Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-05, 05:37 AM   #1
lifeless

Question What do the nForce drivers do that the open-source ones cannot (for nForce 430)?

Separate from my NIC problem described here, I'm generally curious as to "how much" the official nForce drivers by nVidia are needed, when it comes to nForce 430.

(Stupidity disclaimer: I haven't installed them a single time yet, just looking for preliminary information before I do )

Assuming the latest and greatest versions of open-source drivers available in the kernel tree and elsewhere are used(sata_nv, forcedeth etc), what functionality of the chipset is left out? What things simply cannot be currently accessed without the nVidia proprietary drivers?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand the way the proprietary drivers are integrated into the system, since my understanding of the Linux kernel loading process is sadly limited. Say I compile a monolithic kernel, with none of the devices installed as modules (this is what I've done so far on my server machines). Along come the nVidia drivers, installed as modules by the installer.

1. What happens if one of the in-kernel drivers provides the functionality of the proprietary module (say forcedeth instead of nVidia's driver)?
2. What facilities need to be active for the modules to be loaded during bootup? Hotplug and/or something else?

A general view of the process would be greatly appreciated.
lifeless is offline   Reply With Quote