Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-05, 11:33 PM   #37
DeLorean

Default Re: 1.0-8174 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD
The new drivers are multithreaded too? Any info on the functionality of the multithreadedness?
I'm wondering about that, myself. There is no mention of it in the readme (that used to be a downloadable text file, pity that went away). Back when "multithreadedness" was being touted for this release, 20-30% was usually mentioned. Now it is suspiciously absent from the changelog and readme...
DeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 12:14 AM   #38
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The README is still installed with the driver as /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.txt
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 12:56 AM   #39
gcain

Send a message via ICQ to gcain
Angry Re: 1.0-8174 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe
how about suspend to ram with PCI-Express cards? does it work?

I 2nd this question!!

I waited and spent lots extra on my laptop to make sure I got the nVidia card simply because I felt they were supported better by their maker.

Was I wrong? Starting to look that way...

I've always bought and recommended nVidia to the tune of probably hundreds of highish-end cards (I work in IT). But I think this will be the last one I buy or suggest to anyone.
gcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:22 AM   #40
Bratag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcain
I 2nd this question!!

I waited and spent lots extra on my laptop to make sure I got the nVidia card simply because I felt they were supported better by their maker.

Was I wrong? Starting to look that way...

I've always bought and recommended nVidia to the tune of probably hundreds of highish-end cards (I work in IT). But I think this will be the last one I buy or suggest to anyone.
Threats like that mean nothing. If you think that the ATI drivers are any better I cant say as a an ATI user for the past 5 years - you will be dissapointed. Especially if you use cedega or wine. These drivers are a step, lets give them a day or two before we start hammering them. They cannot possibly test every setup everyone has. The beauty of OS is also one of its downfalls.
Bratag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:42 AM   #41
Druker

So, what about suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram with this release? This is really a blocking bug, nVIDIA. Is it solved with this release? And what about "X freeses but mouse pointer moves" bug? Where can I get FULL changelog, like one from kernel.org? Please advise.
Druker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:54 AM   #42
chareos

Tried... 30% performance lost in games.
GF 6600 with 256MB RAM.

Perhaps I've to buy a SLI system to get proper performance (due now it's supported)
chareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:13 AM   #43
gcain

Send a message via ICQ to gcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratag
Threats like that mean nothing. If you think that the ATI drivers are any better I cant say as a an ATI user for the past 5 years - you will be dissapointed. Especially if you use cedega or wine. These drivers are a step, lets give them a day or two before we start hammering them. They cannot possibly test every setup everyone has. The beauty of OS is also one of its downfalls.

Dont think Im making threats they are of no use in a situation like this. Somehow I can't see nVidia fixing the Suspend issue because Im going to change manufacturers, although I'd be pretty flattered and happy if they do! :P

ATI drivers have a *much* worse track record than nVidia which is why I have always recommened and bought nVidia cards. But what is the point of buying a high end card when basic requirements such as Suspend aren't supported?
I may as well saved my money and bought an Integrated No-Name and had suspend.

It's nice to be able to play games with all the fancy extras turned on but at the end of the day, if the machine cant be used for work, its of no use to anyone.
This goes for Drivers and OSS.
How does suspend affect me working on the Laptop? Well that really depends on how you use the system.
Its sad when everyone says to me "But Windows can do that!" and I can't answer with anything, especially when they have been saying it for a while now.
But we're starting to get off topic here.

The primary question still remains, does Suspend to Ram work with these drivers?
gcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:51 AM   #44
d'Oursse

there is still no improvements for the render extension.
with the benchmark of evas (a highly optimized canvas library) :

* software mode : 3.24
* xrender mode : 0.12 (RenderAccel ON)

that is, xrender is 27 times SLOWER than the software mode.

Note that with the exa support of xorg 7.0, with an ATI graphic card, the xrender mode beats the software more and is about the same speed than the gl mode. So it's not a problem in the implementation of the render mode in evas.

I know that the main priority is opengl, for the games. But, heh, we use a desktop everyday.
d'Oursse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-05, 04:24 AM   #45
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chareos
GF 6600 with 256MB RAM.

Perhaps I've to buy a SLI system to get proper performance (due now it's supported)
i have a 6600 256mb too.
when I played ut2004 yesterday after upgrading&rebooting it seemed as fast as always.

Are you sure, that your driver is installed correctly?
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 04:37 AM   #46
oli993

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffe
I am unable to get the new 1.0-8174 to work on my system... Can anyone confirm that this driver has been reported to work with a
'nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go] (rev a3)' ?
If so, I would like to know what kind of Linux distribution so that I can test the driver on a freshly installed system.

The Xorg.0.log stops at the exact same place as it did with the 8168 driver by the way...

Thanks in advance
Same situation here! The driver doesn't work on my GeForce4 420 Go 32M.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (26.4 KB, 194 views)
oli993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 06:17 AM   #47
chareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chareos
GF 6600 with 256MB RAM.

Nevermind. Iwas trying with World of warcraft via Cedega 4.3.3
in opengl. Switching to direct3d... works better than opengl with previous drivers.

I've to say...good job, so far.
chareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 09:07 AM   #48
game-master

@Zander: Will nVIDIA release driver for FreeBSD/AMD64? And are you planning to release 1.0-8174 drivers for Solaris?
game-master is offline   Reply With Quote