Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-05, 05:57 AM   #1
NEO_AMiGA

Default Another "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."-thread. No solution

Hey ppl.

My first thread at this great forum. I have for two weeks tried to get the nvidia-drivers to work at my Debian 2.6.14.x (first tried at 2.6.14.2 and now 2.6.14.3) box. I have had various different errors but now after a total reinstallation i end up with the classic: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I have searched the internet for days and tried various methods but none fix the problem so now i need the help of experts! That's where you guys come into the picture. =)

I might add that i have tried both Xorg and XFree86

Had some problem with the lengths of the logs so have attached them as txt-file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt loggar.txt (21.1 KB, 258 views)
NEO_AMiGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-05, 06:43 AM   #2
joffe

Default Re: Another "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."-thread. No solut

First of all you are running a custom kernel. Can you please describe how you installed the driver? Your xorg.conf clearly states that the nvidia module failed to load. This could be due to the driver module being compiled against a different kernel source than the one you are running. Hard to say without knowing more about your install procedure.

I'm leaving this to someone who knows better - is the 1.0-7174 driver used in this case suitable for the GeForce FX 5600 NEO_AMiGA uses? The 1.0-7676 for debian seems to be in the experimental branch.
Old 12-02-05, 07:21 AM   #3
NEO_AMiGA

Default Re: Another "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."-thread. No solut

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I followed the instructions at this site:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Eandrex/De...tallation.html

I now remeber that i never got the installer from nvidia to work (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run). No matter how i did it complained about the kernel source. even though i gave it the path to it.

So this is how I ended up doing:
apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-common
m-a prepare
m-a -k /usr/src/ auto-install nvidia

apt-get install nvidia-glx
cp -p /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.bak
md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >| /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

addgroup --system video
adduser neo video
adduser root video

grep -q ^nvidia /etc/modules || echo nvidia >> /etc/modules

After some testing and so I have also added this script: http://home.comcast.net/%7Eandrex/De...dia-devices.sh

chown root:root /etc/init.d/nvidia-devices.sh
chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/nvidia-devices.sh
ln -s ../init.d/nvidia-devices.sh /etc/rcS.d/S66nvidia-devices.sh

But still no luck... =/ I have attached the nvidia bug report thingy now to. The uploader dind't take tar.gz so i just added .zip in the end of the name... To extract it, remove .zip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffe
First of all you are running a custom kernel. Can you please describe how you installed the driver? Your xorg.conf clearly states that the nvidia module failed to load. This could be due to the driver module being compiled against a different kernel source than the one you are running. Hard to say without knowing more about your install procedure.

I'm leaving this to someone who knows better - is the 1.0-7174 driver used in this case suitable for the GeForce FX 5600 NEO_AMiGA uses? The 1.0-7676 for debian seems to be in the experimental branch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz.zip (17.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 12-02-05, 11:25 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Another "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."-thread. No solution

I looked at your bug report, and basically your problem is that the nvidia kernel module can't be loaded because:
####
NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter probed!
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as rivafb or rivatv was
NVRM: loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA device(s).
NVRM: Try unloading the rivafb (and/or the rivatv) kernel module
NVRM: (or reconfigure your kernel without rivafb support), then
NVRM: try loading the NVIDIA kernel module again.
####

I don't see rivafb or nvidiafb kernel modules in your bug report. Did you compile support for either of them directly into your kernel? Something currently is blocking access to your videocard.

Does any of this reproduce if you use an official Debian kernel?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 06:09 PM   #5
NEO_AMiGA

Default Re: Another "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."-thread. No solution

No, I did not compile support for anything like that since it's listed at the walkthrough i followed as a nasty thing. =/

I'm not certain if it works with an official kernel. Don't know if i can install the nvidia drivers at the same system with two different kernels without destroying something... =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I looked at your bug report, and basically your problem is that the nvidia kernel module can't be loaded because:
####
####

I don't see rivafb or nvidiafb kernel modules in your bug report. Did you compile support for either of them directly into your kernel? Something currently is blocking access to your videocard.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-03-05, 06:43 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not aware of any reason why you cannot have more than one kernel installed on a Debian system. It certainly is safe for just about every other major distribution I've used.

I'd suggest booting into an official Debian kernel, and attempting to install & use 1.0-7676. At the least that would clear up whether your kernel is broken, or if the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 11:11 AM   #7
NEO_AMiGA

hehehe... Yeah... Of course i can have more kernels. What i mean was that i wasn't sure of if compiling the nvidia module for another kernel screws up something for my custom kernel. So that there is some conflict between the nvidia drivers and the different kernels.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any reason why you cannot have more than one kernel installed on a Debian system. It certainly is safe for just about every other major distribution I've used.

I'd suggest booting into an official Debian kernel, and attempting to install & use 1.0-7676. At the least that would clear up whether your kernel is broken, or if the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-06-05, 07:16 AM   #8
NEO_AMiGA

Now i have installed it with a precompiled module for 2.4.27-2 and that works. So something goes wrong when compiling it for my other kernel. But i need a custom kernel since it's a SMP-computer. =/

Quote:
####
####

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 12-06-05, 07:20 AM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The driver is built just fine; as I suggested earlier, please check if you're using either one of the rivafb or nvidiafb drivers. Judging from the nvidia-bug-report.log file you posted earlier, you're using the nvidiafb driver (/proc/iomem excerpt):

fd000000-febfffff : PCI Bus #01
fd000000-fdffffff : 0000:01:00.0
fd000000-fdffffff : nvidiafb
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 08:38 AM   #10
NEO_AMiGA

Oddnes... =/ HTe kernel is not compiled with nvidiafb. Must recheck to be certain. It did not work in 2.6 now either btw. Some way to disable rivfb without recompiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
The driver is built just fine; as I suggested earlier, please check if you're using either one of the rivafb or nvidiafb drivers. Judging from the nvidia-bug-report.log file you posted earlier, you're using the nvidiafb driver (/proc/iomem excerpt):

fd000000-febfffff : PCI Bus #01
fd000000-fdffffff : 0000:01:00.0
fd000000-fdffffff : nvidiafb
Old 12-06-05, 08:42 AM   #11
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Booting with video=riva:off vga=normal might do the trick.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 08:48 AM   #12
NEO_AMiGA

Seems like nvidia framebuffer was turned on after all. Didn't know it was a bad thingy to be honest and the FAQ's I have read have not meantioned that it should be turned of when compiling the kernel. The computer is building a new one now so I will report in an hour or so. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO_AMiGA
Oddnes... =/ HTe kernel is not compiled with nvidiafb. Must recheck to be certain. It did not work in 2.6 now either btw. Some way to disable rivfb without recompiling?