Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Would you like NVIDIA to offer video capture support for Linux customers?
Yes 151 97.42%
No 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-05, 06:05 AM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Video capture support on Linux.

That's not entirely accurate. Future versions of the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will expose on-board i2c lines via the Linux/i2c infrastructure (i.e. as Linux/i2c adapters), not via a custom /proc interface that would be accessible from user-space, only.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 03:39 PM   #14
Ironi

Great news.
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 06:20 PM   #15
neversleep

I've got 2 XFX 6600GT's. I'd like to double the pleasure!
neversleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 07:28 PM   #16
joffe

Have any of you participated in the Adobe Linux user survey? I would love to see one of those from nvidia...
Old 12-15-05, 03:02 PM   #17
czarnyckm

Cool
czarnyckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-05, 12:20 AM   #18
jlo

Question Re: Video capture support on Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Future versions of the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will expose on-board i2c lines via the Linux/i2c infrastructure (i.e. as Linux/i2c adapters)
Is there some good documentation about how exactly the on board i2c lines will be exposed in the future, so for example rivatv driver developers could already work and have their driver ready then when nVidia releases those feature added graphics drivers?
jlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 07:07 PM   #19
darwin86

Quote:
Future versions of the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will expose on-board i2c lines via the Linux/i2c infrastructure (i.e. as Linux/i2c adapters), not via a custom /proc
This is good news. I purchased an Nvidia based Personal Cinema based on the implied promise that support for Linux would continue. This would partially fulfill that promise. I hoe it will be compatible with the phillips chip in my Personal Cinema. Thsi commitment to Linux Driver Support, by Nvidia, would solidify my commitment to their brand. My first Nvidia card was a Diamond Viper V330.
darwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 11:41 PM   #20
booter2006

Angry Re: Video capture support on Linux.

I add my name to the list.
I bought a 6600 gt vivo because it had a bunch of nice video capture stuff...then I find out that the driver from NV has tv out, but they don't want to give out the specs to the only ones doing the video out drivers...and don't want to do it themselves. That made me VERY unhappy.
Other than that, I love the card.

I'm still a die hard NV user, just one who is impatiently stamping his foot for what should already be done. Nvidia has money coming out its ears...it must to be selling so many cards (AND AT SUCH HUGE PRICES).
Why can't they make a video in driver for Linux.
I know I read that they are not wanting to possibly give away any technology which making an linux driver might do... but that's bogus. Linux home use is growing by leaps and bounds. Keep your customers happy. They might go ATI next time and set up all their friends computers with radeons. (cringe)(but it could happen)
And to add an edit...
I would have skipped the 189$ price tag and gotten a 149$ version of the same thing, which would have left me the extra money to buy a REALLY ok Linux compatible capture card. Personally I wish I could get my money back so I could do that. As it is, I'll have to pass this card on, barely utilizing it for what it was intended for.
My next card I won't WASTE the money I spent on the VIVO features...at leat not to companies like MSI that don't have up to date versions of their SPECIALIZED drivers and to Nvidia who won't give us a linux video in library.

Last edited by booter2006; 02-06-06 at 12:08 AM.
booter2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-06, 06:37 PM   #21
Dark_Knight

Quote:
That's not entirely accurate. Future versions of the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will expose on-board i2c lines via the Linux/i2c infrastructure (i.e. as Linux/i2c adapters), not via a custom /proc interface that would be accessible from user-space, only.
Is there an ETA (ie: Q3 2006) for a NVIDIA Linux graphics driver both for 32-bit and 64-bit that will support VIVO? The reason I ask is not just for NVIDIA customers using graphics cards such as the Geforce 7800 GTX that support VIVO but also because NVIDIA recently announced the release of the Quadro FX 4000/4500 SDI for broadcast/film work ( http://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_4000sdi.html ).

From NVIDIA Quadro FX page:

"NVIDIA Quadro FX SDI solutions provide two channels—fill or key—of 8-, 10-, or 12*-bit uncompressed SDI in 2K*, HD, or SD formats, and analog and digital house synchronization. It supports both Microsoft® Windows® and Linux, and works on top of existing applications, or can be easily integrated within a broadcast or video editing application through the NVIDIA API."
Dark_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 08:33 PM   #22
vallor
Packet Pimp

Lightbulb Re: Video capture support on Linux.

I have an evga 7800 GTX 512M -- just dropped $799 on it.

Now I find out that video capture isn't supported with the current drivers!

Sure, I can get the Hauppauge out of the other computer, but that will slow down one of my pci buses -- in other words, it would be ideal to be able to fully utilize the hardware.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 12:00 PM   #23
hotbelgo

Thumbs down Re: Video capture support on Linux.

I have an FX5200 personal cinema that rivatv cannot seem to support (with the 7174HL chipset). I bought it because I understood nVidia supported Linux but I learnt subsequently that there was some small print to this claim! In the linux spirit i then became the webmaster for rivatv so that I could ensure a good "health warning" was available to other potential purchasers.

Needless to say I'd love to be able to remove the warning. With the best will in the world, it does not seem that rivatv are goingto get my card running anytime soon.

I'd be prepared to offer a little cash, but I guess 60 times just a little does not really buy programmer time.

HB
hotbelgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 01:27 PM   #24
Thunderbird

The new 8756 drivers make tvin support easier as the nvidia i2c busses can now be accessed by other drivers. The rivatv guys are working on support for this.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote