Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-02, 01:43 AM   #1
decay

Default New New New New Driver - Still No DVI

Another new driver, still no DVI. The word new is repeated for as many times as drivers I have installed hoping to get DVI to work.

At least it's consistent:

Hook up the DVI cable, X goes to sleep. Must blindy Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and type reboot.

Add the "dfp" option, X locks the machine up.

DVI works fine in W2K.

I did the whole debugging thing about 3 or 4 drivers ago, and never heard anything.

Anyone?
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 03:37 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Let's start over from the top.

Shut down your machine, and only hook up via the DVI port. Boot the machine. What's listed as your vbios revision?

Boot to runlevel 3. Do you get a console?

Edit your XF86Config-4 file, and comment out *all* nvidia driver options. When that's done, add 'Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"'

Take a look at your HorizSync and VertRefresh - do they make sense? Are they too high? If your panel doesn't offer EDIDs, these values will be used.

Start plain X (ie: 'X'). If it fails, post the log.

Have you tried small resolutions? (640x480 only?)

--andy
Old 09-16-02, 05:47 PM   #3
decay

[quote]Originally posted by Andy Mecham
[b]Let's start over from the top.

Shut down your machine, and only hook up via the DVI port. Boot the machine. What's listed as your vbios revision?

I have a VisionTek 6960...it does not report a BIOS version on boot. I no longer have Windows installed on the machine, but it told in there once. I believe it was 3.1xxxx. I mentioned in previous messages about 8 months ago.

Boot to runlevel 3. Do you get a console?

I boot to text mode anyway.

Edit your XF86Config-4 file, and comment out *all* nvidia driver options. When that's done, add 'Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"'

Take a look at your HorizSync and VertRefresh - do they make sense? Are they too high? If your panel doesn't offer EDIDs, these values will be used.

Start plain X (ie: 'X'). If it fails, post the log.

Have you tried small resolutions? (640x480 only?)

I will try some of these things you suggest (again), but it locks up the machine hard, so that I have to boot to single user mode to perform fsck on the volumes.

BTW, my panel is a Philips180P.
decay is offline   Reply With Quote