Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-05, 01:09 PM   #1
pauljohn

Default suspend OK; resume fails--dark screen (8174 patched, kernel 2.6.14)

I use Fedora Core 4, kernel 2.6.14 (all versions from FC) with newest Nvidia 8174 after patching with NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-8174-1423627.diff.txt. I have Dell Latitude D800 with Nvidia Geforce 5200.

After using the patch, I can suspend just fine, but the video will not come back to life while in X.

I am able from the console to suspend and resume, but only if I use the (somewhat brutish, IMHO) tools supplied by vbetool. For example, in the console, this does work.

#Console suspend script
/usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/videostate
echo mem > /sys/power/state
/usr/sbin/vbetool post
/usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/videostate

However, inside X, this certainly does not work. The vbe things cause a general X disaster, with totally distorted screens and a locked keyboard.

If I don't use those vbetool tricks, then the acpi script does suspend to ram correctly and when the machine resumes, everything but the video does turn back on. The video stays dark, but I can tell the system's up because the keyboard lights respond to "caps lock" and because I can type "/sbin/shutdown -r now" and the system does restart.

I understand this problem is an interaction between some kernel problems and Nvidia problems. I just post here eagerly to find out if other laptop users experience the same.

I was very hopeful today when FC4 team released kernel-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4. This one's announcements had encouraging things to say about ACPI support.
But no, same black screen.

Oh, yes, here's my sleep script from /etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh

#!/bin/sh

# do not got to suspend mode if some command fails!
set -e

PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"

# function will only remove modules if they are loaded
rmmodules () {
mname=$1
if grep $mname /proc/modules ; then
/sbin/rmmod $mname
fi
}

# if network is up, shut it down!
if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/network ] ; then
/sbin/service network stop
fi

# remmod all problematic modules
rmmodules tg3
rmmodules uhci_hcd
rmmodules ehci_hcd
rmmodules hci_usb
rmmodules ipw2200

echo mem > /sys/power/state
/sbin/hwclock --hctosys

#load modules
/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ipw2200
pauljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 03:52 AM   #2
rbirdman

Default Re: suspend OK; resume fails--dark screen (8174 patched, kernel 2.6.14)

Try this thread?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59214

Also try _not_ removing the IPW220 driver if you use the latest. I found that caused problems.
rbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 12:54 AM   #3
Voluspa

This fixed the dark screen here:

[...]
# Save current console number.
ORIGVT=$(/usr/bin/fgconsole)

# Change to a nongraphical console.
/usr/bin/chvt 6

# IMPORTANT! Turn off DPMS!
/bin/su loke -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms"
[...]
# Turn on DPMS.
/bin/su loke -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset +dpms"

# Return to previous console.
/usr/bin/chvt $ORIGVT

The flip between consoles is just to initialize the USB - eg external mouse. DPMS was the real culprit on my GeForce FX Go5700 equipped notebook. Issue remaining is the garbled consoles outside of X after this operation.

I also loose sound (reboot necessary), but that's an alsa problem I assume ;-)

Turning off/on DPMS is done here by su-ing to the user owning X, since I ran the script as a root experiment. In a real world scenario the normal user should sudo run most commands, but xset would be available without that measure.

Mvh
Mats Johannesson

PS: I don't use vbetools or anything else, am on a x86_64 cpu. And I do _not_ pass any kernel boot params specific to the video - which are recommended when suspend/resume doesn't work.
Voluspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 05:31 AM   #4
kriko
openSuSE11

I have same problem here, my comp suspend / resumes fine if I launch suspend from console (no X). But, when I try to suspend from X, on next boot, monitor shuts down.

Voluspa: what program loke? Where can I get it?

My distro: SuSE 10, geforce 6600 (Albatron), btw my card is having some issues with monitor / tv outputs, so it might be related to this problem.
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 06:42 AM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@pauljohn: does the display come back if you suspend from within X, resume, switch to a different VT and back to X?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 06:50 AM   #6
Voluspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
Voluspa: what program loke? Where can I get it?
Eh... loke is not a program, it is my username (the account on the box). So what the line for DPMS is saying is:

"Hey, this is root talking. I'd like the program xset to turn off DPMS on the X server run by user loke. Well, in fact, I _command_ you to do it!"

So to get the same effect while running as yourself, just open a console and type "xset -dpms" and then run your suspend script or whatever.

Mvh
Mats Johannesson

@zander I'd be very surprised if his screen came back when vt switching after a suspend/resume. It doesn't here. As you see dpms must be off on my system, then there's no problem. Otherwise I experience the exact same thing as he does (alive computer behind a black screen).

@kriko I just realized that you are talking about "on next boot". That is you are suspending to disk, which the nvidia driver doesn't support reliably. It most often just spontaneously reboots after the boot... This thread starter use suspend to memory - which works somewhat... correctly for some people some of the time.

Last edited by Voluspa; 12-17-05 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Adding a note to kriko
Old 12-17-05, 07:29 AM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Voluspa: depending on the hard- and software components used, mileage with ACPI S3 (suspend to RAM) varies greatly, fairly generic symptoms (such as black screens) experienced on different setups are not necessarily caused by the same problem. ACPI S4 (suspend to disk) is not currently supported.

@pauljohn: does disabling DPMS, as suggested by Voluspa, have an impact on suspend/resume cycles on your system?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-05, 07:29 AM   #8
Voluspa

I just booted a suspend2 patched kernel http://www.suspend2.net/ http://wiki.suspend2.net/HomePage and with this I do not have to turn off dpms before suspend. Screen comes back in all its glory (but the nvidia garbled consoles remain ;-) Go figure... For this reason alone I wish they'd kick out swsuspend from the kernel and just plug in suspend2.

Ok, time to really dig into the via82xx sound problem.

Mvh
Mats Johannesson

Old 12-23-05, 12:07 AM   #9
pauljohn

Still, no joy on this Dell Latitude D800. If I do

xset -dpms

before trying to suspend to memory, the system still suspends, but the video does not wake up.

Concerning the advice from Voluspa, it does not make sense to me to switch to vt6 before trying the xset command. xset only works for me inside X, in vt7 or higher. If I try to run xset in vt6, the system refuses and says it can't open the display.

pj
pauljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 02:40 AM   #10
kriko
openSuSE11

I just tried suspend to ram, but my comp doesn't seem to resume at all. Is there a reliable way to determine if comp is working? My usb doesn't work after resume (and so my keyboard / mouse). Monitor is showing »please check connection...« status and then it shuts down.
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote