Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-03, 02:23 PM   #1
CHEVYMAN_02
Running the Front Desk

Send a message via Yahoo to CHEVYMAN_02
Default Battlefield 1942

Has anyone played this game? I played a demo today and the have this is a great game. I plan to get the full version.
CHEVYMAN_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-03, 03:01 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up

Have full version for few months now , its not bad have alot of server / in game maps / alot of people up to 64 to battle game engine is realy good have good ping good graphics / could be better though

But after a while you get bored
Old 01-09-03, 03:15 PM   #3
Starscream
Decepticook

It's lots of fun on a lan.

Running people over in the jeep is great stuff.
Old 01-09-03, 03:32 PM   #4
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

best game ever.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-03, 04:50 PM   #5
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

It's kinda bleh online, but I love to play via lan, less n00bs or just annoying people to bad bots suck ass so I dont play ir much @ home.
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-03, 01:01 AM   #6
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
best game ever.
ditto
Old 01-10-03, 02:44 AM   #7
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

If you do not have BF already, READ THIS! Otherwise, you already know how damn cool this game is.

Yes, I must agree, it is my favorite game of all time. And to think, I got it for just $19.42! There are just so many ways the game can be played, it never gets boring. Not only are there the various classes, there are multiple options you can do with each class! Take the scout: He can snipe on the defensive to keep off assaulters, he can sight for artillery, or he can drop behind enemy lines and pick off players sitting at plane/tank spawns. And those are just the options specific to the sniper. The most versatile class has to be the engineer: He can snipe at medium range, he can mine bridges and roads, he can sneak up on tanks and throw a few det packs on them, he can booby trap spawn points or choke points, he can easily sabotage flak cannons and defense guns, and he can repair vehicles. One of my favs as engy is the ol' run-in-front-of-a-speeding-vehicle-and-throw-down-a-mine-at-the-last-moment maneuver.

There's something for everyone:

My buddy loves the big guns, so he always grabs a tank or artillery.

This other guy is a bigtime CS player, so he enjoys duking it out with small arms.

Another dude is a flight sim fan, so he's in a plane first chance he gets.

Me? I love it all! Doesn't matter, gimme a gun, bazooka, sniper rifle, tank, plane, boat.... whatever! and I'll have fun with it. The only class I don't play as regularly is the medic... really no need for one with aid stations scattered around the maps. Besides, most of the time in combat you either survive unscathed or get blown to bits...

There are just so many things to be explored, the possibilities are endless.

Not to mention the great mods in the works, and even the few that are already public beta, such as Desert Combat, Realism Mod, Conflict in Somalia, and Merciless. Don't forget all the little mini-mods that can be combined, occasionally with hilarious consequences. Oh yeah, and a kick-ass official expansion pack soon to be released.

Gawd, I know I am gushing, but I just can't get enough of this game. Maybe I shoulda just stuck with "Ditto x2."

A few downers:

1. No built-in voice com makes structured teamplay a little harder (but there are radio commands that are sufficient for most stuff).

2. Bots are terrible: they are adjustable, but unfortunately all that does is adjust accuracy. Pretty stupid otherwise.

3. A few bugs, but most have been ironed out in patches.

Well, I've gushed enough. Here are some sites where you can get all the sweetest mods, maps, skins, etc:

http://www.bfcentral.com/ -Mods news and files
http://www.bf1942files.com/file.index -Massive archives of files
http://www.battlefield1942.org -Codename Eagle mod, beta coming soon
http://www.desertcombat.com/ -Desert Combat mod, alpha released
http://www.cismod.com/ -Conflict in Somalia mod, alpha released
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-03, 03:28 AM   #8
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

LoL Koslov you a Die-hard fan of BF 1942

Old 01-10-03, 11:02 AM   #9
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Here is something I like to do.

Get a plane (easier said than done in some games).

Fly over enemy at the maximum altitude the game engine will allow.

Watch your radar, when you are directly over enemy, point the nose of your plane straight up. Just before it stalls, bail out. Don't deploy chute.

This bit is really cool because your guy gasps for breath and then screams all the way down. You also hear the air rushing past your ears. When in free fall like this you can alter course by rotating left and right, though you won't necessarily go the direction you are facing. This seems to be a bug.

Deploy your chute at the very last second. With practice you can time it so you chute is deployed for no more than a second before you land on the ground. The enemy is very unlikely to see you fall from the sky, and if you land behind a building or something they may not see your chute either.

This is also a good tactic for boarding the enemy carrier on the corel sea map. If you are assault class with a few grenades you can really mess things up.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-03, 01:27 PM   #10
ALobpreis

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
This is also a good tactic for boarding the enemy carrier on the corel sea map. If you are assault class with a few grenades you can really mess things up.
You forgot the part where the plain crashes just on your head.
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-03, 02:40 PM   #11
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

the bug I hate is when you have a plane and you drop a torpedo, or a bomb, it blows up on the plane itself, and occasionally you'll die! wtf!
Old 01-10-03, 03:46 PM   #12
ALobpreis

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
the bug I hate is when you have a plane and you drop a torpedo, or a bomb, it blows up on the plane itself, and occasionally you'll die! wtf!
That happens when you go a bit down immediately after releasing the bomb!
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote