Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-12-03, 08:29 PM   #1
Spotch

Default Be prepared for disappointment

I fear the worst when it comes to FX performance and stability. Dustbuster graphics is not the way of the future. I really had my hopes up on this card and the latest delays and other rumors have really dampened my desire to get another visit from the hardware fairy.

My guess is performance will be on par or slightly above when compared to my 9700 and even below par at times. That just isnt the way it ought to be 6 months after the release of a new champion.
Spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 08:33 PM   #2
The Baron

if you're going to post fanboy posts, at least post them in existing threads.

and yes, huge fan things ARE the way of the future thanks to our good buddy Moore's Law. R400 will have some insane cooling, I'll bet money on it.
Old 01-12-03, 08:40 PM   #3
Spotch

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron

and yes, huge fan things ARE the way of the future thanks to our good buddy Moore's Law. R400 will have some insane cooling, I'll bet money on it.
I bet it doesnt have a two slot setup with a noisy fan . I would wager that liquid cooling is the method of choice.

Fanboy? If I bought an FX I would be a fanboy.... get it?

No I wanted a killer card to maintain my new 6 month buying cycle . Now I fear that I may have to wait for the next product release. Oh well back to the old 12 month cycle.
Old 01-12-03, 09:16 PM   #4
styles-T
-========-

patience is a virtue..besides you have 300-500$ to drop every 6 months - when new hardware arrives..
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 09:16 PM   #5
The Baron

have you seen actual benchmarks for the FX?

what's that?

no?

then you should probably not post baseless speculation on what its speed is going to be. NOBODY knows what its speed is going to be except the guys at nVidia and any lucky bastard who has a review sample. You can only make so many guesses just from the specs.
Old 01-12-03, 09:37 PM   #6
Phyre

Quote:
Originally posted by Spotch
I bet it doesnt have a two slot setup with a noisy fan . I would wager that liquid cooling is the method of choice.
I always love the ribbing of the two slot approach. It just makes me all giddy inside. I guess that it is not widely known that most motherboards split an IRQ between the AGP slot and PCI slot 0. If you're not gonna use it, why not put something in it? Besides, the hot air is being forced out the case. I like that idea. Keeps the inside of the case cooler. Wow, what a concept.

Phyre
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 09:53 PM   #7
Spotch

Quote:
Originally posted by !plonk*
patience is a virtue..besides you have 300-500$ to drop every 6 months - when new hardware arrives..
I never said anything about $500. I expected about a $400 setback as with the 9700. ($350 second week in september two to three weeks after first availability) It will probably be that as even the GF3 was rumored at $500-$600 and came out at $400-$450.

I would prefer better performance at lower clock speeds. Perhaps a bit of innovative engineering that can allow for either higher stable operating temperatures or reduce the power dissipation of the GPU/VPU. Maybe a more mature manufacturing process is required to make the FX a more elagant solution? After all how am I gonna stick a graphics solution the size of a video cassette with a hair dryer attached to it, in my laptop?

Last edited by Spotch; 01-12-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 10:14 PM   #8
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyre
I always love the ribbing of the two slot approach. It just makes me all giddy inside. I guess that it is not widely known that most motherboards split an IRQ between the AGP slot and PCI slot 0. If you're not gonna use it, why not put something in it? Besides, the hot air is being forced out the case. I like that idea. Keeps the inside of the case cooler. Wow, what a concept.

Phyre
Yes, and if it's drawing air from outside the case it creates a very real dust problem for the FX-Flow cooling system, and the noise is an added bonus as well.

It probably cools well, but it's still a compromise.
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-03, 10:59 PM   #9
tamattack

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyre
I guess that it is not widely known that most motherboards split an IRQ between the AGP slot and PCI slot 0. If you're not gonna use it, why not put something in it?
Coz OEM PC manufacturers hate that kind of stuff. They don't even like simple fans on their heatsinks and will go out of their way to avoid them except to appease demand for higher performing parts. OEMs will hate the dustbuster and will only begrudgingly use it to satiate demand for GFFX.
tamattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 11:44 PM   #10
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron

Bah! I am getting annoyed at everyone being called a fanboy. The guy is scared ****less that Nvidia may fail with the GeforceFX. If it's true or not is another thing all together.

If I create a post saying I am **** afraid of ghosts will you say I am a human fanboy?
Old 01-12-03, 11:52 PM   #11
netviper13
Treehugger

Quote:
Originally posted by tamattack
Coz OEM PC manufacturers hate that kind of stuff. They don't even like simple fans on their heatsinks and will go out of their way to avoid them except to appease demand for higher performing parts. OEMs will hate the dustbuster and will only begrudgingly use it to satiate demand for GFFX.
nVidia isn't forcing anyone to use the two-slot cooling system. Just as Zalman found a place in CPU cooling, I'm sure there will be a quieter way to cool the GeForce FX.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-03, 12:37 AM   #12
Spotch

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Bah! I am getting annoyed at everyone being called a fanboy. The guy is scared ****less that Nvidia may fail with the GeforceFX. If it's true or not is another thing all together.

If I create a post saying I am **** afraid of ghosts will you say I am a human fanboy?
Am I the guy who is scared ****less? Well you are certainly mistaken. Why on earth would anyone be scared unless half their portfolio is wrapped in NVIDIA stock? (Sold my NVIDIA in 2001 ) I guess some people take this vid card loyalty stuff too seriously. I am an enthusiast. I love to buy new hardware and sit back and admire the miracle of how high technology progresses. Of course the best way to experience it is not to stare at a bunch of bar graphs but to feel it work first hand. (OK I do like to game quite a bit as well )

Anyhow I really thought the FX would be to the 9700 what the 9700 was to the Ti4600. Now I am pretty certain that it will not be the case. That is the cause of my DISAPPOINTMENT. It has nothing to do with FEAR.

I can only hope the R400/NV40 offers the type of huge performance increase and features that makes them true champion killers.

But thanks for the support on the fanboy remark.