Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: what do you think of DOOM III?
YEAH!!! ITS AWSOME! ITS GONNA KICK...STUFF! 14 30.43%
great game, definately buy it when it comes out 8 17.39%
its good...yes...I like it 7 15.22%
meh. could have been better. 4 8.70%
I dont like it cause my computers too crap 2 4.35%
theres a doom 3? 0 0%
ME CAVEMAN, ME EAT DOG FOR BREAKFAST 8 17.39%
the monsters scare me! 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-03, 10:38 AM   #25
nvnews-reader

Amazon is also taking preorders:

Amazon Doom 3

Says the game ships on 3/31/2003
nvnews-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-03, 10:46 AM   #26
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

They could have at least stuck to the accepted zombie idea....shoot them and they get back up all the time....unless you get them in the head. Damnit does no one watch zombie movies now!!
Old 01-18-03, 11:10 AM   #27
nvnews-reader

I'm sure there's an option to turn spawning on/off just like the original.
Old 01-18-03, 11:47 AM   #28
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Wouldnt count on it, as it's heavily based around Quake3 engine and that was already pretty much streched to it's possibilities in Quake III

Unless there's a game that could actualy take advantage of small/dark levels
Thats not true. The render engine is completely new. The stuff taken from Q3 was the server code, console stuff, and file handling stuff. Re-writing all that stuff aint gonna make it better anyway, so they didn't bother. Saved JC alot of time getting it up and running.

The sound code is completely new, and does DD on the fly. The physics system is completely new, the data (models and world files) are completely new, as is of course the renderer. This doom3 engine provides probably one of the best games making engines there has been, since q3!

Dont make presumptions on the leaked alpha. The engine will be vastly more efficient since then, and the main problem with the alpha leak was the hundreds of megs worth of sound it kept trying to load, causing massive stalling.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-03, 07:41 PM   #29
nvnews-reader

When will new games based on the D3 engine start being released?
Old 01-19-03, 07:43 PM   #30
The Baron

Probably around August or so...
Old 01-20-03, 07:48 AM   #31
Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Probably around August or so...
In what are you based to make such statement ?
Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 10:15 AM   #32
The Baron

Assuming it comes out in March, 5-6 months has been a pretty normal timeframe for iD's engines to start to show up in games. Quake 4's in progress, and I'm sure there are others that we either don't know about yet or I can't think of at the moment.

That's just a guess--if Doom3 gets delayed, we'll probably be seeing Doom3-engine games at the end of 2003.

Old 01-22-03, 08:35 PM   #33
AngelGraves13

if it ships Q2 this year, then we'll see games based on it in a year or 2, 3 for the good ones. It takes a long time to make a good game. The cheap games are done in less than a year. Learning to use their craft with the new tools in Doom 3 will take some time to get used to. I say we won't see games out using it for about a year.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 08:42 PM   #34
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 to Life
if it ships Q2 this year, then we'll see games based on it in a year or 2, 3 for the good ones. It takes a long time to make a good game. The cheap games are done in less than a year. Learning to use their craft with the new tools in Doom 3 will take some time to get used to. I say we won't see games out using it for about a year.
I disagree, there are already at least 3-4 games in development using the Doom3 engine, I dont know their names, but I am almost 100% that American McGees next game, based on The Wizard of Oz is using the Doom3 engine. That game has already been in development for around a year, Alice was a very nice quality game, only one patch ever needed and that was for Matrox cards. Alice was made in just over one year! Quak4 is another game that has been in development for sometime now.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 08:45 PM   #35
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
I disagree, there are already at least 3-4 games in development using the Doom3 engine, I dont know their names, but I am almost 100% that American McGees next game, based on The Wizard of Oz is using the Doom3 engine. That game has already been in development for around a year, Alice was a very nice quality game, only one patch ever needed and that was for Matrox cards. Alice was made in just over one year! Quak4 is another game that has been in development for sometime now.
Alice was a horrible game....jumping reminded me of old boring games. I don't like jumping puzzels, I'm not 6 anymore. I hope their next game is more mature than Alice was. They made it freaky, but it was like a Sonic 3d game.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 07:54 AM   #36
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 to Life
Alice was a horrible game....jumping reminded me of old boring games. I don't like jumping puzzels, I'm not 6 anymore. I hope their next game is more mature than Alice was. They made it freaky, but it was like a Sonic 3d game.
What the hell did you expect? its an action/adventure and Alice was rated as a very good game, even by todays games, it still looks damn nice. The whole game had great design, sound music, graphics, bulk standard liner storyline. Just becqsue you didnt like makes it a terrible game, that like me saying WC3 is so boring and uninteresting, but I dont like RTS games so why would I like it?
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote