Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-05, 04:02 AM   #25
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: More on the hijacking popups here

its not this site, as others have said its most likely his ISP/setup.

If even one other person reported the same issue then this would need investigating but not with just a single user.
Old 12-15-05, 09:27 AM   #26
nV`andrew
Akrynym

Send a message via AIM to nV`andrew Send a message via MSN to nV`andrew Send a message via Skype™ to nV`andrew

when not usinng a pop-up blocker, i get popups specificly from this site only. and as listed before, they take up everything. the most annoying one is winfixer2005.com or something that i keep getting when i come here and if i try exit out it quit out of nvnews, too.
i have a spyware/adware program that i just used, just ran a virus scan, and put a pop up blocker and i get some pop ups still

i turned a pop up blocker on and i just got one from sexbuddies.com lol
nV`andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 11:38 AM   #27
Superfly
Retired

I use both IE6 & IE7 and have NEVER to this day EVER had a pop-up from NVN.

I just dont think MikeC would do that.
Old 12-15-05, 12:04 PM   #28
retsam

Quote:
Your saying that even though you don't have Rage3D open, you are still making outbound requests to Rage3D? I've only seen this kind of behavior when behind a buggy proxy server. Does your ISP use a proxy? Its possible its dishing out those popup ads to you.
i dont know why i didnt think of this. it does sound like maybe your isp is doing dns redirectors..i should know i once worked with a wireless isp todo popup dns injections... that could be his cause.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 12:08 PM   #29
Smokey
Team Rainbow

If you open IE, then close IE and check task manager, you may find IE.exe still running even though you do not have it open. What you need to do is close that, and what for a file to load straight after its closed. It will only flash for a split second, so you may need to repet the process to catch the name of the file being loaded. Once the file has loaded and has disappeared, you should see the IE.exe file running again. You will need to seach for that file name that flased up for a split second, it is best doing this while in safe mode to be sure that you will be able to manually delete all files found in the same place.

I am feed up with cleaning my brother inlaws pc this way, and it is because of using IE, so I let him live with his hijacked pc now as he doesnt want to change to firefox

BTW, the reason programs and cleaners have a hard time finding these IMO, is that these files seem to hide behind the IE.exe file itself once loaded!!
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 03:02 PM   #30
retsam

arent they called browser helper objects? (BHO)...this would have been picked up with his hijackthis scan. ..
Old 12-16-05, 01:50 AM   #31
Elvin Presler

For the hundredth time, I am absolutely 100% positive I am not hijacked or have any form of spyware/adware. I reinstalled Windows clean and completely offline several times to make damned sure. I have run all the tests anyway just to satisfy the doubters here, and still some of you insist it must be me.

I'm done blabbing about it. The crap is/was coming from this site or it's java or the java its java fetches, or a banner, or whatever. Period. I've spent about 2 months now watching it. It comes from java. I just block everything now.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 02:55 AM   #32
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
I'm done blabbing about it. The crap is/was coming from this site or it's java or the java its java fetches, or a banner, or whatever. Period. I've spent about 2 months now watching it. It comes from java. I just block everything now.
What Java version you got?

In the first few Java 5.0 updates fixed security holes, to my surprise, I just checked Java site for latest update, they had released latest version 5.0 update 6 but my Java 5.0 update 5 never notified of new version, I found out that it only check for update on 25th of each month, it wont check daily.

It for the best to check Java site regular, the latest 1.5.0 update 6 download page is here. I just updated to the latest version.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-05, 08:54 AM   #33
retsam

what ISP do you have elvin?
Old 12-16-05, 09:47 AM   #34
nV`andrew
Akrynym

Send a message via AIM to nV`andrew Send a message via MSN to nV`andrew Send a message via Skype™ to nV`andrew

After the Java update, should i enable SUN Java in Internet Options/Advanced or leave it unchecked?

Thanks for the update
nV`andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 10:57 AM   #35
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
For the hundredth time, I am absolutely 100% positive I am not hijacked or have any form of spyware/adware. I reinstalled Windows clean and completely offline several times to make damned sure. I have run all the tests anyway just to satisfy the doubters here, and still some of you insist it must be me.

Im convinced you ruled out your PC, but theres still a chance it was your ISP.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 12:38 PM   #36
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Are you still getting popups from this site without using a popup blocker? If so, then I'm still not satisfied. And probably neither are you.

Have you tried using another web browser (Opera or Firefox)? What are the results? Popups with those too? With or without popup blocker enabled?

If it is a dns issue as some suspect perhaps try running your own DNS server. I am currently using Treewalk DNS on my PC. Great (free) product I might add, based on BIND.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote