Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-05, 01:30 AM   #1
chen23547

Default My system hanged after exiting X(using 1.0-8174)

Hello, everybody. I have got a problem on my laptop when I have 1.0-8174 installed. My OS is Gentoo 2005.1-r1 with kernel version 2.6.14.3. And my graphic card is geforce2 go.

The X(I use gnome) starts very correctly, but when I logout from it, the system whole hanged. The attached zip-file is my report. Who could tell me what's wrong with my system please?
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug_infor.zip (17.2 KB, 114 views)
chen23547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 03:08 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: My system hanged after exiting X(using 1.0-8174)

Based on your bug report, the driver is not correctly installed, as you have the 1.0-6629 glx module:
######
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.6629
Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
######

The above problem needs to get fixed. If this problem persists after you're using the correct version of glx, then I have additional questions:

0) Are you able to setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when this hang occurs?
1) Are you certain that the system is hanging? Can you ping/telnet/ssh to the system?
2) Was this problem present with 1.0-7676?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 12:06 AM   #3
chen23547

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Based on your bug report, the driver is not correctly installed, as you have the 1.0-6629 glx module:
######
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.6629
Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
######

The above problem needs to get fixed. If this problem persists after you're using the correct version of glx, then I have additional questions:

0) Are you able to setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when this hang occurs?
1) Are you certain that the system is hanging? Can you ping/telnet/ssh to the system?
2) Was this problem present with 1.0-7676?

Thanks,
Lonni
Thanks for your reply.

I removed this old-version glx module. And then umerged the nvidia kernel version 1.0-6629 that I had emerged using the commond "emerge" in gentoo. Have these done, I reinstalled the version 1.0-8174. And updated the xorg.conf file. When I startx and logout from it, the problem present again. I tried ssh/ping to my machine, but have no efforts. I'm certain that the system whole hanged. With 1.0-7676, the same problem present.

The attachment below is the new bug report. Could I please you take some time to analysis this log? Thanks very much for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug_infor.zip (20.4 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by chen23547; 12-07-05 at 12:17 AM. Reason: N/A
Old 12-07-05, 12:41 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

A few things in the bug report are catching my eye:
0) You're using a PREEMPT enabled kernel. Can you see whether a non-PREEMPT kernel reproduces this problem?
1) Please disable all framebuffer support (such that you are not specifying vga=0x318, the vesafb kernel module isn't loaded, and have a 'normal' text console at bootup)

If neither of the above changes has any imapct, then I'll need you to setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when the system hangs.

Also, what kind of laptop are you using, and which BIOS version?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-09-05, 03:19 AM   #5
chen23547

Unhappy Re: My system hanged after exiting X(using 1.0-8174)

Quote:
A few things in the bug report are catching my eye:
0) You're using a PREEMPT enabled kernel. Can you see whether a non-PREEMPT kernel reproduces this problem?
1) Please disable all framebuffer support (such that you are not specifying vga=0x318, the vesafb kernel module isn't loaded, and have a 'normal' text console at bootup)

If neither of the above changes has any imapct, then I'll need you to setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages when the system hangs.

Also, what kind of laptop are you using, and which BIOS version?

Thanks,
Lonni
I removed PREEMPT and framebuffer support from kernel, but the problem still present. I've no idea how to setup a serial console to capture kernel messages, my laptop has no serial port. Could you show me the way? My laptop is Acer TravelMate 634xv and the BIOS version is R01_C0P. The attachment is the new bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug_report.zip (17.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-09-05, 11:37 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you don't have a serial port, then that rules out a serial console.

I'm not seeing anything else unusual in your bug report at this point.

I have a few more questions:
0) Can you try booting with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel options and see if that has any impact?
1) Can you verify whether this problem is present with a window manager other than Gnome?
2) How are you starting X? Are you running 'startx' or is X getting started with something like gdm at bootup?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-10-05, 12:08 AM   #7
chen23547

Quote:
If you don't have a serial port, then that rules out a serial console.

I'm not seeing anything else unusual in your bug report at this point.

I have a few more questions:
0) Can you try booting with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel options and see if that has any impact?
1) Can you verify whether this problem is present with a window manager other than Gnome?
2) How are you starting X? Are you running 'startx' or is X getting started with something like gdm at bootup?

Thanks,
Lonni
I tried installing a fvwm instead of GNOME and booting with noapic support, But the system still hanged after I exiting fvwm. I use startx to get X started, but gdm I have used before has the same problem like startx. I really don't know what's wrong with my laptop. Not only Gentoo, the Debian linux and Fedora etc. also have the same problem.