Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-05, 04:11 AM   #1
steinnes

Default Geforce Go 7300

Hi everyone, I've got a brand new Asus A6000Km laptop running a Geforce Go 7300, which is not currently supported even by the 81.74 driver release.

I see that it is supported by the 82.xx drivers, and I'm rather curious when I can expect to see drivers from that branch available for download under Linux?

P.S.
I'd like to thank any nvidia employees that happen to be lurking around here, because your Linux support is one of the best in the business I think, and I always buy nvidia cards because of the good driver support in Linux.
steinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 10:13 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Geforce Go 7300

A driver which supports your GPU is expected early in 2006.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 04:35 PM   #3
steinnes

Thanks for the information, I can't wait :-D
Old 12-14-05, 07:25 AM   #4
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Does it work with the "nv" driver?

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 05:16 AM   #5
steinnes

Sorry, haven't been on here for a while, but yes 2D works with the nv driver, however I'm experiencing some glitches, especially when running KDE apps (I'm using gnome), it will often result in redraw problems, windows staying like they are, or random colours and shapes appearing in parts of the screen which should be redrawn. Switching to one of the base consoles, and then back to the X console seems to fix this.
Old 01-26-06, 01:05 PM   #6
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

I am amazed that NVidia can just go in and say "ups, your super-duper top-of-the-line Notebook is not supported in the drivers".

I mean, how different hardware-wise can this new mobile chip be? I suppose the specs of this chip should have been available to the driver team before the chip is even released in hardware.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 05:10 AM   #7
agriao

Hello there!
I have this problem as well and the frustration piles up the more i search for a solution. I have this notebook with GeForce 7300 fore more than 2 months now and not even a sign of the nvidia driver. I always appreciated nvidia's easy linux support in the past. Starting to change my mind though... When does "early 2006" arrive by the way?? Does "early" mean one, two, three ++ months?

Just a few addings to what steinnes says:

The screen can mess up a bit with everything, though much more frequently with KDE apps. Firefox as well.
Swithching to text only session and returning to the X session works almost fine, at least for me. Though i need to kill the app that started the error.
These errors seem to be less frequent under gnome and xfce than other wms that i tried and which i unfortunately prefer (fluxbox, enlight, kde).

Anyway, my intuition says the error is somewhere in the shared memory. And ah yes! the oddest of the oddest: once in a long while, instead of striped windows and white noise all over i get images of things i used previously in bad colours. Even in other sessions and EVEN a snapshot of a win XP welcome screen or whatever!! I used win like twice since i have the pc, but it seems my sin has to be punished with windows welcome screen apparitions for all eternity. Unless nvidia people finally decide to put an end to this.

And no, the nv driver doesn't work so well. For example, i can't even see this forum without an instantaneous graphical disaster need to spend my time at work instead.
agriao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 05:37 AM   #8
agriao

And well, if anyone cares... it's an asus a6Km like steinnes's i'm talking about.
And to show to the world my plague, take a look at the screenshots (attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen1.png
Views:	741
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16135  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen2.png
Views:	561
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	16136  

Old 02-09-06, 09:58 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The next released driver will include GeForce 7300 support.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 11:42 AM   #10
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
A driver which supports your GPU is expected early in 2006.

Thanks,
Lonni
How much this 'early' will be?

Windows users can use unofficial betas. They get driver with hardware in box. How about releasing betas also for Linux?
There are some people here which will take any support in driver for their unsupported cards. I would be happy using beta version knowing the consequences to get any support for new hardware.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 04:17 AM   #11
agriao

Indeed!

And thinking nvidia kind of proudly shows off its linux support.
All this is a huge non-sense. Have a notebook with an nvidia GPU for 3 months now and not a glimpse of an official driver. I bought the damn chip i want the damn driver. As simple as this.
This is assimptotically ridiculous. How can they just put the thing out in the market, selling it "through their partners" or whatever that is without other cares.
Linux support? a joke it must be. At least, a joke it became. I've owned several nvidia gpu cards with no linux/bsd/whatever support problems before, i gave it a little time for this one, but now it's getting unreasonable.
I wonder if i'll ever buy nvidia again. Probably not.
And the most the support team can say is something like "early 2006" in one or two sentences...
Old 02-21-06, 02:39 PM   #12
directedition

Geez, let's not get all huffy about it. I want a driver for my Go 7800, but I don't want it till it's ready. Shouting about it won't make it arrive any earlier.
directedition is offline   Reply With Quote