Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-05, 04:50 AM   #1
fujil

Default Nforce Professional 2200/2050 RH Linux drivers?

Hello, i am working for FUjitsu Siemens Computers, my question is, are there Redhat Linux WS V3 (AMD64) drivers available for Nforce Professional 2200/2050 Motherboard??

In the documentation, it says that Linux is supported, but i can't seem to find any official drivers on the net, its not even included with the motherboard kit (Gigabyte GA-2CEWH).
fujil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 11:40 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Nforce Professional 2200/2050 RH Linux drivers?

nForce drivers are provided here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

If you're looking for the sata_nv kernel module, make sure that you're using RHEL3-Update6, as the older versions did not correctly identify the SATA controller.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 07:01 AM   #3
uncleremus

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
nForce drivers are provided here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
are you saying that the nforce professional chipset is supported by the regular nforce driver package? On the page you refer to, nforce professional cards are not mentioned under "supported products". I am having _massive_ problems here with irq routing under RHEL4. essentially, no IRQ except legacy (keyboard, IDE, timer) is received.

Regards, Martin
Old 12-15-05, 12:21 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm saying that there's only one nForce driver package for Linux, and its available from the URL I specified.

However, IRQ routing problems really are unrelated to the NFORCE driver package, as all it provides are sound & networking drivers. IRQ routing is handled by your kernel & BIOS.

What kind of motherboard are you using, and which BIOS version?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-15-05, 05:56 PM   #5
uncleremus

Thanks for your reply.

I was using a new CELSIUS machine from Fujitsu Siemens Computers. It's a PCI-Ex machine. I don't have the machine here right now but I remember PCI device ID 10de:0053. I know that IRQ routing is not a matter of the nforce driver. Yet, as you probably know, the chipset and BIOS may have something to do with it.

We were trying to install RedHat EL4.0 U2. We couldn't get USB nor an external Adaptec SCSI controller nor an on-board Broadcom LAN controller working because for none of these devices IRQ routing would work (0 interrupts received). Strangely, as I said in my previous

Perhaps I should restate my question: Are there known issues with the nforce3 chip set under Linux 2.6? Is there a minimum required kernel version to have the basic chipset functions supported? Or should I assume my problems are caused by BIOS/Linux incompatibiliy issues?

Thanks, Martin
Old 12-15-05, 06:36 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The problems you're describing are kernel/BIOS issues, and more likely the BIOS than the kernel. They aren't nFORCE3 chipset issues.

Its certainly a worthwhile test to install a recent kernel (such as what ships with Fedora Core 4, SuSE-10, or the latest Ubuntu).

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-27-05, 04:37 AM   #7
fujil

Hello all,
We have been testing CELSIUS V830 Workstation here at Fujitsu Siemens Labs, we managed to successfully install Red Hat Linux enterprise WS v3 on an Nforce Pro 2200 mobo.

When i first posted here our main problem was that linux was unable to detect the SATA controller. The workaround to this is to install Red Hat linux Enterprise WS v3 WITH UPDATE 6 . This allowed the OS to detect the SATA controller nv_sata and proceed with installation / disk druid.

Right now the main problem is the USB, we tried everything and we can't seem to address this problem. We have tested this on 4 different systems with the same result, i'm guessing it is chipset driver related, OR Nforce PRo series is still not fully supported by linux. Nvidia needs to provide better support for this Chipset, rather than hack jobs.

Regards,
Finbar
Presales Executive
fujil is offline   Reply With Quote