Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-03, 08:17 AM   #13
spectre

Quote:
Originally posted by EciDemon
Welcome to the board

Wow thats news to me, didnt even know that GF 4 supported 6xs and 8x, I thoght only the new Radeon cards did that. I was pretty sure that the gf4 had the same AA as gf3 only more optimized. But I dont know for 100% sure as I only have a Gf3 ti 200 and havent been looking in to Gf4 much as Im planing to upgrade to something better than Gf4 next time I buy a new gfx card.

Nice tip btw.
Ill have to check it out cos it sound good. Any down sides to it ?

Ive never heard of a registy tweak for AA that gives abit better performance, You sure you dont have it mixed up with the Ansio tweak ? (that you can change in Rivatuner)

OK GF4 initially supports these FSAA modes: 2x AA, QuinCunx, 4x AA and 4xS AA (only in direct3d).
Accuview AA consists of improved multisampling antialiasing performance while keeping quality in good shape. Off course, supersampling AA still holds the best image quality. 4xS is where supersampling AA takes place but in cost of performance.
Main problems of multisampling AA is the bluriness of image. As bluriness can decrease via Anisotropic filtering, nVidia had adressed this and so we have det's 40.xx
Along with 40.xx we have new options like texture sharpening(which I think works correctly only with 42.01 and above. TS increases Aniso level in certain situations so that image is less blurred).
Also, new det's give new FSAA modes, 6xS and 8x. These modes off course will run your GF4 into its limits but you can use them for various reasons as others posted. For testing reasons for ex.

Low-level overclocking is viable when your purpose is to o/c your card in its max potential (according to your personal view, for ex. lots of users don't mind having a few artifacts) and keep it in these clocks. If you want a more flexible solution then I'd suggest driver-level overclocking via Riva Tuner.

To Cotita: Clock generator in GF4 isn't Mhz per Mhz. If you use Riva Tuner you'll notice that in memory o/c, clock goes per 13/14Mhz, so a few Mhz up or down don't affect performance. For core o/c step is lower, but still exists. Imagine how CPU's work with fsb and multiplier.
For me, if you find out in which clocks your GF can run acceptably (without errors or artifact) most applications, then you'd better use these clocks and not change them 3 or 4 times a day. Except for testing reasons. Plus, do not forget that driver-level o/c increases memory timings so decreases performance as you o/c further. That's why it's more possible to see more artifacts in low-level than in driver-level while keeping clocks the same.

Last edited by spectre; 01-08-03 at 08:44 AM.
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-03, 08:28 AM   #14
spectre

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
more info here if interested: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=4432 or http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=4626

i have not heard anything about an AA patch, only AF patch. but you already mentioned that. where did you hear about this AA patch?

OK I've figured it out. After searching in RT power user settings I found this.
"D3D_AntiAliasConvolutionFastMode" It can be enabled/disabled (true, false) via RT. It's false by default. I found that if it's true and in the same time, you enable multisample masking in RT also, then you can have a little faster AA in directX 8 games(generally the more complex ones).

But I've almost sure IQ decreases a little, not too much noticeable with latest det's 42.01 I'm using. However, I don't know if this can be applied in GF cards under GF4.
Old 01-08-03, 09:26 AM   #15
Cotita
Nvidia God

Quote:
Spectre
Plus, do not forget that driver-level o/c increases memory timings so decreases performance as you o/c further. That's why it's more possible to see more artifacts in low-level than in driver-level while keeping clocks the same.
According to Unwinder, rivatuner creator, there is no practical difference between driver and low level overclocking.

I don't know where you get that info.
Old 01-08-03, 04:46 PM   #16
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by spectre
OK GF4 initially supports these FSAA modes: 2x AA, QuinCunx, 4x AA and 4xS AA (only in direct3d).
it also supported 4x + 9tap i believe.
Old 01-08-03, 10:22 PM   #17
spectre

Quote:
Originally posted by Cotita
According to Unwinder, rivatuner creator, there is no practical difference between driver and low level overclocking.

I don't know where you get that info.
I'm talking about low-level overclocking via a bios editor. Riva Tuner's low-level o/c can't change your card's bios, rather it keeps your card o/ced all the time whereas driver-level o/c restores default clocks in suspend mode.
Old 01-09-03, 08:54 PM   #18
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Spectre> If I now use Ray Adams Bios editor to do a low level OC (thinking of doing that actually) it creates a bios file, then Im just suposed to flash with that bios file ?
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-03, 09:40 PM   #19
Lezmaka

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
it also supported 4x + 9tap i believe.
I think I know that 4xS is a kind of multi-supersample combo, but what makes this one different than regular 4x?
Lezmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-03, 09:53 PM   #20
g0at

Send a message via AIM to g0at

I got a blinding 2fps in NOLF 2 at 8x FSAA, but IT LOOKED SO PRITTY!!!!!!!!!i!
g0at is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-03, 11:12 PM   #21
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Originally posted by Lezmaka
I think I know that 4xS is a kind of multi-supersample combo, but what makes this one different than regular 4x?
4xS can AA alpha textures.
Old 01-09-03, 11:25 PM   #22
Lezmaka

I didn't mean 4xS, i meant 4x + 9-tap
Lezmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-03, 11:37 PM   #23
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Now you tell us?

4x+9tap uses a gaussian filter which "blurs" the image. Blur is not the correct term as the image is filtered. Some people call it a blur as it's the best method for them to explain what the effect is like. It looks to me like overfiltering in a good way. Anyway it sort of like QCX with 4x FSAA if you want to put it that way. Bit better at getting rid of jaggies (remember the last year when I posted Max Payne shots to show off which has more aliasing on my GF3? 4xS, 4x, and 4x+9-tap)

You may/may not like it.
Old 01-10-03, 03:15 AM   #24
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Bit better at getting rid of jaggies (remember the last year when I posted Max Payne shots to show off which has more aliasing on my GF3? 4xS, 4x, and 4x+9-tap)

You may/may not like it.
was that before or after the forums got wiped? think you could link to it if it's still around?