Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-05, 07:51 PM   #1
jro

Default Nvidia driver that supports Landmark Geoprobe and Roxar RMS

Seems like there is a long and hard way to get an Nvidia driver for Linux RHEL3 x86_64 (AMD) and Quadro FX3400 / FX4500 that will work OK with several Gas&Oil applications.

6629 works with Roxar RMS but Landmark Geoprobe crashes.

7174 / 7676 works with Landmark Geoprobe but crashes Roxar RMS
7174 is also very unstable!

8174 works with Roxar RMS but Landmark Geoprobe crashes.

According to Roxar a 8176 is just released and it is supposed to work with both Roxar RMS and Landmark Geoprobe. Only one thing is missing :-) The driver out on Nvidia's download page is 8174 which is not working with Geoprobe. So does anyone know where the 8176 driver is available ?

Kind Regards,
J.
jro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 08:00 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Nvidia driver that supports Landmark Geoprobe and Roxar RMS

I've personally run GeoProbe with RHEL3 (x86_64) using 1.0-8174 without problems, so I suspect whatever problem you're running into is more involved than just 'GeoProbe crashes with 1.0-8174'. I should also note that I've been in direct contact with Landmark (who tests nvidia drivers heavily with geoprobe, including 1.0-8174) and they haven't reported any problems either.

Please generate and post a bug report immediately after the geoprobe crash, along with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem (including any neccesary datasets).

I'm not sure why Roxar told you that a 1.0-8176 driver just released fixes a problem, as no such driver version has been released. When I spoke to a Roxar representitive last week they stated that their application was working fine with 1.0-8174 (although there were problems with earlier versions).

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 10:26 PM   #3
jro

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I've personally run GeoProbe with RHEL3 (x86_64) using 1.0-8174 without problems, so I suspect whatever problem you're running into is more involved than just 'GeoProbe crashes with 1.0-8174'. I should also note that I've been in direct contact with Landmark (who tests nvidia drivers heavily with geoprobe, including 1.0-8174) and they haven't reported any problems either.

Please generate and post a bug report immediately after the geoprobe crash, along with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem (including any neccesary datasets).

I'm not sure why Roxar told you that a 1.0-8176 driver just released fixes a problem, as no such driver version has been released. When I spoke to a Roxar representitive last week they stated that their application was working fine with 1.0-8174 (although there were problems with earlier versions).

Thanks,
Lonni
thx for the quick reply! Lonni.

We had a meeting with Roxar last thursday. Thats when they claimed that the 8176 driver was just released. Since we could not find it, we assumed that it was either just released for partners or they had something wrong in the history.

Geoprobe runs OK on 7676, crashes on qubes larger than 12GB with 8174 driver. We have contacted Landmark and HP regarding this issue.

Kind regards,
J.
Old 12-11-05, 10:39 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you can provide me with the dataset that causes the crash, and a bug report, I'll be happy to investigate further.

Again, I'm not sure why Roxar stated that a 1.0-8176 driver was just released, as there was no such version last week.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-12-05, 09:34 AM   #5
jro

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you can provide me with the dataset that causes the crash, and a bug report, I'll be happy to investigate further.

Again, I'm not sure why Roxar stated that a 1.0-8176 driver was just released, as there was no such version last week.

Thanks,
Lonni
Hi Lonnie,

Thx for the quick response :-) Roxar ment 8174. RMS is working OK.
Our Geoprobe users has testet WS U6 x86_64 and 8174 with good result. It is working. Even with 12,8 GB qubes. It failed on U5. We will now roll out on 200 clients when all the tests have completed ok and the testgroup agree in proceeding..

There was a bit confusion here, but it has been clearified now.

Thx.
Kind regards,
J.
Old 12-12-05, 10:05 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks for the update. I suspect that you were hitting the change_page_attr kernel bug in RHEL3-Update5, which was resolved in Update6.

Glad to hear that all seems to be well now.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-12-05, 02:23 PM   #7
davidwest

Hi J!

I'm very interested in you're testing. I too work in the Oil industry and have been landed with sorting out our own mainly GeoProbe crashing issues. Been working closely with Landmark and Nvidia for a while, but yet to find a 100% stable build.

I'm keen on you're last posting which looks positive. Have you rulled out U5 and are using U6 now? Are you setting all the kernel settings as per Geoprobe 3.2 manual?

We're using Sun boxes and testing U5 with 8174 and so far so good, but U6 is ready to go for testing if we have just 1 crash. I'm very interested to hear you're outcome.

TIP: Watch out for U6 MPTFUSION module, it contains a bug which causes crashing in anything Geoprobe 3.2.1 because of Direct I/O feature. Fix is either U7(not released yet) or install the 2 suspect U5 libraries. This was Landmark's recommendation too.

Brendan.
davidwest is offline   Reply With Quote