Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-05, 03:29 PM   #1
emsa

Default Dual X screens fails

Hi,

I'm trying to get two displays going on my vaio (GeForce Go 6200).

Using TwinView works just fine but what I'd like to do is to use separate X-screens for my two monitors. So I add a second Device (a copy of the first one) and maps that to a second Screen (as described in the docs).

X restarts just fine but it seems like both Screens gets mapped to both monitors. Running nvidia-settings also shows both DFP-0 and CRT-0 under "Display Device" for both :0.0 and :0.1. This can't be right? Is this a bug or is there something that I miss here?

Thanks,

/Magnus
emsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 03:36 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Dual X screens fails

The idea behind separate X screens is that both outputs get their own independant X screen which appears to be what you have now. You could run lets say a gnome desktop on the first and a kde desktop on the other.

Using normal twinview you can display the same image on both outputs 'clone' or you get a big desktop. You can also get this big desktop using separate X screens if you want. To get it you need to enable 'Xinerama' in the ServerFlags section.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 03:56 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 08:53 AM   #4
emsa

Quote:
The idea behind separate X screens is that both outputs get their own independant X screen which appears to be what you have now. You could run lets say a gnome desktop on the first and a kde desktop on the other.
Yes that is what I want - the problem however is that the X-screens both spans both monitors - so basically I have two X/Gnome running on top of each other.

Quote:
Using normal twinview you can display the same image on both outputs 'clone' or you get a big desktop. You can also get this big desktop using separate X screens if you want. To get it you need to enable 'Xinerama' in the ServerFlags section.
Yes - all TwinView modes works as they should. (You should actually disable Xinerama to take advantage of the build in Xinerama in the driver.)

[Bug report submitted]

Thanks,
/Magnus
emsa is offline   Reply With Quote