Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-03, 06:32 PM   #1
coilcore

Angry GeForce4 ti4200, LCD monitor, and Xwindows??

I have a Viewsonic VA720 that works great with X on other cards, but for some reason when I'm using a ti4200 it cannot detect the frequencies of the monitor and therefore will only allow me barebones SVGA (800x600) resolution.

I was reading some old postings from over a year ago and this was a standard problem but labeled as fixed in May 2002, but it doesn't look fixed to me. I'm using the most current (downloaded today) drivers and they install and run smoothly.

XFree86.0.log shows every posible mode as "hsync out of range", "vrefresh out of range", or "bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan" -- even the lowly 320x200x16 mode has this. So I think its something wrong with how the nvidia driver is probing the monitor.

Even more bizzare is that the exact same hardware (dualboot) running WinXP has no problems. So I'm convinced its a problem with the drivers or a problem in the hardware that can be accounted for in the driver.

Anyone have any good advice or suggestions on how to make this work?
coilcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 10:56 AM   #2
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

The version of X you are using does not yet know about DDR versions of the GF4. It can't probe the monitor for its ranges using whatever it's called. (ddc?) I know this b/c I also have a ti4200 and it's a major pain in my ass.

Anyway, you'll probably need to configure X 'manually' once you know the monitor's ranges from its printed manual or online documentation.
(I have had success with LCD's by stipulating a sync 'range' that consists of the maxvalue#-maxvalue#)
Don't do any of that above without 1st getting more advice from ppl who've dealt with this problem more recently and/or with recent versions of GF4 cards.

This post should be considered totally worthless as a guide to proceding ; I am just posting what I hope is a little light on the origin of the problem.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 01:43 PM   #3
Xevious

senes you shouldnt be able to damage an LCD by doing modes out of its range, maybe try putting
Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
under the device section of your XF86Config file.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote