Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-05, 01:00 PM   #1
charlesa

Default Very crazy DPI problem (err.. one more question)

(EDIT: Err, one more question)

I start X like this:

startx -- -layout CRTOnly -dpi 96

I have this in my xorg.conf (though perhaps it is misplaced?):

Option "DPI" "96x96"

After all this, when I run 'xdpyinfo | grep resolution' I get:
resolution: 75x75 dots per inch

Now I know there have been some EDID changes with this release, but I have been using the EDID my monitor sends to set my modelines, etc. before this release. It returned this unacceptable (to me) DPI in the past and I simply got around it by explicitly specifying the DPI on the command line. Why doesn't this work anymore?

I'm going to attach my xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log, and the output of xdpyinfo.

edit: I added the 'Option "UseEdidDpi" "False" ' as well and I still get 75x75 DPI!
Attached Files
File Type: zip dpiproblems.zip (10.7 KB, 131 views)
charlesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 01:34 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Very crazy DPI problem

I have a few questions:
0) Why are you using the ConnectedMonitor option? Does this problem persist if you do not use it?
1) Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5
and then generate and post a bug report
2) Your xdpyinfo indicates that you are running at 1600x1200 resolution, yet your X log indicates that you were running at 2048x1532. Can you clarify this?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 01:44 PM   #3
charlesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Why are you using the ConnectedMonitor option? Does this problem persist if you do not use it?
1) Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5
and then generate and post a bug report
2) Your xdpyinfo indicates that you are running at 1600x1200 resolution, yet your X log indicates that you were running at 2048x1532. Can you clarify this?

Thanks,
Lonni

0) I am using the ConnectedMonitor option because I am using my laptop in a docking station and only want the output going to my CRT. Without the option the problem does not persist, i.e. when I run it with my laptop screen I don't get the problem.
1) I'll try that and make another reply(though it will have to be startx -- -logverbose 5 -layout CRTOnly -dpi 96 , right?)
2) I believe this is because I let X grab all the monitor info and I don't actually specify any resolutions in the xorg.conf file, so when X starts it may well be in that resolution, but I have xrandr automatically resize the screen after X starts.
Old 12-13-05, 01:54 PM   #4
charlesa

Attached are my updated files, after running with:

startx -- -layout CRTOnly -dpi 96 -logverbose 5

I'm still getting the 75x75 DPI.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dpiproblems2.zip (11.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 12-13-05, 01:55 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The ConnectedMonitor option is not meant for specifying which display device should be used. It is meant for notifying the driver about a display device that could not be normally detected through standard probing (such as when using a KVM).

Currently, the nvidia X driver defaults to using CRTs, so if you have a DFP and CRT connected, with only a single X screen specified in your X configuration, only the CRT should be used.

If you really want or need to not use the DFP, then you should use the IgnoreDisplayDevices option, so that the CRT gets properly handled by the driver.

Also, please try specifying the resolution that you wish to use in the Screen section of your X configuration.

Please start X with the command I requested, with the suggestions I just provided, and post a bug report if you continue to experience problems.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-13-05, 02:04 PM   #6
charlesa

Thanks Lonnie, that fixed everything. The main reason I really needed to not use the DFP was that it wasn't properly turning off when I closed the lid if I use both it and the monitor in X, and I don't want to kill the backlight. Thanks for the clarification about the config.
Old 12-13-05, 02:21 PM   #7
charlesa

One last question:

Is there a way I can avoid having two layouts? The problem is that while the driver will detect whether or not to use the CRT, my CRT can support 1600x1200 while my laptop screen can only do 1400x1050. So it seems like I'd have problems without seperate monitor sections.
Old 12-13-05, 09:41 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

What you could do is run with TwinView, and create additional pairs of MetaModes with a NULL mode for either the DFP or CRT, so that only one would be in use at any time.

-Lonni