Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-09-05, 02:30 PM   #49
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: dxtweaker

Well, I tried this little utility with NFSMW and NHL 06 and I guess they did seem a wee-bit smoother, but I couldn't tell any difference on FPS using FRAPS. Shouldn't my FPS be different with this utility or does it just make the game smoother during game play? If that is the case, then I'll keep it, if not, then I don't see a need for it. Should I try NHancer? (btw, I'm going by the setting in the screenshot posted on page 1 or 2 where the setting is at 2. Is that the correct setting?)
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 08:57 AM   #50
jolle

Default Re: dxtweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero1978
nhancer version 1.2.2 worked... going to play quake4 now... i hope this works. i'm still using the 77.50 drivers

edit: is triple buffering and trilinear filtering the same?
No, Triple buffering allocates a third framebuffer in the onboard RAM to render a Frame into, in short, if you use Vsync ON then it can keep the framerate near max (ex 60hz = 60fps, it can now drop to 59 or 58), instead of dropping to half (30) as soon as it goes below max..
half or quarters or somesuch, dont really remember..
The result in especially benchmarks is quite big since the avrage framerate will be alot higher when its not dropping to half all the time, but you generally leave Vsync OFF when benching as it limits FPS.
Cant recall exactly how that works, but its something about waiting for the other buffer to be ready with Double buffering I guess, thats fixed by using a third one..
Trilinear filtering is about filtering textures.

Drivers can force it in OpenGL (and both Catalysts and Forceware allows this), but I think there is some rule in either DirectX or the windows driver model that prohibits forcing it for D3D, and alot of games lack support for it nativly, and some has support but only if you edit INI files and such, its pretty rare that its exposed in Options, which is a shame..
Old 12-10-05, 09:09 AM   #51
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Official DXTweaker discussion thread

In order for this to work, must vsync be forced on in the driver control panel, or can it be left to application controlled and turned on in the specific application?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 09:17 AM   #52
balex99

Not sure if I am doing something wrong but it looks as if vsync is still off when playing BF2. Running 81.95s, 2 x 7800GT, DXTweaker present changer checked and set at 2.
Running 1600x1200, 8xAA, 16xAF, everything high, Vsync on. Fraps shows 45-55, doesnt seem to drop as much as before dxtweaker, but it still seems to show tearing. Just like if vsync is off. Tried running with Present changer at 4 but game would not even load so went back to 2. Are my settings to high or I am just missing something?
balex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 01:47 PM   #53
Alex Staicu

Thumbs up Re: Official DXTweaker discussion thread

Thanks for your help! It has been very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.neolink.ro
Alex Staicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 06:34 PM   #54
BLOODUK

Just wait till the beta is released fully for everyone
it simply is the best released directx tweaker created
it has totaly transformed my games.

I was so happy about it i donated money
Old 12-10-05, 06:38 PM   #55
BLOODUK

A sneak preview

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2171/15dx2.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6827/29ue1.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1440/33hl.jpg

Frame rates NEVER drop
Shadows off , Everything else on High but textures on medium
1280x1024
Old 12-10-05, 07:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by balex99
Not sure if I am doing something wrong but it looks as if vsync is still off when playing BF2. Running 81.95s, 2 x 7800GT, DXTweaker present changer checked and set at 2.
Running 1600x1200, 8xAA, 16xAF, everything high, Vsync on. Fraps shows 45-55, doesnt seem to drop as much as before dxtweaker, but it still seems to show tearing. Just like if vsync is off. Tried running with Present changer at 4 but game would not even load so went back to 2. Are my settings to high or I am just missing something?
Vsync is disabled when I run dxtweaker as well
101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-05, 09:26 PM   #57
balex99

Figured it out. Did not have a profile enabled for BF2. Thought by using global settings it would do it. Nope.

However, noticed a drop in frame rate with vsync enable and running. got out of game and disabled SLI and then went back into game. Same frame rate. Still working on it.

I am getting around 35-40 fps at 16x12, 4xAA, 16xAF, TSAA on, all optimizations off, vsync enabled, TB on. This is the same with or without SLI.

Going to keep trying. Will post back.
Old 12-11-05, 12:30 PM   #58

Anyone with SLI able to get this to work? I've been playing with BF2 and FEAR for a while and I have never even seen vsync enabled if I launch with DXTweaker and triple buffering enabled. I assume this is more hopeless AFR problems going on a year and a half now.
101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 01:01 PM   #59
BLOODUK

DirectX Tweaker 2005.2 Beta 1e For beta testers, just incase any beta
testers are checking this forum... ill report back how good it is or bad
Old 12-11-05, 02:38 PM   #60
balex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101
Anyone with SLI able to get this to work? I've been playing with BF2 and FEAR for a while and I have never even seen vsync enabled if I launch with DXTweaker and triple buffering enabled. I assume this is more hopeless AFR problems going on a year and a half now.
I seem to have gotten it to work but I am wondering if I am disabling SLI in the process. I think I have my profiles all screwed up so I am working on learning how the profiles work. Reading up on posts from OWA and SH64 and many others for that matter to try and figure it out so I can ask specific questions in the future.

One thing that does have me confused though....If I set the AA and Af that I want in the global settings how does the game know to use those settings instead of the profile settings for that game? I think I would be just as fine using the global settings each time I want to play instead of working for days trying to get the profiles to work. Thing is though it seems that the profile for the game is overriding the global settings.

Like I said I am still working on it so if I said something that shouldn't happen just bare with me.

Did not mean to get off topic. I thing Dxtweaker is working fine. Any way to fix the smiley to say Christmas instead of xmas(I hate that btw)