing..i tried several different drivers but its will all the drivers the same..my idle temp is around 60c and when playin for a few hours bf2 (when it doesnt act up n turn black) then I have around 80 - 83c but not more and it says in the nvidia cpanel that only from 145c the grahpic card will clock down to save itself from overheating..also I feel that my graphic card doesnt perform as good in games as it should in GTA SA on 1024x768 with everything on high 3AA and distance on LOW i get around 30 in the city n often drops to 22 fps the same with battlefield its ok sometimes but sometimes it drops to a bit under 25 on everything high but with 2AA on..

my system.

XP sempron 1450ghz @ 1950ghz
1GB Ram DDR
Gainward 6600GT 128mb
160GB hdd
locster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 06:56 PM   #2
TylerNZ

Default Re: 6600GT black screen / Restart

Wow, I am having this exact issue with my XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E! PLEASE let me know if you find a solution. I contacted XFX and they were stumped ... so they listed a whole bunch of forums! hmmm ... if I can't find a fix in the next week or so, it'll be sent back for a replacement!
TylerNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 03:18 AM   #3
locster

alright I just reformated my windows n installed everything new but that didnt help I still get my drops on certain areas on GTA to 20fps with 2AA on very high n 1024x768 and the screen still goes black once in a while..im really frustrated now as I thought a fresh clean win xp installation would solve this but it didnt..im thinkin about going back to the place where I bought the card 3weeks ago n tell them to give me another one..but until then im going to try around a bit more if i find a solution somehow/where i will let u know!
Old 11-24-05, 03:47 AM   #4
macatak

Have you tried reseating the card in the AGP/PCI-e slot ?
Old 11-24-05, 04:52 AM   #5
sharangad

Are you connecting through a DVI to VGA convertor? If you are is the convertor loose or not straight?
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 05:43 AM   #6
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Im taking a guess here, but I would suggest looking at your PSU, sounds like there maybe some fluctuations in the voltages.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 12:39 PM   #7
locster

hi i havent tried reseating the agp slot but i will give it a try now..yes im connectin through a dvi to vga converter and it is tight..just speakin about it after formating my pc again I was doing nothing at the computer (just desktop) and it turned black once every hour let say but then it turned total black and the LED light went orange on the monitor and the pc rebooted automatically..I deactivated automatic reboot now so I get a bluescreen next time so I atleast see why it was rebooting..anyways after the reboot I get a similar popup as the "send error report" from windows but it says windows is started again after a SERIOUS error. or something I had to translate the error message so I hope u understand what i mean so I didnt make it to the shop to return the card today so I give it a shot n reseating the card..my psu has 400w n it says 12v / 16a max...I was reading in another forum and it should be atleast 13a or something to run the card so I shouldnt have a problem..how do i figure out about the fluctuations???
Old 11-24-05, 01:39 PM   #8
locster

ok I tried reseating the card and even connected the dvi to vga converter in the other dvi slot and made sure its properly done but the problem still occurs..Im not sure but as I can remember the problem got worse with newer drivers..im not sure but there were times when i played bf2 and it just crashed all the time n it turned black alot (the monitor in idle or while surfing) so I switched back to the 77.77 drivers which came with my card and that seemed to have reduced the problem..but that was 3weeks ago when i did this so Im not sure if it was better or the same my "feeling" tells me the black screens are reduced lol..well I hope theres anybody here with similar problems or whatever i would be thankfull for every suggestion on how to fix this!

Old 11-24-05, 04:09 PM   #9
locster

@ TylerNZ

what monitor do u use? Are u using a crt or tft? what brand? Im running the card on a miro fp156 tft n I just tested my sisters CRT monitor n so far I didnt had any "blackouts"..but then again this blackouts just come whenever they want lol..I tried playing gta SA on 1280x1024 on my sisters CRT with high details n 2 AA but then it drops to like 20fps in most places..I also put in another PSU but with the tft its still giving me black screens..now I wait to see if there the same problems with the crt!
Old 11-24-05, 04:51 PM   #10
Smokey
Team Rainbow

The reason I got thinking about the PSU, is because yesterday I starting reading up on which PSU to upgrade to as Im going to order a second 7800GT next week . Currently Im using a el chepo Q-Tec 550W, but what it states and what it is are two different things. Although it has served me well over the last couple of years, I know it will not be enough for SLi, and maybe holding me back on my overclocking of my cpu.

Before my upgrade I had a Barton 2500+ @ 3000+ with a 5900XT, and I too had a couple black screens, but I didnt bother looking as to why as it may have only happened less than say 10 x over a few weeks, and only when I was away from my pc.

I found some interesting reading on PSUs over at the overclockers.co.uk forums
Im not saying it is your PSU, but it would be worth looking into.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 06:08 PM   #11
locster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
The reason I got thinking about the PSU, is because yesterday I starting reading up on which PSU to upgrade to as Im going to order a second 7800GT next week . Currently Im using a el chepo Q-Tec 550W, but what it states and what it is are two different things. Although it has served me well over the last couple of years, I know it will not be enough for SLi, and maybe holding me back on my overclocking of my cpu.

Before my upgrade I had a Barton 2500+ @ 3000+ with a 5900XT, and I too had a couple black screens, but I didnt bother looking as to why as it may have only happened less than say 10 x over a few weeks, and only when I was away from my pc.

I found some interesting reading on PSUs over at the overclockers.co.uk forums
Im not saying it is your PSU, but it would be worth looking into.

hi thanks for the link I will look at the link n read about the PSU..i mean right now I got my sisters PSU in my pc its also 400watt but atleast I can be sure that its not my PSU because with the tft it still gave me blackscreens..right now im using my sisters crt monitor and so far no blackscreens and ive been using it now since 2hours..i played GTA the whole time n run at 1600x1200 with 3AA but therfor details on low and it runs more or less ok..i dont see no different between low n very high details whatsoever it just kills my pc somehow lol.so 2hours success with the crt lets hope it stays that way then I gotta consider trading my tft with my sisters crt and since the tft only supports 1024x768 n 75hz n this screen up to 1600x1200 at 100hz I prefer it eventho its massive lol..I came on the idea because at my last blackout with my tft as the screen went of for 1 second it came back on with "automatic screen adjusting" so it looked like the tft just goes blank because its adjusting the screen new all the time..I found another post on some board where a guy was talkin about his tft screen going blank sometimes with the 6600gt so maybe but just maybe that guy has the same screen as me n its just the tft (miro fp156) which is causing the problems.. @ TylerNZ if u have a tft but u have somewhere a spare crt then try it but I keep u updated i let it run now for a few hours if its not turning black then we know where the problem was!
Old 11-25-05, 06:21 PM   #12
locster

well the blackouts seemed to have gone but just the once where the screen turns black for 1 sec..with the crt monitor I had now 3 total blackouts (only reboot helped)...I doubt its the PSU eventho I used a different one but wouldnt the graphiccard mess up then by playin games etc.. when its using its 3d modus @ 500mhz but those crashes mostly happen when its either idle oder im surfing the web so its at 2d modus @ 300 mhz so power wise it shouldt mess up when its using less power but it should mess up when its using more power..I think somethings wrong with the card and not with my PC since it worked perfect before the upgrade..i should have maybe sticked to ATI since my two previous cards where ATI n never had problems but tomorrow Ill return the card n hopefully I can exchange it then and there and then i think about takin the same card again or takin an ATI